Re: [Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16] Re: EXTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE?

  • Garth Hjelte
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
      At 01:35 AM 4/1/2011, you wrote:

      >Does anyone know if a PCMCIA card external floppy drive would work,
      >or does this suffer from the same issues as the USB floppy?

      Almost certainly. It's like this: say you got all these favors from a
      large corporation (free football tickets, country club passes)
      because you knew the secretary to the CEO and she loved cookies and
      you brought them by whenever you wanted something. Then, the
      organization restructured and the secretary moved 2000 miles away to
      another country where the corporations head office relocated. No more
      football tickets.

      A USB floppy or CF card communication means the controller has moved
      off the premises and you have to communicate via USB or the PCMIA
      standard to get at the controller; you'd have to call the secretary
      over the phone now. But, you can't send cookies over the phone, and
      so you can't have low-level interrupt access to the controller over
      these communication protocols.

      Now, it's always possible, but you'd have to find a willing firmware
      manufacturer (i.e. speak Chinese) who would open up the access to the
      onboard controller and allow an API to make the changes you want.
      Just like possible solution to your problem is to 1) find a place in
      the new country that makes the cookies, and 2) find someone who would
      buy them for you and give them to the secretary under your name.

      >Also, along the same lines...
      >
      >If using a SCSI hard drive with the EPS, is it possible to connect
      >the drive to a PC with a SCSI-to-USB adapter to transfer
      >Ensoniq-formatted files to and from the PC, or would this also
      >suffer from the same controller issues that Garth mentions with the
      >USB floppy drives?

      No, this would be completely different, and people already do this. A
      SCSI-USB adapter performs the same function as a SCSI card interface.
      The difference in the situations is that the controller is NEVER on a
      hard drive, plus there is no geometric difference between a normal
      PC-formatted hard drive and a Ensoniq-formatted hard drive. It's just
      different information placed on the same grid. But with floppies, the
      grid is different (Ensoniq is 10 sectors per cylinder instead of 9),
      so you have to convince the drive head to mechanically read the
      floppy disk differently. Which is why you need low-level access to
      the controller. It wants cookies.

      Garth Hjelte
      Sampler User
    • Gordon JC Pearce
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 09:05 -0500, Garth Hjelte wrote:

        > A USB floppy or CF card communication means the controller has moved
        > off the premises and you have to communicate via USB or the PCMIA
        > standard to get at the controller; you'd have to call the secretary
        > over the phone now. But, you can't send cookies over the phone, and
        > so you can't have low-level interrupt access to the controller over
        > these communication protocols.

        Depends on the PCMCIA card, though. Since it's basically just a PCI
        bus, most PCMCIA floppy drives are just a PCI floppy controller with the
        floppy on a short cable. This doesn't mean, however, that they will
        work - Toshiba ones have some mad-ass interface that is just
        incompatible enough...

        > Now, it's always possible, but you'd have to find a willing firmware
        > manufacturer (i.e. speak Chinese) who would open up the access to the
        > onboard controller and allow an API to make the changes you want.
        > Just like possible solution to your problem is to 1) find a place in
        > the new country that makes the cookies, and 2) find someone who would
        > buy them for you and give them to the secretary under your name.

        Floppies are slow, modern microcontrollers are fast and FDC chips are
        easy to talk to. How hard can it be?

        > >Also, along the same lines...
        > >
        > >If using a SCSI hard drive with the EPS, is it possible to connect
        > >the drive to a PC with a SCSI-to-USB adapter to transfer
        > >Ensoniq-formatted files to and from the PC, or would this also
        > >suffer from the same controller issues that Garth mentions with the
        > >USB floppy drives?
        >
        > No, this would be completely different, and people already do this. A
        > SCSI-USB adapter performs the same function as a SCSI card interface.

        Any recommendations on USB-SCSI adaptors that work particularly well
        with the EPS?

        Gordon MM0YEQ
      • Garth Hjelte
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
          Forgive the plug:

          SamplerZone (a retailer of Chicken System
          products, part of the company I work for) has put
          together a Translator Ensoniq Edition ZipPak.
          This is a bundle that puts together:

          -Translator Ensoniq Edition (or Translator Pro,
          if you want to convert to other formats besides Ensoniq)
          -SCSI ZipDrive 100
          -USB ZipDrive

          This is all you need (except for your computer
          and SCSI-outfitted Ensoniq) to transfer sounds of
          ANY format to your Ensoniq ASR-10/88 or Ensoniq
          TS-10/12. (It will work on the Ensoniq EPS
          16-Plus if you have the right SCSI Interface on
          your 16-Plus or have a SCSI CD-ROM Drive on it.)

