Online Ensoniq EPS Manuals

  • fm
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2009
      Thanks, nicely done.

    • Garth Hjelte
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2009
        At 07:34 PM 12/31/2009, you wrote:

        >Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced
        >Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and
        >Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much
        >thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related
        >information should be posted up on this site as time permits. If you
        >would like to post something, ask me question, or anything else;
        >Email me at christopher@.... If you post something, it will
        >be fully accredited for an no commercial gain will be made off it.
        >Lets keep the modifications and support for these machines going!
        >Note: This information is not just for the EPS. It can be applied to
        >the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR series samplers. (With the exception of the Service Manual)

        Please take them down; you don't own the copyright and cannot publish
        them. I know your intent is to be helpful, but just like you can't
        PDF someone elses book online, you can't do the same for a manual.
        I'm not Emu; but it's still some of my concern - if someone published
        my copyrighted material I'd want someone to stick up for me. The
        Internet can only be self-policed.

        Emu does publish the ASR-10 manual on their website, and almost all
        of it applies to the EPS samplers.

        Again, we all want to be helpful, but copyrights have meaning. Public
        distribution is prohibited unless you hold the copyright.

        Garth Hjelte
        Sampler User
      • John Karns
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
          On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Chris <christopher@...> wrote:

          > Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related information should be posted up on this

          Great job. Looks appreciably different from the standard edition of
          the original printed copy of the Musician's Manual that I have, and
          have seen available for downloading. Note: There is a copy available
          online that has OCR in the name which much better (for searching for
          text) than the image scanned version which seems to be the more easily
          found on the 'net.

          I seem to have lost my copy of the SCSI manual that came with the
          factory installed SCSI option, and have been unable to locate it
          online. All I could find was the part of it which explained how to
          create macros. Anybody here have a link for where it can be found?

          --
          John Karns
        • Rick Massey
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
            I'll say this first and foremost -- I'm not an IP lawyer, so take what I'm
            about to say with a large amount of sodium chloride.

            That said, there is some uncertainty as to whether you can actually
            copyright a manual. Since it is procedural instructions to operate a device,
            it has been deemed by some district courts as not a copyrightable work.

            Of course you can copyright computer code and software, but the area of
            manuals is a much less certain area. And to date SCOTUS hasn't taken up this
            subject for a definitive decision.

            And while we're at it, though it's great that the ASR manual is available
            through E-Mu, almost doesn't cut it. Any area where the earlier instruments
            differ from the ASR is a potential place for confusion, and since there is
            no technical support for these instruments one would think that the
            miniscule space the other manuals would take up on their web space would be
            simple enough a crumb to throw those of us they orphaned.

            Of course, if we could get them to put up all the manuals then that would
            solve the issue, wouldn't it? Anyone know anyone to contact at E-Mu about
            this?

          • Emailit2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 1, 2010
              What about all the stuff Chickensys is selling..?

              >Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced
              >Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and
              >Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much
              >thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related
              >information should be posted up on this site as time permits. If you
              >would like to post something, ask me question, or anything else;
              >Email me at christopher@.... If you post something, it will
              >be fully accredited for an no commercial gain will be made off it.
              >Lets keep the modifications and support for these machines going!
              >Note: This information is not just for the EPS. It can be applied to
              >the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR series samplers. (With the exception of the Service Manual)

              Please take them down; you don't own the copyright and cannot publish
              them. I know your intent is to be helpful, but just like you can't
              PDF someone elses book online, you can't do the same for a manual.
              I'm not Emu; but it's still some of my concern - if someone published
              my copyrighted material I'd want someone to stick up for me. The
              Internet can only be self-policed.

              Emu does publish the ASR-10 manual on their website, and almost all
              of it applies to the EPS samplers.

              Again, we all want to be helpful, but copyrights have meaning. Public
              distribution is prohibited unless you hold the copyright.

              Garth Hjelte
              Sampler User

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2010
                This copyright issue is being solved with Emu support as we speak. I've sent an inquiry in and are awaiting a response.

                Chris

                --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Massey" <seafox@...> wrote:

                > I'll say this first and foremost -- I'm not an IP lawyer, so take what I'm
                > about to say with a large amount of sodium chloride.
                >
                > That said, there is some uncertainty as to whether you can actually
                > copyright a manual. Since it is procedural instructions to operate a device,
                > it has been deemed by some district courts as not a copyrightable work.
                >
                > Of course you can copyright computer code and software, but the area of
                > manuals is a much less certain area. And to date SCOTUS hasn't taken up this
                > subject for a definitive decision.
                >
                > And while we're at it, though it's great that the ASR manual is available
                > through E-Mu, almost doesn't cut it. Any area where the earlier instruments
                > differ from the ASR is a potential place for confusion, and since there is
                > no technical support for these instruments one would think that the
                > miniscule space the other manuals would take up on their web space would be
                > simple enough a crumb to throw those of us they orphaned.
                >
                > Of course, if we could get them to put up all the manuals then that would
                > solve the issue, wouldn't it? Anyone know anyone to contact at E-Mu about
                > this?

