Re: ASR startup gone crazy

  • dajrus3
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2009
      OL

      israel.... yeah ,uhm that's far away.
      i still would like to help. i don't know how much it would cost but you could send me the main board and the power supply and i would be happy to go over them free of charge. i could re-replace the IC and test them on my tester asr10. then get them back to you.
      i don't know if ups international would be the cheapest but i could find out. i know some one with a ups store. give me an address and i could get a quote......

      just as jammie said about the cold solder joints. if you trust your tech, have him re-replace the IC and then resolder all of the caps and transistors on the digital, analog, power supply and the display board. once that is done, you might see a real change.
      i do this to every asr 10 i fix reguardless of the error. it keep the maching going.

      Keep us posted.

      dave

      --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Oren <onlyfunk@...> wrote:

      > Jamie,
      >
      > There are no digits missing, only random loop of digits, and it does not boot.
      > The Tech said the IC 7407 on the digital board smoked and he does not know why. when I spoke to him on the phone he said it might blow again for an unknown reason to him . I hope he didn't kill the ASR when he had it.
      > I wish I could get a real expert like you guys to fix the pour machine. I live far away :(
      >
      > I will give the tech the list of your possibilities and see what he says.
      > hope he understand it. couldn't find anybody whose willing to try and fix it except him .

    • Wayne Griffin
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 1, 2009
        ...was there something wrong with the wave-soldering at Ensoniq when they were being made? Was it just on the ASR generation? Maybe it's just the goddamn heat. Glad I have a Pace machine all the sudden :)

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2009
          Dave,
          Your suggestion to help me sounds Awesome and really puts hope in this ASR situation. If this could happen as you say it would be great!!!
          First thing i will do is wait for the tech to see what he comes up with. He is traveling so i have to wait for him to return. Then, if he fails and gives up on me, I thing I will ship it to you as a last resort.
          I Checked the map, I saw Georgia is not so far from Israel (Unless it's Georgia in the U.S.A), maybe 2 hours flight. So it might be not to expensive to ship. My Address in Israel is: Tel Aviv, Postal :65222.
          Let me know what is the quote. and I will go on from there.

          Thanks all you guys for having this helpful forum, I hope one day, I too could help someone in need.

        • dajrus3
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 15, 2009
            ol

            its georgia in the good old USA but no need to fear, we can still get it here.

            dave

            --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Griffin <ingsoc_1979@...> wrote:

            > ...was there something wrong with the wave-soldering at Ensoniq when they were being made? Was it just on the ASR generation? Maybe it's just the goddamn heat. Glad I have a Pace machine all the sudden :)

          • onlyfunk
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 4, 2010
              Hi,
              I Solved this problem once and for all!
              My ASR nightmare is over.
              Just bought a New ASR in a great condition for 300$ and gave the old one for parts to the seller ( he needed them).

              Thanks to everybody that offered their help.
              much appreciate.

              Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
              Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?
              Would you absolutely recommend installing this Mod?
              if so please let me know where can I get this mod.
              I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.
              I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth, but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...

              Thanks.
              OL.

              --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "onlyfunk" <onlyfunk@...> wrote:

              > HI,
              > My ASR-10 it had issues since I got it.
              > It worked for a while with the keyboard calibration problem.
              > Now a new problem begun:
              > when starting up, All the digits and numbers start running and flying all over the palace on the screen and at the end it is stuck with gibberish letters and numbers.
              >
              > Anybody knows what does this indicates?
              > can someone tell me what this means?
              >
              > Your Help is important to me
              > Thanks,
              > OL

            • Garth Hjelte
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 5, 2010
                At 07:20 PM 1/4/2010, you wrote:

                >I Solved this problem once and for all!
                >My ASR nightmare is over.
                >Just bought a New ASR in a great condition for 300$ and gave the old
                >one for parts to the seller ( he needed them).
                >Thanks to everybody that offered their help.
                >much appreciate.

                Yeah! Good deal.

                >Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
                >Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan
                >mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?

                Others may have other opinions but I never thought this was
                necessary. If the ASR-10 is hot, it's because it's doing a GOOD JOB
                at sinking the heat. Just the fact that the ASR-10 is hot doesn't
                necessarily mean that the internal components are over-stressed.

                >I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard
                >will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.
                >I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth,
                >but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...

                Right, it may have come from me, but this is pretty normal thinking.

