Re: [Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16] New EPS owner + possible fault question

  • Daniel Baum
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
      Hi all,

      Is this list active?

      Anyway, I SEEM to have fixed the problem with my EPS by reseating some connectors from the power supply. We'll have to see how it goes.

      Here are some pics of the insides of my EPS:

      http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20equipment/eps_inside2.jpg

      http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20equipment/eps_inside1.jpg

      http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20equipment/eps_inside1.jpg

      And the outside:

      http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20equipment/eps1.jpg

      http://www.type34.info/temp/My%20equipment/eps2.jpg

      D.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
      • Gordon JC Pearce
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2011
          On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 08:50 +0300, Daniel Baum wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Is this list active?

          The list is *normally* pretty active. Sometimes it's quiet for weeks at
          a time. I normally try and suggest a few things to check with faults
          like that, but I've been really busy over the past couple of weeks ;-)

          > Anyway, I SEEM to have fixed the problem with my EPS by reseating some
          > connectors from the power supply. We'll have to see how it goes.

          That would have been my first suggestion ;-)

          If that doesn't cure it, take the PSU out and clean up and resolder all
          the pins of the voltage regulators. These get really hot, and heat +
          vibration causes dry joints and all sorts of weird intermittent
          behaviour.

          You think it's bad with old gear? Wait until all the equipment built
          with lead-free solder gets to about five years old. The landfills will
          be full of newish TVs, DVDs, computers and all sorts of ruined
          electronic junk. Great for those in the electronics business, and
          obviously much better for the environment than equipment built with
          horrible old lead-based solder that lasts for decades.

          > Here are some pics of the insides of my EPS:

          I can't tell if you've got a memory expander or not. You want one, and
          a SCSI board ;-)

          > And the outside:

          Looks to be in extremely good nick. I must get mine out and finish
          fitting the internal SCSI drive (SCSI->IDE bridge, 2GB IDE flash drive).
          There's something really *satisfying* about these clunky old monsters...

          Gordon MM0YEQ
        • Daniel Baum
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2011
            Thanks for answering :)

            My EPS appears to have been very lightly used since new. It seems I have finally stumbled upon a vintage instrument in mint condition. The only exception is that some of the labels along the rear edge have been rubbed off.

            This light use also means that it is completely unexpanded. I'd be happy to expand the memory and add SCSI, but I'm guessing that this would cost more than I paid for the EPS. Would it work with a SCSI zip drive, or would I have to start faffing about with external 10MB hard disks or whatever? Where can you get the expansions?

            This is my second "dinosaur sampler" keyboard. The other being an Emax II. While the Emax is technically superior in most regards, the EPS certainly beats the Emax for the fun factor. I've always found the Emax to be a bit intimidating, frankly, with its tiny screen. The EPS just encourages you to use every feature that it has, and is terrific for layering and modulation. The sequencer is fun too.

            I also love its sound. You just can't emulate the "old sampler" sound using modern equipment.

            Daniel

            On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 08:50 +0300, Daniel Baum wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Is this list active?

            The list is *normally* pretty active. Sometimes it's quiet for weeks at
            a time. I normally try and suggest a few things to check with faults
            like that, but I've been really busy over the past couple of weeks ;-)

            > Anyway, I SEEM to have fixed the problem with my EPS by reseating some
            > connectors from the power supply. We'll have to see how it goes.

            That would have been my first suggestion ;-)

            If that doesn't cure it, take the PSU out and clean up and resolder all
            the pins of the voltage regulators. These get really hot, and heat +
            vibration causes dry joints and all sorts of weird intermittent
            behaviour.

            You think it's bad with old gear? Wait until all the equipment built
            with lead-free solder gets to about five years old. The landfills will
            be full of newish TVs, DVDs, computers and all sorts of ruined
            electronic junk. Great for those in the electronics business, and
            obviously much better for the environment than equipment built with
            horrible old lead-based solder that lasts for decades.

            > Here are some pics of the insides of my EPS:

            I can't tell if you've got a memory expander or not. You want one, and
            a SCSI board ;-)

            > And the outside:

            Looks to be in extremely good nick. I must get mine out and finish
            fitting the internal SCSI drive (SCSI->IDE bridge, 2GB IDE flash drive).
            There's something really *satisfying* about these clunky old monsters...

            Gordon MM0YEQ

          • Johan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2011
              This sounds like a question I'd like to ask, too: Is there anywhere where it is possible o get hold of a SCSI board these days? I have a EPS-16+, so it is another board, but still...It seems that the only place that had them (rubber chicken) are out, and all sorts of googling only gets me advice along the lines of "Try Ebay, and be prepared to pay through your nose".

              Lately, the HxC floppy emulator has appeared, which means one could reasonably fit a load of floppy images on a SD card and just go with that, but that would still mean one would have to "insert" and "swap" floppies, only virtually...Anybody reverse-engineered the SCSI board? :-)

              --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Baum" <daniel@...> wrote:

              > This light use also means that it is completely unexpanded. I'd be happy to expand the memory and add SCSI, but I'm guessing that this would cost more than I paid for the EPS.

              > I can't tell if you've got a memory expander or not. You want one, and
              > a SCSI board ;-)
            • Garth Hjelte
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2011
                At 03:36 PM 6/4/2011, you wrote:

                >This sounds like a question I'd like to ask, too: Is there anywhere
                >where it is possible o get hold of a SCSI board these days? I have a
                >EPS-16+, so it is another board, but still...It seems that the only
                >place that had them (rubber chicken) are out, and all sorts of
                >googling only gets me advice along the lines of "Try Ebay, and be
                >prepared to pay through your nose".
                >
                >Lately, the HxC floppy emulator has appeared, which means one could
                >reasonably fit a load of floppy images on a SD card and just go with
                >that, but that would still mean one would have to "insert" and
                >"swap" floppies, only virtually...Anybody reverse-engineered the
                >SCSI board? :-)

                Give the ASR SCSI maker guy a shout. He knows how many people want
                this (a lot).

                Garth Hjelte
                Sampler User