Startup Problem for the Classic EPS

  • larrybud2004
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hey all, got the EPS out of mothballs... been sitting in its hardcase for about 8 years since I moved into my house.

      Plugged it in, and it won't boot up. Doesn't try to access the floppy at all. All the lights (red/yellow) under the display come on, and if you press on them, random characters appear on the screen.

      I opened it up, reseated the proms and all the other ICs which were socketed, but still no go. I also reseated the 2x memory expander.

      Anything else to look at? I couldn't find any schematics or troubleshooting guides anywhere for this.

      It will also be a miracle if my floppies still work!!
    • dukesjourney
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
        I just had the same problem with my EPS. Someone recommended using canned air to blow out the floppy drive(I think jammie). I didn't have any so I lifted the door and gently blew into the slot several times. Inserted the OS disk and it booted up again. You might want to use some Floppy Disk head cleaner since it has been sitting for so long. I just received mine in the mail today and will do a thorough cleaning.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
          You had the same problem of it not even attempting to read the floppy, with random characters on the display?

          I don't think the prom is even getting to the point of reading the disk. It's in a startup procedure.
        • Gordon JC Pearce
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
            On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 20:25 +0000, larrybud2004 wrote:
            > You had the same problem of it not even attempting to read the floppy, with random characters on the display?
            >
            > I don't think the prom is even getting to the point of reading the disk. It's in a startup procedure.

            This seems vaguely familiar. On an ESQ-1 if you get that (pressing keys
            just displays characters) then it's because the display board isn't
            talking to the main board. Check the connections between the display
            and the main board, check that the ROMs are seated correctly, remove any
            memory or SCSI expander that may be fitted and check the power supply
            outputs are correct.

            Gordon MM0YEQ
          • larrybud2004
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
              Also note, this thing doesn't have a speck of dust on it, as it sat in a case for 8 years.
            • larrybud2004
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2010
                --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce <gordon@...> wrote:

                > On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 20:25 +0000, larrybud2004 wrote:
                > > You had the same problem of it not even attempting to read the floppy, with random characters on the display?
                > >
                > > I don't think the prom is even getting to the point of reading the disk. It's in a startup procedure.
                >
                > This seems vaguely familiar. On an ESQ-1 if you get that (pressing keys
                > just displays characters) then it's because the display board isn't
                > talking to the main board. Check the connections between the display
                > and the main board, check that the ROMs are seated correctly, remove any
                > memory or SCSI expander that may be fitted and check the power supply
                > outputs are correct.
                >
                > Gordon MM0YEQ

                Thanks. I've removed every board, reseated every chip, and reseated every removable cable to no avail. I'm thinking this is DOA.

                I even pulled out the main board and checked for cold solder connections. No dice.

                Anybody have any schematics? I'm electronic savvy, but it's almost impossible without schematics.