                Any cooling to be effective (if necessary) would have to be a lot
                closer to the components. Cooling the ASR-10 externally means you are
                cooling the heat sink, which isn't a critical component. The heat
                sink's purpose is to draw heat AWAY from critical components. Cooling
                the heat sink doesn't really mean anything in my opinion.

                However, there are a lot of much better electronic people on this
                list then I, so I'm sure their opinion may be more qualified. Still,
                my description above is what I've always understood.

                Garth Hjelte
                Sampler User
              • John Karns
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 8, 2010
                  On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM, onlyfunk <onlyfunk@...> wrote:

                  > Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
                  > Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?

                  I'm not familiar with the mod; and I have the EPS-16+, not the ASR,
                  but I would guess that they have similar designs, as far as the
                  cooling + heat-sink go at least. The EPS heat-sink also gets quite
                  warm to the touch after running under power for 30 minutes or so.

                  > Would you absolutely recommend installing this Mod?
                  > if so please let me know where can I get this mod.
                  > I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.

                  Anything is apt to be better than nothing. I wouldn't think it should
                  be too much of a concern under "normal" climatic conditions - i.e.,
                  with ambient air temps 70-75 deg F and below. For higher summer
                  temps, or if the instrument was to be placed indoors next to a window,
                  say, (or outdoors in the summer) with the sun on it, then external
                  cooling would probably be better than no cooling. Having the air
                  current from a fan passing directly over the heat-sink would no doubt
                  be the most effective.

                  > I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth, but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...

                  Don't know what you mean here. Cooling is important for any
                  electronic gear that generates heat, and I have thought that the EPS
                  heat-sink is under-sized from what it probably should be. I've never
                  really used EPS to gig with, but have thought that if I were to use it
                  on a gig here in the heat of an Arizona summer, I would be concerned
                  about the gear overheating if it wasn't inside an air-conditioned
                  space.

                  I just looked through the pdf Musician's Manual for specifications on
                  the instrument, and surprisingly, there is no specification page at
                  all. Almost every manual in which I can remember searching for
                  specifications, which usually include information such as how much
                  power it consumes, (hopefully) minimum and maximum ambient temperature
                  for safe operation, etc, has such a listing, but not so for the EPS
                  manual! Perhaps they hid the info elsewhere.

                  --
                  John Karns
                • onlyfunk
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                    Garth,

                    Thanks for this useful info, i think this really is an important matter.

                    nobody wants to cause any damage to the ASR by doing something wrong, and letting it burn slowly.we all need this sampler for important work.
                    So what you suggest is that I absolutely don't need to install the Fan inside the Keyboard?
                    If anybody differs on this subject please let your opinion stand out here. This could be crucial for any ASR-10 user and can up-bring important info on this issue.

                    OL.

                    --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

                    > At 07:20 PM 1/4/2010, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >I Solved this problem once and for all!
                    > >My ASR nightmare is over.
                    > >Just bought a New ASR in a great condition for 300$ and gave the old
                    > >one for parts to the seller ( he needed them).
                    > >Thanks to everybody that offered their help.
                    > >much appreciate.
                    >
                    > Yeah! Good deal.
                    >
                    > >Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
                    > >Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan
                    > >mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?
                    >
                    > Others may have other opinions but I never thought this was
                    > necessary. If the ASR-10 is hot, it's because it's doing a GOOD JOB
                    > at sinking the heat. Just the fact that the ASR-10 is hot doesn't
                    > necessarily mean that the internal components are over-stressed.
                    >
                    > >I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard
                    > >will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.
                    > >I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth,
                    > >but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...
                    >
                    > Right, it may have come from me, but this is pretty normal thinking.
                    >
                    > Any cooling to be effective (if necessary) would have to be a lot
                    > closer to the components. Cooling the ASR-10 externally means you are
                    > cooling the heat sink, which isn't a critical component. The heat
                    > sink's purpose is to draw heat AWAY from critical components. Cooling
                    > the heat sink doesn't really mean anything in my opinion.
                    >
                    > However, there are a lot of much better electronic people on this
                    > list then I, so I'm sure their opinion may be more qualified. Still,
                    > my description above is what I've always understood.
                    >
                    > Garth Hjelte
                    > Sampler User

                  • Hans Artmann
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 11, 2010

                      > Any cooling to be effective (if necessary) would have to be a lot
                      > closer to the components. Cooling the ASR-10 externally means you are
                      > cooling the heat sink, which isn't a critical component. The heat
                      > sink's purpose is to draw heat AWAY from critical components. Cooling
                      > the heat sink doesn't really mean anything in my opinion.

