EPS in "diagnostic mode" solved.

  • the_wizard_o_cheese
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2011
      I've posted before about a non booting EPS. There was some speculation
      about some sort of diagnostic mode, but I think I figured it out by
      trial and error working between 3 EPS keyboards at the same time.

      If the keyboard assembly is not hooked up, the machine will not say
      anything on the display/boot, but will display single characters when
      you press each button. If this still happens after you plug the keyboard
      assembly in, then the wire is bad/fatigued.

      I tracked the problem down to the ribbon cable going from the keyboard
      to the main board by using different ribbon cables. (I had 2 bad ones).

      I was able to make all 3 boot and display. I reversed the ribbon cables
      on both connections, and the difference was enough to make them connect
      properly.

      Thought this might help anyone having this problem.

      (Forum member Jammie did not fix one of the EPS main boards that I sent
      him for repair. It took forever, and the main board has the same
      problems that I originally reported to him. The guy charged a lot of
      money, and when I complained about it, he ignored me. Just a heads up,
      beware.) Still has noise mixed in with audio, and volume control still
      does not work.