Trails Maintenance Technician (2 Positions)
- Project Sponsor: USDA Mt. Hood National Forest
NWSA Mission: This position is in partnership with the Northwest Service Academy (NWSA), an AmeriCorps program of ESD112. NWSA's mission is to preserve and restore the natural environment, and to develop community leaders through service and community partnerships. www.nwserviceacademy.org<http://www.nwserviceacademy.org/>
Project Location: Clackamas District of the Mt. Hood National Forest, Estacada, OR
Position Summary: The technicians will perform needed maintenance on district trails both in wilderness and non-wilderness areas. Maintenance work includes log out with cross-cut saw or chain saw, tread maintenance including drainage structures, slough, slide and berm removal, and brushing. Much of the required work has not been done in several years or has been accomplished by volunteers. More than 50% of the work needed is in newly designated wildernesses, so no mechanical tools are permitted to perform work.
General Responsibilities (to include, but not limited to):
1. Survey trails to ascertain maintenance needs.
2. Prioritize trail work to be done.
3. Assure all tools required to accomplish work are available and in good working condition.
4. Determine which projects require crews to complete work.
5. Instruct and work with available crews to complete work (includes YCC and AmeriCorps crews).
6. Attend and complete all NWSA/AmeriCorps training and service requirements including orientation in Trout Lake, WA from 6/14 to 6/16 (lodging provided for orientation)
7. Complete and submit all necessary NWSA/AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
8. Wear an NWSA uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events.
1. Must have a valid driver's license, clean driving record and ability to provide documentation.
2. Ability to hike with required tools for trail work.
3. Ability to operate and maintain chainsaw.
4. Self-motivated, experienced trail maintenance technician
5. Ability to use crosscut saws.
6. Ability to safely use loppers, pruners, and hand saws for required brushing.
7. Ability to use various hand tools to perform tread maintenance (McCloud, shovel, rock pick, rock rake, Rhinehart, Pulaski).
8. 21 years of age or older, at beginning of service term.
9. U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident.
10. Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent, or commit to earning one prior to receiving an education award.
11. Ability to commit to the full term of service for which they are applying.
12. Must successfully pass a fingerprint criminal history background check provided through NWSA and/or Project Sponsor Agency.
13. Regular and reliable attendance.
14. Have not previously served two terms in an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members may serve up to three terms in a National Service Program, but only two terms may be within an AmeriCorps*State or National program. Members are only eligible for an education award for their first two terms of service, regardless of the type of term (full or part-time) and regardless of the successful completion of that term.
1. Experienced in all aspects of trail maintenance
2. Able to instruct youth crews how to perform basic trail maintenance.
Member Benefits Include:
1. A total taxable living allowance of $6,035 ($1,005 per month beginning 7/15/10).
2. Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members/leaders receive an education award of $2,362.50. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans, for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade schools. The education award is taxed in the year that it is used.
3. Loan forbearance (after successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable).
4. Basic medical insurance (covers members only, not dependents; vision and dental not included).
5. Child care allowance for those who qualify.
6. Free housing is provided for this position.
1. Organizational vehicle is available for service activities.
2. Personal vehicle is recommended to get to service site.
3. Offers may be contingent on your driving record. Please obtain a copy of your driving record from your local DMV and email, fax, or mail to the NWSA Mt. Adams Center office with proof of automobile insurance.
Application Deadline: Will occur as qualified applications are received. NWSA Center: Mt. Adams Center
Interviews: On-going until filled. Type of position:
Service Dates: June 14, 2010 - November 19, 2010 Length of Term: 900 hours
How to apply:
Step 1 - Complete your application in one of the following two ways:
*PREFERRED* Online at the AmeriCorps website AmeriCorps Application www.americorps.gov/Default.asp<http://www.americorps.gov/Default.asp>
-If you do not already have a username and password, you must Create A Profile
-Once you have logged in, create an application by clicking "Applications" under the "My AmeriCorps" menu.
-To apply to this specific position, click "Search Listings" under the "My AmeriCorps" menu and search for program name Northwest Service Academy-MAC
-Select the position listing and click "Apply Now" at the bottom of the page.
-Visit http://nwserviceacademy.org/apply.cfm to print, sign and date the Certification Form. This document must be mailed to our office.
Download application materials from the How to Apply http://nwserviceacademy.org/apply.cfm page of our website and submit them to Amanda Green:
- Application - Complete the NWSA AmeriCorps Application and submit it via email (preferable), mail, or fax.
- Two Written References - Have your recommenders fill out the NWSA Reference Form and send it directly to NWSA. References may be submitted by email (preferable), mail, or fax.
- Certification Form - Print out, sign and date the Certification Form. This document must be mailed to our office.
Step 2 - Send resume and cover letter to Amanda Green at mac@...<mailto:mac@...>
Obtain a copy of your driving record from your local DMV and email, fax, or mail to Amanda Green.
Questions? Contact Amanda Green at mac@...<mailto:mac@...> or 509-395-3465.