                      The heat sink IS a very critical component BECAUSE it draws away the
                      heat. There must always be a difference in temperature between the
                      heat source (the components to be cooled) and the heat sink.
                      The heat sink is closely coupled with the critical components and cooling
                      the heat sink makes a lot of sense: the lower the heat sink's
                      temperature the more heat can be taken from the inner components.
                      Believe me.

                      Hans

                      --
                      Hans Artmann
                      Flüggenstr. 10

                    • onlyfunk
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 13, 2010
                        Thanks Garth,
                        It is really important for me to get your opinion on this matter.
                        I think this is a question any Ensoniq user asks himself from time to time, and it's never clear enough if this cooling mod is really necessary.
                        if you say i can work with the ASR10 keyboard with no worry's of over heating the components it is good news.
                        Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                        With Respect,
                        OL

                        --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...> wrote:

                        > At 07:20 PM 1/4/2010, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >I Solved this problem once and for all!
                        > >My ASR nightmare is over.
                        > >Just bought a New ASR in a great condition for 300$ and gave the old
                        > >one for parts to the seller ( he needed them).
                        > >Thanks to everybody that offered their help.
                        > >much appreciate.
                        >
                        > Yeah! Good deal.
                        >
                        > >Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
                        > >Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan
                        > >mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?
                        >
                        > Others may have other opinions but I never thought this was
                        > necessary. If the ASR-10 is hot, it's because it's doing a GOOD JOB
                        > at sinking the heat. Just the fact that the ASR-10 is hot doesn't
                        > necessarily mean that the internal components are over-stressed.
                        >
                        > >I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard
                        > >will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.
                        > >I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth,
                        > >but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...
                        >
                        > Right, it may have come from me, but this is pretty normal thinking.
                        >
                        > Any cooling to be effective (if necessary) would have to be a lot
                        > closer to the components. Cooling the ASR-10 externally means you are
                        > cooling the heat sink, which isn't a critical component. The heat
                        > sink's purpose is to draw heat AWAY from critical components. Cooling
                        > the heat sink doesn't really mean anything in my opinion.
                        >
                        > However, there are a lot of much better electronic people on this
                        > list then I, so I'm sure their opinion may be more qualified. Still,
                        > my description above is what I've always understood.
                        >
                        > Garth Hjelte
                        > Sampler User

                      • onlyfunk
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                          John,

                          I see what you mean and it makes a lot of sense.
                          The so called "myth" i was talking about is something I read about, I remember it said that if you use the ASR for long periods of time it will start giving you problems due to over heating.
                          I don't know if it's a myth or not and am afraid to find out myself.
                          I understand you say external heating is a good idea but would internal heating be better?
                          If so can anybody give instructions how it's done?

                          Thanks,
                          OL.

                          I don't know
                          --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, John Karns <johnkarns@...> wrote:

                          > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM, onlyfunk <onlyfunk@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Now, I want to make sure this new ASR stays alive.
                          > > Can any of you experienced users please tell me if the Cooler fan mod is a necessity for keeping the keyboard healthy?
                          >
                          > I'm not familiar with the mod; and I have the EPS-16+, not the ASR,
                          > but I would guess that they have similar designs, as far as the
                          > cooling + heat-sink go at least. The EPS heat-sink also gets quite
                          > warm to the touch after running under power for 30 minutes or so.
                          >

                          > > Would you absolutely recommend installing this Mod?
                          > > if so please let me know where can I get this mod.
                          > > I was thinking maybe just putting a little fan near the keyboard will do fine, but i don't know if it would really help.
                          >
                          > Anything is apt to be better than nothing. I wouldn't think it should
                          > be too much of a concern under "normal" climatic conditions - i.e.,
                          > with ambient air temps 70-75 deg F and below. For higher summer
                          > temps, or if the instrument was to be placed indoors next to a window,
                          > say, (or outdoors in the summer) with the sun on it, then external
                          > cooling would probably be better than no cooling. Having the air
                          > current from a fan passing directly over the heat-sink would no doubt
                          > be the most effective.
                          >