              • Garth Hjelte
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2010
                  At 01:25 AM 1/2/2010, you wrote:

                  >What about all the stuff Chickensys is selling..?

                  It's our stuff. We have never sold any Ensoniq-made products.

                  Garth Hjelte
                  Sampler User
                • Emailit2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 6, 2010
                    What about the products your company at chickensys dot com sells... Do you now own the products, or do you have special permission to sell them?

                    Just curious..

                    Thanks in advance..
                    Magnum P.I.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Why block my emails from the list?

                      >Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced
                      >Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and
                      >Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much
                      >thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related
                      >information should be posted up on this site as time permits. If you
                      >would like to post something, ask me question, or anything else;
                      >Email me at christopher@.... If you post something, it will
                      >be fully accredited for an no commercial gain will be made off it.
                      >Lets keep the modifications and support for these machines going!
                      >Note: This information is not just for the EPS. It can be applied to
                      >the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR series samplers. (With the exception of the Service Manual)

                      Please take them down; you don't own the copyright and cannot publish
                      them. I know your intent is to be helpful, but just like you can't
                      PDF someone elses book online, you can't do the same for a manual.
                      I'm not Emu; but it's still some of my concern - if someone published
                      my copyrighted material I'd want someone to stick up for me. The
                      Internet can only be self-policed.

                      Emu does publish the ASR-10 manual on their website, and almost all
                      of it applies to the EPS samplers.

                      Again, we all want to be helpful, but copyrights have meaning. Public
                      distribution is prohibited unless you hold the copyright.

                      Garth Hjelte
                      Sampler User

                    • Rish
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Ya...as soon as the manuals were posted I was blocked as well.

                        Moderator have you read the description you created for this group?

                        [[[[[[[[[[ IMPORTANT NOTE ]]]]]]]]]]
                        This community respects the rights of copyright owners and thus does not advocate piracy.
                        ANY discussion relating to trading copyrighted materials (e.g. 3rd party commercial software tools and sound libraries) will not be tolerated. By subscribing to this group you agree to comply with this request. Members not observing this request will be banned.

                        Moderator get off your ass do your job and remove the manuals from this list. I might remind you that this group has members that own Syntuar productions, Route 66 Studios and Rubber chicken software.

                        All three of these companies support the Ensoniq line of samplers and have exclusive licensing deals with Emu/Ensoniq to provide the manuals and service docs as well as samples and parts.

                        Not vary cool that you would ignore my posts and stomp on the only three company's that still support your samplers. I don't see anyone else here stepping up to the plate and investing time and dollars into parts and software for these samplers.

                        Do you stand by your own description header of this group or are you hypocrite?

                        Richard at Route 66

                        ----- Original Messa

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                          I've noticed that the list has shown the type of message delivery that
                          indicates fully moderated status for some time now, so I don't think it was
                          just this topic that caused some delay in posts getting out. Messages have
                          been coming out in "Chunks" for some time now, at least a few weeks,
                          indicating that they're getting moderated sporadically. Not a complaint at
                          all, just an observation of the traffic here lately.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                            Which of these companies truly have exclusive licensing deals with Emu/Ensoniq?

                            >Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced
                            >Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and
                            >Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much
                            >thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related
                            >information should be posted up on this site as time permits. If you
                            >would like to post something, ask me question, or anything else;
                            >Email me at christopher@.... If you post something, it will
                            >be fully accredited for an no commercial gain will be made off it.
                            >Lets keep the modifications and support for these machines going!
                            >Note: This information is not just for the EPS. It can be applied to
                            >the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR series samplers. (With the exception of the Service Manual)

                            Please take them down; you don't own the copyright and cannot publish
                            them. I know your intent is to be helpful, but just like you can't
                            PDF someone elses book online, you can't do the same for a manual.
                            I'm not Emu; but it's still some of my concern - if someone published
                            my copyrighted material I'd want someone to stick up for me. The
                            Internet can only be self-policed.

                            Emu does publish the ASR-10 manual on their website, and almost all
                            of it applies to the EPS samplers.

                            Again, we all want to be helpful, but copyrights have meaning. Public
                            distribution is prohibited unless you hold the copyright.

                            Garth Hjelte
                            Sampler User

                          • Dave Becker
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                              Often we don't see our own emails that we post. Is that what happened to you?
                              If you look at webpage, you may see your posts. (Unless there some moderation
                              going on.)

