Re: [EnviroJobs] off-topic: looking for specific id books/field guides

  • keir morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      i saw a picture guide for spiders in a book store
      recently that looked pretty good. it might be too
      simple for you though. it's "Spiders of the North
      Woods" by Larry Weber.

      keir

      --- lbgodtla@... wrote:
      > hello, hope the new year treats you all well. i was
      > wondering if anyone has
      > any recommendations as to where to find some good
      > identification keys/field
      > guides/identification books on spiders or snails in
      > north america or the
      > midwestern united states. the "spiders & kin" and
      > "pond life" golden guides
      > are a little too simplified for what i'm looking
      > for, & any other spider
      > field guides i've found have also included insects &
      > have not been specific
      > enough. for the snail guide, i would prefer
      > something that helps key out
      > both terrestrial and aquatic snail shells (clams and
      > slugs would be okay
      > too, but snails are my top focus) without using
      > dissection. identification
      > is my primary goal, but i suppose any
      > non-species-specific snail books would
      > be good too. with both snails and spiders, i would
      > like the guide(s) also
      > to include a little natural history or some other
      > kind of life info about
      > each species or family. does anyone know of any
      > such books/guides? college
      > textbooks are also okay, as long as i can get access
      > to them. (used ones
      > are more than okay!) i've been an intern at
      > multiple nature centers within
      > the past two years and have noticed a lack of
      > knowledge about spiders and
      > snails, especially snail identification. i would
      > very much appreciate any
      > suggestions people might have. thanks! keep up the
      > great discussions and
      > naturalist-related job-postings!
      > -leah

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • keir morse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        here's a link to a recommended spider guide list that
        i just ran across.

        http://www.dmns.org/spiders/references.html#guides