dead eps?

  • nobody cares
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      so i recently picked up an eps with an issue. at first i thought it might be the disk drive, but now im wondering if it is a power supply issue.  someone else described similar symptoms, but the suggestions i found have failed so far. hoping to try again.

      symptoms: turn on: 4 of the lcds turn on under display, then all turn on.  disk drive briefly turns on than stops as if there is a loss of power? (purely speculation on my part). then if you push any buttons, the display gets 888888s and other things.

      ive been wanting an eps for awhile and this one had the 4x memory expander so i took a chance.  any help appreciated.

      thanks!

    • Frank M.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        Sounds like Jammie "fixed" your main board. (that was a joke) (well kind of....mo$tly on me).
        I have two main boards with the same problem and cannot find a solution.
        Appears to be a bad main board as far as I can tell, but I'm not entirely sure, and no one here seems to know.

      • nobody cares
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
          I guess my main question at this point for those with the knowledge/experience would be to see if its worth it to take it in to a shop for repair? is this an issue that is repairable by a knowledgeable tech?  just took my pro-one in so kinda dont want to spend more money to find out its dead.....

          thanks.

          Sounds like Jammie "fixed" your main board. (that was a joke) (well kind of....mo$tly on me).

          I have two main boards with the same problem and cannot find a solution.

          Appears to be a bad main board as far as I can tell, but I'm not entirely sure, and no one here seems to know.

        • vfxuser
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2011
            Not a pro in the subject but there is some trick to find out What or Which in this case.
            8 out of 10 old EPS (or any Ensoniqs or older synt's of that era for that matter) suffers from dried capacitors in the PSU.
            Tried to change those?
            (My old EPS 16+ has similar issues but it has more of an soldering problem somewhere since it goes waco when it gets warm. Bending the whole keyboard makes it work again! :-s )

            The easiest way of fault finding is to borrow someone else's EPS (working) and then have some trial and error test with all modules by replacing them one by one. Make sure to mark your's!
            But there is probably few EPS owners that would allow their precious EPS to be temporarily slaughtered for such a quest.

            Wonderful machine to be rescued though! :)

            Keep it up!

            Cheers, B.

            --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, nobody cares <n_c630@...> wrote:

            > I guess my main question at this point for those with the knowledge/experience would be to see if its worth it to take it in to a shop for repair? is this an issue that is repairable by a knowledgeable tech?  just took my pro-one in so kinda dont want to spend more money to find out its dead.....
            >
            > thanks.

          • bass_krazy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
              --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "vfxuser" <vfxuser@...> wrote:
              )

              > The easiest way of fault finding is to borrow someone else's EPS (working) and then have some trial and error test with all modules by replacing them one by one. Make sure to mark your's!
              > But there is probably few EPS owners that would allow their precious EPS to be temporarily slaughtered for such a quest.
              >
              > Wonderful machine to be rescued though! :)
              >
              > Keep it up!
              >
              > Cheers, B.

              Whatever you do don't swap modules you will most likely end up with 2 dead units in the end based on how Ensoniq powers it's boards.
              The first thing to do would be to get a service manual and verify the power signals to the various boards and components, if they checkout then you can decide if you would want to try swapping boards.
              Another thing to consider is that the cost of repair will probably be close to the cost of picking up another EPS.