                              Dave

                              >Ok, I've posted the Ensoniq EPS Musicians Manual, Advanced
                              >Applications Guide, Quick Command/Parameter Reference Card, and
                              >Service Manual online. The manuals have been made web friendly. Much
                              >thanks goes out to Yahaya Abdullah. More Ensoniq EPS related
                              >information should be posted up on this site as time permits. If you
                              >would like to post something, ask me question, or anything else;
                              >Email me at christopher@.... If you post something, it will
                              >be fully accredited for an no commercial gain will be made off it.
                              >Lets keep the modifications and support for these machines going!
                              >Note: This information is not just for the EPS. It can be applied to
                              >the EPS/EPS 16+/ASR series samplers. (With the exception of the Service Manual)

                              Please take them down; you don't own the copyright and cannot publish
                              them. I know your intent is to be helpful, but just like you can't
                              PDF someone elses book online, you can't do the same for a manual.
                              I'm not Emu; but it's still some of my concern - if someone published
                              my copyrighted material I'd want someone to stick up for me. The
                              Internet can only be self-policed.

                              Emu does publish the ASR-10 manual on their website, and almost all
                              of it applies to the EPS samplers.

                              Again, we all want to be helpful, but copyrights have meaning. Public
                              distribution is prohibited unless you hold the copyright.

                              Garth Hjelte
                              Sampler User

                            • gordonjcp
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 8, 2010
                                --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "Rish" <rish@...> wrote:

                                > Ya...as soon as the manuals were posted I was blocked as well.

                                "Blocked" blocked, or "mail not going through" blocked? The list - and Yahoo! Groups generally - has been very slow for about a week.

                                Gordon MM0YEQ
                              • Hans Artmann
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 8, 2010
                                  I don't like to say this but that repeatedly insisting on obscure
                                  copyrights needs a note, and I prefer to deliver facts instead of
                                  getting rude:

                                  a) Emu provides many manuals for legacy equipment themselves on their
                                  website for free, Ensonniq products being amongst them.
                                  b) Emu has not cared to answer requests to clarify the copyright
                                  situation for Ensoniq manuals in particular. When I asked the
                                  question I was referred to a sales department who never gave an answer
                                  c) My note to them that I would assume Emu not to disagree to publishing
                                  the materials if their was no answer to them was also unanswered.
                                  d) There are other websites than the Yahoo Ensoniq groups publishing
                                  Ensoniq materials.
                                  e) To my knowledge Emu has never enjoined any of them from doing so (and
                                  I assume they'll never do).
                                  f) Transferring exclusive rights needs the transfer being in writing
                                  <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html>

                                  This is why I kindly ask you to prove the fact that Emu has granted you
                                  the exclusive right to sell Ensoniq manuals and please publish the
                                  relevant certificates on your website.
                                  Otherwise please stop at least your accusations in that tone of yours.

                                  And even if Emu has granted you the right to sell their legacy manuals
                                  it's only up to Emu as the copyright holder to state infringement by
                                  sending a cease-and-desist letter before filing a lawsuit.

                                  Hans

                                  Rish schrieb:

                                  > Ya...as soon as the manuals were posted I was blocked as well.
                                  >
                                  > Moderator have you read the description you created for this group?
                                  >

                                  > [[[[[[[[[[ IMPORTANT NOTE ]]]]]]]]]]
                                  > This community respects the rights of copyright owners and thus does
                                  > not advocate piracy.
                                  > ANY discussion relating to trading copyrighted materials (e.g. 3rd
                                  > party commercial software tools and sound libraries) will not be
                                  > tolerated. By subscribing to this group you agree to comply with this
                                  > request. Members not observing this request will be banned.
                                  >
                                  > Moderator get off your ass do your job and remove the manuals from
                                  > this list. I might remind you that this group has members that own
                                  > Syntuar productions, Route 66 Studios and Rubber chicken software.
                                  >
                                  > All three of these companies support the Ensoniq line of samplers and
                                  > have exclusive licensing deals with Emu/Ensoniq to provide the manuals
                                  > and service docs as well as samples and parts.
                                  >
                                  > Not vary cool that you would ignore my posts and stomp on the only
                                  > three company's that still support your samplers. I don't see anyone
                                  > else here stepping up to the plate and investing time and dollars into
                                  > parts and software for these samplers.
                                  >
                                  > Do you stand by your own description header of this group or are you
                                  > hypocrite?
                                  >
                                  > Richard at Route 66
                                  >
                                  > ----- Original Messa

                                  Hans Artmann
                                  Flüggenstr. 10
                                  80639 München
                                  Tel +49 89 17095720
                                  Fax +49 89 17095722
                                  Mob +49 151 17413090

                                • Chris
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 8, 2010
                                    Ok, due to much controversy over copyright laws, I've taken the manuals down.

                                  • Paul
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 14, 2010
                                      --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "Rish" <rish@...> wrote:

                                      > Ya...as soon as the manuals were posted I was blocked as well.

                                      I've also been unable to post any new topics.

