EPS/ASR Manual Re-write

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
      Greetings All,

      After reading some of the old posts on copyright issues, the availability of manuals, information, and support of the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR-10/ASR-88 series samplers, I thought it would be nice if we all came together and re-wrote a manual that would be compatible with all models and contain information specific to each module. I believe that doing this has many advantages as opposed to using the provided ASR-10 manual that Creative has made available.

      - Everyone in the group has the ability to contribute and share their individual points in the manual for example, if someone in the group is particularly insightful on sampling techniques, he could write about the specs and particulars in each area. Let's face it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we have to work with them. The group contains a diverse group of people everyone from musicians to engineers and new-comers to old-timers and enthusiast to newbies.
      - New and updated information could be provided in the manual such as part replacements, helpful links, software resources, and new ideas.
      - Manual would be GNU and GPL and would be free to distribute on a not for profit basis.
      - Having the manual online would enable it to be translated in multiple languages, easily accessed, changed, and even printed.

      These are just some points I thought of. I'm just curious on how many people are on board for doing something like this. They already did this with the SP1200 and it was huge success. This is not an attempt to make the downfall of Ensoniq/Creative or whatever some may call it. This is not a profit attempt. I'm doing this out of the love of my EPS and 16+ and Ensoniq and wish others to have the same joy I have had with them without the stress of finding all the information i had to in order to effectively use my equipment. I will always encourage someone to buy the original manual as Ensoniq had great manuals. But I feel that if we all work together we can create something really good.
    • Farrell J. McGovern
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
        On 12/03/2011 10:04 PM, Chris wrote:
        > [great idea about a crowdsourced manual for our favourite samplers]
        > - Everyone in the group has the ability to contribute and share their individual points in the manual for example, if someone in the group is particularly insightful on sampling techniques, he could write about the specs and particulars in each area. Let's face it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we have to work with them. The group contains a diverse group of people everyone from musicians to engineers and new-comers to old-timers and enthusiast to newbies.
        > - New and updated information could be provided in the manual such as part replacements, helpful links, software resources, and new ideas.
        > - Manual would be GNU and GPL and would be free to distribute on a not for profit basis.
        > - Having the manual online would enable it to be translated in multiple languages, easily accessed, changed, and even printed.

        All good ideas, but although I have a great deal of respect for
        RMS, his GNU license is aimed at code, not documentation. A better
        license for the written word is the Creative Commons (CC) license. The
        CC license is aimed at making sure that documents are in the public
        domain, and that they *stay* in the public domain, and that it can be
        modified and or reused, but only within certain parameters, which are
        optional.

        See http://creativecommons.org for more information...

        ttyl
        Farrell
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
          Farrell,

          Thanks yes I'm more familiar with GNU than CC but I'm glad I have at least someones support. I will look into the CC license. AFAIK re-writing a manual is certainly legal.