EPSm??? OS9 fun.

  • joshua
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
      Anyone know how to get ahold of Terje (creator of EPSm) I had a registered copy on an old now-defunct SCSI drive and I'm reviving a powerbook g3 to backup and copy my EPS 16+ floppies... I found a copy of the software but can't get a hold of Teje to reg it...
    • Garth Hjelte
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
        At 03:38 PM 2/3/2012, you wrote:

        >Anyone know how to get ahold of Terje (creator of EPSm) I had a
        >registered copy on an old now-defunct SCSI drive and I'm reviving a
        >powerbook g3 to backup and copy my EPS 16+ floppies... I found a
        >copy of the software but can't get a hold of Teje to reg it...

        It's the same address AFAIK, but for your purposes EPSm isn't going
        to help you anyway. EPSm supports reading and writing only
        specially-formatted floppy disks (the so-called B10 and B20 floppy
        format), NOT the normal format. So just getting EPSm running won't
        read a normally formatted 16-Plus DS/DD floppy disk. What you have to do is:

        -Take the B10 floppy provided with EPSm (and EPSm can't even make
        one, although a ASR-10 can) and make duplicates
        -Load each floppies contents onto your 16-Plus and resave it to a B10
        floppy. Note this may be a hassle because a B10 floppy is smaller
        capacity to a regular floppy
        -Then you can "backup" your floppies into images on your G3

        Mac + Proprietary Floppies = More Hassle Than You Want To Put Up With

        Mac's just won't read a 10 sector format. They won't. (Thanks,
        Steve.) All EPSm does with the B10 format is mark every 10th sector
        as bad so the Ensoniq et. al won't write to it, thus preserving all
        the data. So when EPSm reads the format, and misses every 10th
        sector, it's not missing any data.

        Also, the reason the B10 is smaller in capacity is not only because
        it's 9/10th smaller, there's also a missing FAT block (the 10th
        sector), so you miss out on ~153 additional inaccessible blocks.

        EPSm was great when Mac's always had floppies, when floppies were OK,
        and the 16-Plus was current and things were more being worked on and
        in flux. People could convert all their stuff to the B10 format and
        have a seamless working setup. But that's all in the past. If you
        want to simply backup your normal non-B10 floppies, better to find a
        free old PC - and it can be EXTREMELY old, I use a 386 I got in 1987,
        24 years ago - use the free EPSDisk program, and not deal with all the hassle.

        (Or simply write your info to a SCSI Drive, then make an image of that.)

        Cheez, next thing you know there's be a iPhone app that reads Ensoniq
        floppies... =)

        Garth Hjelte
        Sampler User
      • mmysterio