                                      Paul
                                    • mishon53511
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 28, 2010
                                        Hey Hans
                                        Want me to put my drivers lic and social security card up as well? not going to happen buddy.

                                        Richard

                                        --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Hans Artmann <hans.artmann@...> wrote:

                                        > I don't like to say this but that repeatedly insisting on obscure
                                        > copyrights needs a note, and I prefer to deliver facts instead of
                                        > getting rude:
                                        >
                                        > a) Emu provides many manuals for legacy equipment themselves on their
                                        > website for free, Ensonniq products being amongst them.
                                        > b) Emu has not cared to answer requests to clarify the copyright
                                        > situation for Ensoniq manuals in particular. When I asked the
                                        > question I was referred to a sales department who never gave an answer
                                        > c) My note to them that I would assume Emu not to disagree to publishing
                                        > the materials if their was no answer to them was also unanswered.
                                        > d) There are other websites than the Yahoo Ensoniq groups publishing
                                        > Ensoniq materials.
                                        > e) To my knowledge Emu has never enjoined any of them from doing so (and
                                        > I assume they'll never do).
                                        > f) Transferring exclusive rights needs the transfer being in writing
                                        > <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html>
                                        >
                                        > This is why I kindly ask you to prove the fact that Emu has granted you
                                        > the exclusive right to sell Ensoniq manuals and please publish the
                                        > relevant certificates on your website.
                                        > Otherwise please stop at least your accusations in that tone of yours.
                                        >
                                        > And even if Emu has granted you the right to sell their legacy manuals
                                        > it's only up to Emu as the copyright holder to state infringement by
                                        > sending a cease-and-desist letter before filing a lawsuit.
                                        >
                                        > Hans
                                        >

                                        > Rish schrieb:
                                        > >

                                        > > Ya...as soon as the manuals were posted I was blocked as well.
                                        > >
                                        > > Moderator have you read the description you created for this group?
                                        > >

                                        > > [[[[[[[[[[ IMPORTANT NOTE ]]]]]]]]]]
                                        > > This community respects the rights of copyright owners and thus does
                                        > > not advocate piracy.
                                        > > ANY discussion relating to trading copyrighted materials (e.g. 3rd
                                        > > party commercial software tools and sound libraries) will not be
                                        > > tolerated. By subscribing to this group you agree to comply with this
                                        > > request. Members not observing this request will be banned.
                                        > >
                                        > > Moderator get off your ass do your job and remove the manuals from
                                        > > this list. I might remind you that this group has members that own
                                        > > Syntuar productions, Route 66 Studios and Rubber chicken software.
                                        > >
                                        > > All three of these companies support the Ensoniq line of samplers and
                                        > > have exclusive licensing deals with Emu/Ensoniq to provide the manuals
                                        > > and service docs as well as samples and parts.
                                        > >
                                        > > Not vary cool that you would ignore my posts and stomp on the only
                                        > > three company's that still support your samplers. I don't see anyone
                                        > > else here stepping up to the plate and investing time and dollars into
                                        > > parts and software for these samplers.
                                        > >
                                        > > Do you stand by your own description header of this group or are you
                                        > > hypocrite?
                                        > >
                                        > > Richard at Route 66
                                        > >
                                        > > ----- Original Messa

                                      • John Karns
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 28, 2010
                                          On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Hans Artmann <hans.artmann@...> wrote:

                                          > This is why I kindly ask you to prove the fact that Emu has granted you
                                          > the exclusive right to sell Ensoniq manuals and please publish the
                                          > relevant certificates on your website.
                                          > Otherwise please stop at least your accusations in that tone of yours.
                                          >
                                          > And even if Emu has granted you the right to sell their legacy manuals
                                          > it's only up to Emu as the copyright holder to state infringement by
                                          > sending a cease-and-desist letter before filing a lawsuit.
                                          >
                                          > Hans

                                          Agreed!

                                          --
                                          John Karns
                                        • Garth Hjelte
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 28, 2010
                                            At 04:31 PM 1/6/2010, you wrote:

                                            >What about the products your company at chickensys dot com sells...
                                            >Do you now own the products, or do you have special permission to sell them?

                                            We don't sell any Ensoniq-made stuff, so we have never needed any
                                            special permission. We sell what we make or what others make.

                                            Garth Hjelte
                                            Sampler User
                                          • Garth Hjelte
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 28, 2010
                                              At 11:58 PM 1/7/2010, you wrote:

                                              >Which of these companies truly have exclusive licensing deals with
                                              >Emu/Ensoniq?

                                              I suppose all that claim they do. There's no way of really checking.

                                              Again, none fo this matters - Emu provides manuals up at their site
                                              for free and there's no need to buy them. We (RCS) provide OS disks
                                              at our site and ways to write them to floppy. All free.

                                              Garth Hjelte
                                              Sampler User