                          > > I also read somewhere that the hole cooling story is just a myth, but no clue, so please some thoughts would really help...
                          >
                          > Don't know what you mean here. Cooling is important for any
                          > electronic gear that generates heat, and I have thought that the EPS
                          > heat-sink is under-sized from what it probably should be. I've never
                          > really used EPS to gig with, but have thought that if I were to use it
                          > on a gig here in the heat of an Arizona summer, I would be concerned
                          > about the gear overheating if it wasn't inside an air-conditioned
                          > space.
                          >
                          > I just looked through the pdf Musician's Manual for specifications on
                          > the instrument, and surprisingly, there is no specification page at
                          > all. Almost every manual in which I can remember searching for
                          > specifications, which usually include information such as how much
                          > power it consumes, (hopefully) minimum and maximum ambient temperature
                          > for safe operation, etc, has such a listing, but not so for the EPS
                          > manual! Perhaps they hid the info elsewhere.
                          >
                          > --
                          > John Karns

                        • Garth Hjelte
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                            At 01:57 AM 1/12/2010, you wrote:

                            > > Any cooling to be effective (if necessary) would have to be a lot
                            > > closer to the components. Cooling the ASR-10 externally means you are
                            > > cooling the heat sink, which isn't a critical component. The heat
                            > > sink's purpose is to draw heat AWAY from critical components. Cooling
                            > > the heat sink doesn't really mean anything in my opinion.

                            >The heat sink IS a very critical component

                            I was talking "critical operational" components, which don't like
                            being too hot. The heat sink is SUPPOSED to be hot.

                            >There must always be a difference in temperature between the heat
                            >source (the components to be cooled) and the heat sink.
                            >The heat sink is closely coupled with the critical components and
                            >cooling the heat sink makes a lot of sense: the lower the heat sink's
                            >temperature the more heat can be taken from the inner components.

                            True, but just because the heat sink is hot doesn't mean it's running
                            at 90% capacity or whatever. Perhaps it's just doing it's job.

                            Garth Hjelte
                            Sampler User
                          • Garth Hjelte
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                              At 02:18 AM 1/13/2010, you wrote:

                              >It is really important for me to get your opinion on this matter.
                              >I think this is a question any Ensoniq user asks himself from time
                              >to time, and it's never clear enough if this cooling mod is really necessary.
                              >if you say i can work with the ASR10 keyboard with no worry's of
                              >over heating the components it is good news.
                              >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like
                              >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your
                              >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                              I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled
                              them. None have ever broken down.

                              I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even
                              after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.
                              Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                              There you go.

                              If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.
                              But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.
                              Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice
                              how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                              Garth Hjelte
                              Sampler User
                            • status gee
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010
                                I've had my ASR since 1994 and it gets hot in the upper right corner. You can put a fan on it if you want-out of concern. However, I haven't had a problem, as Garth said, as a result of heat. I have been very fortunate in that the only problem I've had was the floppy drive went out. I replaced it myself and haven't had a problem since. if you're concerned put a small fan on it externally if you want.

                                Might sound crazy, but I think that the as the ASR warms up, so does the sound. I think that the sound changes a little... very little. Could just be me. I wouldn't open it just to try to add cooling.

                                Status

                                >It is really important for me to get your opinion on this matter.
                                >I think this is a question any Ensoniq user asks himself from time
                                >to time, and it's never clear enough if this cooling mod is really necessary.
                                >if you say i can work with the ASR10 keyboard with no worry's of
                                >over heating the components it is good news.
                                >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like
                                >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your
                                >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                                I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled
                                them. None have ever broken down.

                                I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even
                                after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.
                                Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                                There you go.

                                If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.
                                But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.
                                Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice
                                how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                                Garth Hjelte
                                Sampler User

                              • OL
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 2, 2010
                                  OK you convinced me people, If Status owns the machine for 15 years and Garth fixes them on regular bases for ages  i am gonna take their word on it. No more worries on heating, although i don't leave it open for more than 3 hours a day usually just in case ;).
                                  Hell if the sound gets warmer after it heats up it freaky, maybe it's to do with the D/A A/D
                                  or something, I'll check the sound and see if i hear any change.

                                  Thanks for your kind advice.

                                  OL.

                                  From: Garth Hjelte <garth@chickensys. com>

                                  To: Ensoniq-ASR10- EPS16@yahoogroup s.com

                                  Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 8:41 PM

                                  At 02:18 AM 1/13/2010, you wrote:

                                  >It is really important for me to get your opinion on this matter.

                                  >I think this is a question any Ensoniq user asks himself from time

                                  >to time, and it's never clear enough if this cooling mod is really necessary.

                                  >if you say i can work with the ASR10 keyboard with no worry's of

                                  >over heating the components it is good news.

