RCS

  • John Greenland
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2012
      I have dealt with Garth for many years going back to my days at Ensoniq as a sound designer from the ESQ1 to the MR products.
      He's always been helpful and pretty much every response I've had from RC has been from him personally.
      There are many of us Ensoniq fans who would be hard pressed to find what we need without him and his company.  No one's perfect, I get that.
      I think a little faith in his honesty and his desire to rectify things that need it is in order.

      John Greenland

    • Dave Peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2012
        Hi John,

        Thanks for stating your experiences!

        I also want to chime in and state that I think Garth has shown AMAZING DEDICATION to the Ensoniq community over the years, including answering all kinds of questions on this list, and that deserves VERY positive recognition.

        But I'm curious, because your e-mail isn't explicit in mentioning RCS software at all, what your experiences have been with RCS software products over the years? I'm assuming you've used them? My only experiences have been to use (apparently) ancilliary functions in RCS software on (what I've been told are) non-standard patterns of sampler features (songs tracks, banks with files spanning multiple disks, occasionally relabeling disks, etc.) where I've experienced what I believe are very obvious problems that I wouldn't expect to find in paid for software.

        It will be great for myself (and probably others?) to better understand the whole picture by seeing other software users speak up and report their experiences, so I definitely encourage you to do that. As you've noted though, so far the majority of reports are that my experience isn't unique. On the one hand, it's good to hear I'm not the only one having this type of experience, but on the other, it's disappointing I couldn't find out this level of information before making my purchase decision. IMO, this community should be used to discuss just this type of thing.

        -- Dave

        On 2 May 2012, at 13:26, John Greenland wrote:

        > I have dealt with Garth for many years going back to my days at Ensoniq as a sound designer from the ESQ1 to the MR products.
        > He's always been helpful and pretty much every response I've had from RC has been from him personally.
        > There are many of us Ensoniq fans who would be hard pressed to find what we need without him and his company. No one's perfect, I get that.
        > I think a little faith in his honesty and his desire to rectify things that need it is in order.
        >
        > John Greenland

        > Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Greenland
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2012
          Dave,
          I have less experience with RC software than many, maybe because I had so much experience with Ensoniq products at the factory from development to production that I had less need?  I don't know.
          I have plans to more intentionally use Translator in the near future, and will report on my progress.
          My comments were really aimed at defending Garth's character - he has always shown himself to be responsive, honest and helpful in supplying and standing by the older peripherals needed to keep my ASR's alive - CDR equipment for sound storage and retrieval, advice, etc.  I have an Electronic Music studio where I work with ten workstations (using ASR's and TS-10's until 3 years ago), and Garth was quick and helpful with questions I had having to do with keeping them all in working order, creating ASR sound CD's etc and other stuff I had forgotten about.
          I'm not against criticism especially where it's warranted.  I may have some myself after using Translator more extensively.  It just got a little personal here and there and I think the tone was getting counter productive, and there's ALWAYS another side to things.  Maybe there are multiple problems with RC software-I don't know.  But I'll chime in for Garth when it looks like he's being attacked personally.  I'm impressed by the way he handled all the criticism - calmly and with intent to rectify things.  That usually reflects integrity.  At least it looked that way to me.

          John