Re: [EnviroJobs] Re: Interested: But what classes?

  • anthony belcher
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 17, 2004
      Melissa,
      If you live in NY State, Purchase College-SUNY
      has a good Env. Sci. prog.Look up their website on
      Google or your state of residence's State Univ. might
      have a good prog. and be a best buy.Good luck, Tony
      --- aggieford <aggieford@...> wrote:

      > Melissa,
      >
      > Let us knwo what area you are in, or what area you
      > would like to go
      > to school. I know of good programs in VA and TX.
      > Also what
      > environmental field do you find interesting? No
      > need to pick an
      > exact science now, but some sort of an idea would
      > help narrow down
      > choices.
      >

      > --- In EnviroJobs@yahoogroups.com, "crazy"
      > <crazywaterfilly@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I'm interested in the environment and would like
      > to make it a
      > > career. I've been looking at the different jobs
      > all over the
      > > internet, but have yet to really find a really
      > helpful sight. If
      > > anyone knows any sights that are of great helpl in
      > choosing
      > classes,
      > > colleges and careers concerning the environment,
      > please email the
      > > sight link to me at crazywaterfilly@y...
      > > Also, if anyone can give advice on the classes to
      > take or good
      > > colleges, that would be most welcome. I am only a
      > Junior in High
      > > School right now, but it seems as if i'm well
      > behind. I've taken
      > > science classes, and math classes, and electives
      > such as
      > > Environmental Science, but I would like a better
      > idea on what
      > classes
      > > to do next year or if there is a good CoOp I'd be
      > able to join.
      > Feel
      > > free to email me with any info you feel would be
      > of help to me.
      > > Thank you all that reply. :) ~Melissa

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • Margaret H bunbb
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 17, 2004
        Hi all,
        I am a foreigner who have an BS degree in
        environmental engineering from US Univ. and have been
        trying to get a job in the country for couple months
        but all the efforts had be turned down, partly due to
        the immigration status and maybe lack of working
        experience. I eagerly want to gain some experience
        here before I leave the country. I think maybe I can
        volunteer to some program that work for the
        environment. Is anyone out there can show me a way?
        I am interested in water resources. I have some
        experience on water/groundwater modeling/evaluation,
        water and wastewater treatment,
        collection/distribution system design, GIS, water
        quality monitoring/evaluation/modeling, some
        regulations knowledge in school.
        Welcome any suggestion too�. I am trying to figure
        what I can do to start an environmental career�
        Thanks so much....

        ~bun

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • _
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2004
          Hi. Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out soon. I'm in Wisconsin, and I'm not sure what that area is, but I'd like to stay relativly close. I've been looking at the different oppertunities and jobs out there, and there's just so many! I really don't know what I'll end up doing, but I'm keeping my options open. I've been told that geography classes are a good way to approach this field, what would you suggest? Anyway, thanks for your help!
          ~Melissa

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 19, 2004
            Melissa-
            hey, i'm in the midwest (minnesota, wisconsin, etc.) & was kind of in the
            same boat as you when i was in high school. i ended up turning toward the
            naturalist field, working at nature centers & leading day camps & public
            programs, otherwise i have also tried environmental engineering (dealing
            with asbestos & old petroleum cleanups) & natural resource management
            (getting rid of plants that aren't supposed to be around & keeping them in
            check etc.)... anyway, if you want a good environmental education site, SEEK
            is absolutely wonderful but focuses more on environmental education... if
            any jobs/volunteer positions look good, they usually list their
            requirements, which could help you decide some classes you should be taking
            if you're interested in that kind of job. & i believe all nature centers
            are always accepting volunteers, whether you're willing to go to minnesota
            or you find some in wisconsin. volunteering is always a great way to get
            your foot in the door no matter what classes you end up taking. plus it'll
            help you decide if that type of job is something you'd want to do. well,
            either way, good luck!
            -Leah
          • _
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 23, 2004
              Thanks for the email Leah, you've been very helpful
              I'd write more but i'm in a hurry, srry
              Thanks!
              ~Melissa

            • Duff
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                Lots of opportunities for Environmental study in Wisconsin. I
                should know, I'm about to graduate :)

                check out

                UWRF (my school) - http://www.uwrf.edu/pes/environ/welcome.html
                UWSP - http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/
                UWGB - http://www.uwgb.edu/nas/
                Northland College - http://www.northland.edu
                and even UW Platteville if you're an engineering nut
                http://www.uwplatt.edu (here look for 1)env. engineering and 2)
                reclamation)

                There is a bevvy of options available for you (jobs and schools) but
                don't let them overwhelm you. As far as jobs go, keep doing things
                you find interesting. Your options may be limited, but any
                experience is good experience. School wise, take the tough classes
                in high school. You'll be taking them again in college and they'll
                be easier having done it once.

                Hope this has been helpful.

                --- In EnviroJobs@yahoogroups.com, _ <crazywaterfilly@y...> wrote:
                > Hi. Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out soon.
                I'm in Wisconsin, and I'm not sure what that area is, but I'd like
                to stay relativly close. I've been looking at the different
                oppertunities and jobs out there, and there's just so many! I
                really don't know what I'll end up doing, but I'm keeping my options
                open. I've been told that geography classes are a good way to
                approach this field, what would you suggest? Anyway, thanks for
                your help!
                > ~Melissa

              • _
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Yes, it's been most helpful, thank you for the help. If you ever run across any more good links or have any tips for me at all, please feel free to let me know, i'll appreciate any help i can get!
                  thanks again!
                  ~Melissa