                                  >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like

                                  >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your

                                  >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                                  I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled

                                  them. None have ever broken down.

                                  I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even

                                  after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.

                                  Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                                  There you go.

                                  If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.

                                  But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.

                                  Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice

                                  how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                                  Garth Hjelte

                                  Sampler User

                                • mindkil
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010
                                    I have an ASR-10rack, and it did sometimes start to act weird after being on for more than 3-4 hours on hot summer days. Probably it did have some connection with overheating?
                                    What I did: using an old power supply unit (PSU) from a PC, took out the power-converters board and cables, left just the big cooling-fan inside, put a small connector on the outside of the box to which I connected the fan and made a connector for a simple AC/DC adapter (think 12V setting, but you can check on the fan what voltage does it need). I put this little box to the side of the Rack so that it blows the cool air on the body of it. When I use the ASR-10R I also turn on the fan (put in the connector of the adaptor into the fans cable outing on the PSU box) and had no problem with it since, I can leave it on as long as needed. Not the best-tech solution, but it works. Something similar could work for the keyboard version also.
                                    I think Route66studios have a solution for it called e-cooler or something, maybe you can check here also:
                                    http://www.route66studios.com/index.html

                                    I think cooling the unit down helps for its operating stability. I had VFX-SD before and it definitely worked more stable if I cooled it down (I made some home-made e-cooler fan-row for it that I put on the heat-sink at the back)

                                    BR,m

                                    --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, OL <onlyfunk@...> wrote:

                                    > OK you convinced me people, If Status owns the machine for 15 years and Garth fixes them on regular bases for ages  i am gonna take their word on it. No more worries on heating, although i don't leave it open for more than 3 hours a day usually just in case ;).
                                    > Hell if the sound gets warmer after it heats up it freaky, maybe it's to do with the D/A A/D
                                    > or something, I'll check the sound and see if i hear any change.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your kind advice.
                                    >
                                    > OL.

                                  • OL
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 4, 2010
                                      Like the Godfather said : "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. " :)
                                      So here is somebody saying I should cool the ASR down.
                                      I thought i could forget about it and sleep well at night.
                                      but now I am worried again, I don't want my ASR to suffer!!!
                                      I looked at the Route66 site and it's says the E-cooler is out of production.
                                      Does anybody know where else can you get the E-cooler?
                                      Is there a difference between the ASR-10R and the ASR Keyboard regarding the heat problem? Maybe the keyboard can take more heat than the Rack.
                                      Sorry for all the the questions... hope you have the patience for my lack of knowledge.

                                      OL
                                      --- On Thu, 2/4/10, mindkil <mindk@...

                                      From: mindkil <mindk@...>
                                      To: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 4:40 PM

> [...]

                                      > >over heating the components it is good news.

                                      > >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like

                                      > >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your

                                      > >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                                      > I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled

                                      > them. None have ever broken down.

                                      > I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even

                                      > after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.

                                      > Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                                      > There you go.

                                      > If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.

                                      > But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.

                                      > Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice

                                      > how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                                    • Eric Hall
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 7, 2010
                                        You can put a fan on it, if you like, I did on my VFX... Though my EPS 16+ doesn't seem to need it as much. Don't know about the ASR10.

                                        For my VFX-SD, I used an old computer cpu fan and a 9-vold wall-wort that I didn't need. I hooked up the wall-wort to the fan,  then I used some expansion fasteners between the fins to fasten the fan to the VFX's heat sink. Works fine.

                                        Eric

                                        --- On Thu, 2/4/10, mindkil <mindk@freemail. hu

                                        From: mindkil <mindk@freemail. hu>

                                        To: Ensoniq-ASR10- EPS16@yahoogroup s.com

                                        Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 4:40 PM

> [...]

                                        > >over heating the components it is good news.

                                        > >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like

                                        > >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your

                                        > >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                                        > I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled

                                        > them. None have ever broken down.

                                        > I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even

                                        > after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.

                                        > Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                                        > There you go.

                                        > If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.

                                        > But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.

