EPS classic is getting hot and makes problems with copying wavesamples

  • tarkan.sahin78
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2012
      hello members,

      im new to this group and im happy to found a community, where i can get information about this old sampler. I have read some posts in the forum and here are really experts!

      I have a problem with my EPS. when i sample something and use the command, wave, copy, parameters only and set a keyrange. it works fine for sometime, but after a while it only plays the latest copied wavesample or none of my wavesamples.

      After testing, i registered that the heatsink is really hot, after powering the eps off and cooling it down. it works again. so i think it is a temperature problem. in an german forum and at gearslutz, the told me to change the voltage regulators. Is this the right way? Another person told me that it could be that the condensator is dry? What do you guys think?

      Is it a problem that i should handle, to prevent damage? Or is it ok, to make breaks after working on the eps to let it cooldown?

      Also im searching for the 4x Expander, if anyone is selling it please contact me.

      Thanks and regards Tarkan
    • sepowell@talk21.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012
        Hi Tarkan,

        I had the same problem 3 years ago. The voltage regulators appeared OK but I changed every single electrolytic capacitor in the power supply. That stopped the EPS from crashing. The basic problem is the power supply is woefully under engineered if you have memory expansion modules installed and it get's hot. This causes a variety of problems like voltages sagging, and in my case a frying sound on the audio outputs (superimposed over the sample sounds).  I cured the frying sound by installing 2 small fans next to the power supply which now extract the hot air through two 40mm holes I cut in the bottom of the case. It may not be perfect, but 3 years later, no further problems.

        I hope this helps               Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012
          Hello Steve,

          it was not easy to address the issue with my eps to the temperature, i
          couldn�t find any information in the internet that the eps has this
          problems. is it difficult and necessary to change the electrolytic
          capacitor? could this damage the eps? of should it be fine if i only
          install a heatsink and /or a fan? im a technican, i can repair notebooks
          and servers but i have no experience in doing electronic stuff....

          Maybe you know where i can get a 4x Expander for the Eps? The 2 shops i
          found are very expensive and the module would cost as same as my eps.

          thank you for your help

          Tarkan

        • sepowell@talk21.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2012
            Hello Tarkan,

            What you have is a piece of gear that is about 20 years old. In any equipment that contains electrolytic capacitors of that age you eventually get the problem of 'drying out'. They all used to contain a certain amount of fluid (and most electrolytics today probably still do). In any warm environment the electrolytics will dry out over a period of years and their capacitance will fall. In the EPS you have double trouble because not only is it old, but also gets hotter than it should. Installing heatsinks/fan will assist in cooling the unit but won't undo the damage that has already been caused. Go ahead and fit heatsinks and  a fan or 2, you may effect a cure. It that doesn't solve your sampling problem, then you are looking at changing the Power supply capacitors (and maybe capacitors on the other boards too). Only do this yourself if you have good soldering skills, and know which way round to install an electrolytic capacitor - they are polarised!
            Make sure you buy capacitors that are rated at 105 degrees C. Many are only guaranteed to 85 degrees.

            As for the expander, no one makes them anymore as far as I know. One came up on EBay 2 years ago and I bought it for about £70 pounds, so you do see old ones for sale sometimes, but not often.

            good luck                       Steve

            2012/3/6 <sepowell@...>

            > **
            >

            > Hi Tarkan,
            >
            > I had the same problem 3 years ago. The voltage regulators appeared OK but
            > I changed every single electrolytic capacitor in the power supply. That
            > stopped the EPS from crashing. The basic problem is the power supply is
            > woefully under engineered if you have memory expansion modules
            > installed and it get's hot. This causes a variety of problems like voltages
            > sagging, and in my case a frying sound on the audio outputs (superimposed
            > over the sample sounds).  I cured the frying sound by installing 2 small
            > fans next to the power supply which now extract the hot air through two
            > 40mm holes I cut in the bottom of the case. It may not be perfect, but 3
            > years later, no further problems.
            >
            > I hope this helps               Steve

            Subscribe:  Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Yahoo! Groups Links