Cocoa Meringues

  • Bruce and Leslie McAvity
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28 1:07 PM
      I found this recipe which is great way to showcase our "cocoa" and our "Belgian Chocolate".
      I have been taking meringues to all my February presentations, drizzled with either Milk or Dark Chocolate......showcasing 2 - 3 products.
      This recipe make LOTS, tastes/looks good, easy to make and
      Meringues are low fat.
      Store them, covered loosely, at room temperature and they should keep for at least three weeks.

      Cocoa Meringues

      5 large egg whites
      l cup extra-fine sugar
      1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa

      Combine sugar and cocoa.

      Beat egg whites in large mixing bowl with electric mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until stiff but not dry.  Sprinkle in 1/4  cup sugar/cocoa mixture over egg whites: beat 3 minutes.  Sprinkle remaining sugar/cocoa mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, over egg white mixture; fold in gently but thoroughly, using rubber spatula.
      Put egg mixture into Decorating bag and pipe into small dollops (about the size of toonies, shaped like a Hersey Kiss) onto parchment lined pans.
      HINT:  If you don't have the decorating set you can fill a Ziploc bag up, seal shut, removing all the air and cut a small hole in one corner and squeeze the egg mixture out into the shape you like.

      Bake in preheated 250 deg oven for 50 minutes...shut oven off and leave meringues in for another 45 minutes.  The meringues should not have browned only dried and feel very light.

      If you keep the size of the dollops small you should get about 100-150 bite-size serving size pieces.

      At home or at the presentation I melt either Milk or Dark Chocolate and drizzle it over the meringues.
      HINT:  put your chocolate chips into a small sandwich bag, tie the top and set the bag of chips in a bowl over hot water.  The chips will melt beautifully and all you have to do is cut the corner of the bag and drizzle/pipe a beautiful stream of chocolate.

      Leslie McAvity
      Unit Leader, All Season Gourmets

    • Bruce and Leslie McAvity
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2001
        I found this recipe which is great way to showcase our VE "cocoa" and our VE "Belgian Chocolate".
        I took meringues to all my February presentations, drizzled with either Milk or Dark Chocolate......showcasing 2 - 3 products.
        This recipe make LOTS, tastes/looks good, easy to make and
        Meringues are low fat.
        Store them, covered loosely, at room temperature and they should keep for at least three weeks.

        Cocoa Meringues

        5 large egg whites
        l cup extra-fine sugar
        1 1/2 Tbsp VE Cocoa

        Combine sugar and cocoa.

        Beat egg whites in large mixing bowl with electric mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until stiff but not dry.  Sprinkle in 1/4  cup sugar/cocoa mixture over egg whites: beat 3 minutes.  Sprinkle remaining sugar/cocoa mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, over egg white mixture; fold in gently but thoroughly, using rubber spatula.
        Put egg mixture into Piping bag(in our Decorating Kit) and pipe into small dollops (about the size of toonies, shaped like a Hersey Kiss) onto parchment lined pans.
        HINT:  If you don't have the Decorating Kit you can fill a Ziploc bag up, seal shut, removing all the air and cut a small hole in one corner and squeeze the egg mixture out into the shape you like.

        Bake in preheated 250 deg oven for 50 minutes...shut oven off and leave meringues in for another 45 minutes.  The meringues should not have browned only dried and feel very light.

        If you keep the size of the dollops small you should get about 100-150 bite-size serving size pieces.

        At home or at the presentation melt either VE Milk, Dark or White Chocolate and drizzle it over the meringues.