                                        > Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice

                                        > how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                                      • Garth Hjelte
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 7, 2010
                                          At 04:18 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:

                                          >Like the Godfather said : "Just when I thought I was out... they
                                          >pull me back in. " :)

                                          I thought that was from Seinfeld. =)

                                          >So here is somebody saying I should cool the ASR down.
                                          >I thought i could forget about it and sleep well at night.
                                          >but now I am worried again, I don't want my ASR to suffer!!!
                                          >I looked at the Route66 site and it's says the E-cooler is out of production.
                                          >Does anybody know where else can you get the E-cooler?
                                          >Is there a difference between the ASR-10R and the ASR Keyboard
                                          >regarding the heat problem? Maybe the keyboard can take more heat
                                          >than the Rack.
                                          >Sorry for all the the questions... hope you have the patience for my
                                          >lack of knowledge.

                                          Garth Hjelte
                                          Sampler User
                                        • jammie
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 8, 2010
                                            heating is only a problem with the psu caps get very hot and there working life becomes shorter but do not use cooling as the components are suppose to get hot at there optimum working temperature

                                            the reason why comps have coolers on there cpu and mpu and fpu is that they are so small in design and run at high speed they generate a lot of heat so they need to be cooled

                                            but the components in the asr ten are much bigger in size the are placed a lot wider so have much better heat disapation also they dont even have heat sinks on them and obviously the r and d department did burning in tests for heat at the design stage all is good if it was not then you would have burning ic,s which i have never seen in ensoniq in the 20+ years of testing these machines i have several asr10 keyboard and several asr10 racks i have sq80 /esq1/several mirages/sq1+/sqr+/ts10/eps16+/eps and i never had heating problems

                                            its only the caps they used low grade temperature 1,s and they go over time 10-20 years and need servicing from time to time its the same with all eletronic equipment

                                            analogs are even worse they have to be service regurly to keep them at optimal usage

                                            if you upgrade the psu ripple caps to the same capacitance and 105 oc grade then thers no problem as heat wont get that hot but it might reach the 85 oc barreir where the lower gradce only last 4000 hours at this continous heat

                                            if you are that worriedthen provide air flow with for rack

                                            a set of 6mm holes on the top off the casing where the psu is and a set under the psu in the bottom casing that way you are allowing free flow are movent which is better that a fan making noise make sure you use some filter foam on the inside to stop dust when the psu get hot it will rise causing a vacuum pulling air through the bottom of the casing washing over the psu board

                                            the key board you can do the same but you will be able to see the holes in the top of the keyoard so would need to ream out holes so it looks professional if yo do a set of holes in circles starting with 1 in centeruse a protracter and draw a set of circles 10mm apart draw four circles making it 80mm in diameter then divide each circle into a clock face 12 equal parts first cirle and the 3rd circle make the same an the 2nd and 4rth make the holes line up with the centre of the 2 holes of the 1st and 3rd when drilled and hand reamed and filter foam glued to the under side of the panel it looks realy neat

                                            but remember any mod like this even though it prelongs the life of a instrument will decrease its value for reasale as its a moded case i have done this to one of my keyboards it was in such a state when purchased for £50 all the decales and printed words were worn away

                                            floppy was broken and a few broken keys so i removed the analog board and fitted a rack analog board and a rack expantion output board i fitted a scsi to atapi cf and slim floppy combo drive and had the metal plate engraved with the legend for the buttons then i had it anadised chromed ill post pictures when finished

                                            From: mindkil <mindk@...>
                                            To: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 4:40 PM

> [...]

                                            > >over heating the components it is good news.

                                            > >Still if some of the electronic experts that are members here like

                                            > >Dave, Gordon, Jammie and others differ this, please share your

                                            > >opinion. I think it's important Ensoniq users should know all about.

                                            > I've had many EPS's and ASR's for the last 22 years. Never cooled

                                            > them. None have ever broken down.

                                            > I still take about 5-10 Ensoniq-specific phone calls a week, even

                                            > after 22 years of accepting them. I always get lots of emails.

                                            > Practically none ever complain about a broken EPS/ASR due to heat.

                                            > There you go.

                                            > If someone wants to cool their unit, there's certainly no harm in it.

                                            > But I've never seen a precedent that the EPS/ASR needed cooling.

                                            > Often (or all the time) the subject comes up because people notice

                                            > how hot the ASR-10 in particular gets, which is a fear.

                                          • status gee
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 9, 2010
                                              I am glad your not a firefighter. If something is hot, either cool it or leave it!! Put a fan on it already!!, If you want to open it for that reason; go right ahead. The next time you have a stomach ache use the same philosophy.

                                              From: mindkil <mindk@freemail. hu>

                                              To: Ensoniq-ASR10- EPS16@yahoogroup s.com

                                              Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 4:40 PM