AmeriCorps Position Description
Position Title: Program Manager
Project Sponsor: Oregon Wave Energy Trust www.oregonwave.org<http://www.oregonwave.org
NWSA Mission: This position is in partnership with the Northwest Service Academy (NWSA), an AmeriCorps program of ESD112. NWSA's mission is: To preserve and restore the natural environment, and to develop community leaders through service and community partnerships. www.northwestserviceacademy.org <http://www.northwestserviceacademy.org/
Project Location: Portland, Oregon
Position Summary: OWET seeks a program manager who will be primarily responsible for managing the entire suite of studies, reports, and industry programs that form the core of OWET's mandate. Our goal is to efficiently invest resources in programs that help promote a responsible wave energy industry in the state of Oregon.
OWET was created by the Oregon Economic and Community Development Department through the Oregon Innovation Council in 2007. We have a diverse board made up of community leaders from around the state engaged in environmental, fishing, government, and industry, all with a keen interest in renewable energy. Economic development is also a core part of our mission and a viable candidate must be comfortable with addressing environmental and climate change related problems through the lens of responsible development of our resources.
OWET's mission is to serve as a connector for all stakeholders involved in wave energy project development--from research and development to early stage community engagement and final deployment and energy generation--positioning Oregon as the North American leader in this nascent industry and delivering its full economic and environmental potential for the state.
General Responsibilities (to include, but not limited to):
* Learn and execute the position of program manager.
* Collaborate with the Executive Director in the operation of OWET.
* Develop fluency in the general policies and issues related to renewable energy development and wave energy in particular.
* Support OWET by attending and participating in planning team meetings and performing related tasks such as writing, note-taking, organizing, and web support.
* In collaboration with the Executive Director, monitor and manage all program related materials. (e.g. scope the program, draft RFPs, review RFPs, select and award contracts, negotiate and execute contract requirements, monitor milestones, and review final reports to ensure RFP goals are met.)
* Prepare reports and presentations for Board meetings.
* Maintain communications with OWET stakeholders.
* Provide outreach and education opportunities for coastal communities.
* Complete and submit all necessary OWET, NWSA and AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
* Wear an NWSA uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events.
* Attention to detail.
* Ability to communicate with professionals who are often at the height of success in their fields.
* Ability to be an effective spokesperson for wave energy-demonstrating knowledge and passion.
* Ability to work independently, collect data and manage information, check work for errors, make decisions about workload priorities and estimate length of time to accomplish time-critical tasks.
* Demonstrated written and verbal skills, including some presentation and public speaking skills.
* Positive and flexible attitude with strong work ethic.
* Applicant must be 18 years of age or older at beginning of service term.
* U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
* Ability to commit to the full term of service for which you are applying.
* Successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check provided through NWSA and/or Project Sponsor Agency.
* Regular and reliable attendance.
* Have not previously served two terms in an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members may serve up to three terms in a National Service Program, but only two terms may be within an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members are only eligible for an education award for their first two terms of service, regardless of the type of term (full or part-time) and regardless of the successful completion of that term.
* Computer literacy in Microsoft Programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Publisher).
* High level of customer service with a variety of individuals.
* Possess strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
* Independent, self-motivated, cooperative person who can work in a team and individually.
Member Benefits Include:
* A taxable, monthly living allowance (before taxes, approximately $1,250).
* Training fund of up to $500.
* Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members receive an education award of $4,725. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans, for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
* Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable).
* Basic medical insurance (covers members only, not dependents; vision and dental not included).
* Child care allowance for those who qualify.
* OWET provides the opportunity to become part of a team of individuals equally committed to service to the environment and to the community.
* Personal vehicle is required for service activities and mileage reimbursement is approved.
* Must have a valid driver's license, clean driving record and ability to provide documentation.
* Project site is accessible by public transportation.
Application Deadline: On-going until filled. NWSA Center: Lower Columbia Center
Interviews: No set schedule. Open until filled. Type of position: Professional Placement (P2)
Service Dates: 11 months, full time.
How to apply:
Step 1: Submit an interest letter and resume to Jason Busch at JBusch@...
> No phone calls or visits please.
Step 2: Complete your application and send it to Margi Guilfoyle at margi@...
>: (All application materials can be found on the "How to Apply" page of our website)
* Application - Complete the AmeriCorps Application. It may be submitted by mail, fax or email
* Two Written References - Please ask your recommenders to complete the NWSA Reference Form. It may be submitted by mail, fax or email.
* Certification Form - Print, sign and date the Certification Form. This document MUST be submitted by mail or in-person to our offices at 55 SE Main, Portland OR 97214.
Questions about the position? Contact: Jason Busch at JBusch@...
General questions about P2, Northwest Service Academy, or AmeriCorps? Contact:
Professional Placement Coordinator
NWSA Lower Columbia Center
55 SE Main Street, Portland, OR 97214
503-234-2383 ext 118
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]