midi disk tools for XP?

  • charlie_da_czech
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      im sorry guys but i kinda caught the tail end of this convo but i dont
      know if my eyes seen the right thing or not and i may be mistaken but
      are you guys makeing a version of midi disk tools for xp and is it
      going to be a thing were if you have lets say like the floppy drive
      that came with your computer(a windows xp of course)you can drag and
      drop wave files or what have you drum sounds and such from your
      computer and use the midi disk tools program to convert them to the
      floppys in ensoniq format onto the floppy drive thats installed in
      your computer or a usb floppy is that what im hearing or am i seeing
      the wrong thing i would like to know so i can know were to buy that
      version if not thank you for takeing time out to respond

      thanks
    • mindkil
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Yes, Garth is occasionally on the list, so he'll probably reply you
        about disk-tools. I'm not sure if it works on XP though. When I tried
        the demo, it didn't.

        You have also the option of using Ensoniq FS for Total commander,
        which reads Ensoniq format fine through SCSI, and with the help of
        Omniflop the floppies also. (but, OmniFlop is unlikely to work with an
        external USB floppy drive). And what's best, both of these utils are
        free, and work in XP. Total commander is shareware, but totally functional without need for paying/registering (just a nag screen at
        start). You maybe have it already on your PC, as it is quite common
        and useful file browser/manager.
        EnsoniqFS: http://thoralt.ehecht.com/projects.html
        Omniflop: http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm
        Total commander: http://www.ghisler.com/

        Hope this works.

        Best,
        mindk

        --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "charlie_da_czech"
        <charlie_da_czech@...> wrote:

        > im sorry guys but i kinda caught the tail end of this convo but i
        dont
        > know if my eyes seen the right thing or not and i may be mistaken
        but
        > are you guys makeing a version of midi disk tools for xp and is it
        > going to be a thing were if you have lets say like the floppy drive
        > that came with your computer(a windows xp of course)you can drag and
        > drop wave files or what have you drum sounds and such from your
        > computer and use the midi disk tools program to convert them to the
        > floppys in ensoniq format onto the floppy drive thats installed in
        > your computer or a usb floppy is that what im hearing or am i seeing
        > the wrong thing i would like to know so i can know were to buy that
        > version if not thank you for takeing time out to respond
        >
        > thanks

      • Garth Hjelte
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          At 07:21 AM 3/1/2009, you wrote:

          >Yes, Garth is occasionally on the list, so he'll probably reply you
          >about disk-tools. I'm not sure if it works on XP though. When I tried
          >the demo, it didn't.

          MIDI-Disk Tools works on XP, not the floppy section though. This is
          coming in Version 4.0, out shortly.

          >You have also the option of using Ensoniq FS for Total commander,
          >which reads Ensoniq format fine through SCSI, and with the help of
          >Omniflop the floppies also. (but, OmniFlop is unlikely to work with
          >an external USB floppy drive).

          Well, not "unlikely", it doesn't at all (see other posts).

          >And what's best, both of these utils are free, and work in XP. Total
          >commander is shareware, but totally functional without need for
          >paying/registering (just a nag screen at start).

          Shareware is NOT free. If you use it, you need to pay for it.
          "Freeware" is freeware.

          There is a truly freeware program - Translator Free, which reads and
          writes Ensoniq disks - SCSI and floppy. It has an interface just like
          Windows Explorer, and it performs like Windows Explorer (industry
          standard). I don't mean to put down TotalCommander - biases aside -
          but it looks like a program made for Win 3.1 and I find it quite
          non-standard. But it seems to have nice high-points - I think once
          you get used to it looks valuable. But again, if you use it you have
          to pay for it. With Translator Free, you can use all the Ensoniq
          functions (within Ensoniq and no conversions) legally and freely.

          And additionally, Translator Free is continually supported, whereas
          TC seems not to be.

          Garth Hjelte
          Sampler User
        • Garth Hjelte
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
            At 04:14 AM 3/1/2009, you wrote:

            >I'm sorry guys but I kinda caught the tail end of this conversation.
            >Are you guys making a [new] version of MIDI-Disk Tools for XP?

            Yes, Version 4.

            >Is it going to be a thing were if you have lets say like the floppy
            >drive that came with your computer (a windows xp of course) you can drag and
            >drop wave files or what have you drum sounds and such from your
            >computer and use the midi disk tools program to convert them to the
            >floppys in ensoniq format onto the floppy drive thats installed in
            >your computer

            Yes, that's some of what it can do. If that's all your want it for,
            I'd recommend getting Constructor though, which does a much better job at it.

            >or a usb floppy

            USB floppy is not supported. It may be in the future, if it's made possible.

            Garth Hjelte
            Sampler User