          It combines the Translator Ensoniq Edition with
          TWO ZipDrives: a SCSI Zip100 for your ASR-10/88
          or TS-10/12, and a USB ZipDrive for your
          computer. Comes with all the cables and one
          complimentary ZipDisk formatted for your Ensoniq
          WITH the operating system on it.

          Translator™ is the only application around on Mac
          and Windows that can read and write the unique
          and special Ensoniq format on hard drives,
          removable drives, and CD's (and floppies on
          Windows). Simply take any sound on your computer,
          and Translator can write it directly to a
          Ensoniq-formatted drive, so you can play it on
          your Ensoniq. This is a great way to expand your sound library.

          Another great application is to make compilation
          CD's or Zip's of your favorite sounds from your
          CD's. Translator can make "Virtual Drives"
          (basically raw data images) and formats them to
          Ensoniq format. Simply write to them directly
          from your CD's and make your own CD's.

          Available on SamplerZone now.

          Translator Ensoniq Edition ZipPak - $129.95
          www.samplerzone.com/catalog/acherylmanage/categories.php?cPath=30&pID=142
          Translator Pro ZipPak - $199.95
          www.samplerzone.com/catalog/acherylmanage/categories.php?cPath=30&pID=144

          Any questions, post here, or let us know. For
          technical questions email Chicken Systems at
          support@...; for questions concerning
          the bundle and what it comes with, ask Cheryl Ann
          at SamplerZone cheryl@....

          Garth Hjelte
          Sampler User
        • Gordon JC Pearce
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2011
            On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 21:54 -0500, Garth Hjelte wrote:
            > Forgive the plug:

            zomg spammer!

            > Available on SamplerZone now.
            >
            > Translator Ensoniq Edition ZipPak - $129.95
            > www.samplerzone.com/catalog/acherylmanage/categories.php?cPath=30&pID=142
            > Translator Pro ZipPak - $199.95
            > www.samplerzone.com/catalog/acherylmanage/categories.php?cPath=30&pID=144

            Those links want a password, but if you go in from the front page you
            can make your way to:

            http://www.samplerzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=142
            http://www.samplerzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=144

            That's an excellent deal, folks. If you downloaded it illegally you'd
            still have to pay nearly as much for the two disk drives, *and* live
            with your conscience. Go and give some money to one of the last
            companies supporting your sampler ;-)

            Gordon MM0YEQ
          • Garth Hjelte
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2011
              At 01:50 AM 4/5/2011, you wrote:

              > > Available on SamplerZone now.
              > >
              > > Translator Ensoniq Edition ZipPak - $129.95
              > > Translator Pro ZipPak - $199.95
              >
              >Those links want a password, but if you go in from the front page you
              >can make your way to:
              >
              >www.samplerzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=142
              >www.samplerzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=144

              Thanks Gordon, definitely the wrong links!

              Garth Hjelte
              Sampler User
            • ritzyritzyritz
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2011
                Thanks for the replies guys.

                I might just try to get my hands on a CardBus/PCMCIA floppy drive to see if I can get that to work. I'd like to avoid having to get a whole legacy computer system just for the internal floppy drive if at all possible (I currenly use only a laptop so no onboard floppy). I'm currently in the process of putting together a SCSI hard drive setup for my EPS and would like to get away from using floppies altogether.

                > Any recommendations on USB-SCSI adaptors that work particularly well
                > with the EPS?
                >
                > Gordon MM0YEQ

                Gordon,
                I haven't tried any USB-SCSI adaptors so can't speak from experience, but from what I can tell, Adaptec seem to be right up there when it comes to producing SCSI adaptor/interfacing devices.

                Actually, I find USB-SCSI adaptors somewhat hard to come across. There just don't seem to really be that many available, and when you do come across one, they're usually really expensive (for what they are). CardBus/PCMCIA-to-SCSI adaptors, however, seem to be more abundant and competitively priced, so if you're laptop-based then that might be a better option (this is the path I'm going to go down). If you use a desktop PC then a SCSI PCI card is probably the best bet as they're generally cheap and plentiful.