Re: Creating Floppy Disk Images

  • skid00_23
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2010
      Hi Garth, has there been any resolution or development in these two areas? Particularly with writing the Disk Label when saving a floppy disk image; but also the issue of authorisation without internet access? Thanks.

      --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "skid00_23" <efunc@...> wrote:

      > --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "skid00_23" <efunc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > No, it was fixed long ago, the problem was being away from the
      > > > computer I compile Translator Free on. It was fixed when you
      > > > mentioned it on the forums, but we fixed it for the Pro version. By
      > > > the time we understood you needed Free, I was away.
      > > >
      > > > It's up now, just re-apply for Translator Free Windows, and download it again.
      > > >
      > > > Please let me know how it works for you, and if you need anything
      > > > that would make it easier or add to the functionality.
      > > >
      > > > Garth Hjelte
      > > > Sampler User
      > > >
      > > awesome news! i'll give it a whirl and report back :)
      > >
      > So I downloaded Translator Free for Windows tonight and here are a couple of quick observations. It looks like that Error #9 thing is history - great news! I happily ran the Bulk Floppy routine and saved 3 disks without a problem. It was a just a brief test, but very promising so far :)
      >
      > A couple of things are gonna slow me right down though. Crucial to the way we Ensoniq users organise our libraries is the DISK LABEL attached to each floppy. Without these there's no way to find your way around a big library since each project will revolve around a set of unique Disk labels and the Banks all point to the Labels. Currently the disk images in Translator are saved using an unrelated naming system. Is it possible to at least see what the Disk Label of a floppy is while it's being scanned by the PC and have it show up in Translator so that I can copy the name and paste it as the file name of the floppy image on the hard drive? It will be a bit long winded, but in the absence of an automated way of doing it the best compromise.
      >
      > Finally, I just bought an old Compaq laptop to do this all on over a couple of weeks while I'll be away. I intend to take about 300 floppies and the laptop and have the process ticking over in the back ground while I monitor things. The problem is the laptop doesn't have internet and there will be no internet access where I'll be anyway. How do I use the software?? I just tried now and it won't authorise without internet access.

    • Garth Hjelte
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
        At 06:32 PM 10/2/2010, you wrote:

        >Hi Garth, has there been any resolution or development in these two
        >areas? Particularly with writing the Disk Label when saving a floppy
        >disk image; but also the issue of authorisation without internet
        >access? Thanks.

        Translator Free is not available on computers without Internet
        access, and it probably won't be in the future. The only possibility
        could be purchasing a "demo package" where all our demo programs come
        on a CD/DVD and you pay a nominal price for it. We are looking into
        this as soon as the bulk of demos are ready for all our products.
        It's low priority though.

        We had to get some stuff done in September, we are turning our
        attention to the whole Ensoniq Bank-transferring deals shortly.

        Garth Hjelte
        Sampler User
      • skid00_23
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2010
          Cool, thanks for that. I would be interested in that demo package, however I may just purchase the full version of translator soon anyway. I guess it depends on the inclusion of that 'disk label' feature which is pretty much indispensable.