EPSm by Terje Finstad

  • mikewolak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hello,

      Does anyone have the latest version of EPSm for Mac? I have an ancient registration code that
      I purchased from the author and I really would like to get this app going again.

      Thanks,

      Mike Wolak
    • acousticdivision
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2015
        ditto- i have been setting up an old IIsi as a dedicated audio terminal for older ensoniq and would love to try out this piece of software. very difficult to locate!
      • Garth Hjelte
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2015
          At 11:38 AM 1/6/2015, you wrote:

          >ditto- i have been setting up an old IIsi as a dedicated audio terminal for older ensoniq and would love to try out this piece of software. very difficult to locate!

          Impossible. And plus there are MANY more advanced things that have been offered since/during EPSm being available.

          If it's floppies you are concerned about, get a free PC and use that with Windows or DOS software.

          If it's Mac you really want and you aren't dealing with floppies, use Translator Free www.chickensys.com

          EPSm also wasn't perfect - not it's fault but the way Mac's work - in that it used workarounds to read and write Ensoniq floppies. You couldn't use floppies formatted by the Ensoniq, you had to use floppies created by EPSm. (BTW, that's the reason behind the COMPUTER type of format in the EPS/ASR itself.) Plus those floppies contained less data than a normal formatted Ensoniq floppy.

          It's a lot better to forgot all that and just use PC's to do this with flopies.

          Garth Hjelte
          Sampler User
        • acousticdivision
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2015
            i already have the mac so i was more looking to use it.

            i did find scEPSi though which works pretty well for the system, but im looking specifically to transfer samples from turbosynth or sound designer into the asr10. apparently there was a free tool "ASR_SCSI" that came with Jupiter Systems Infinity. wondering if that is worth seeking out.

            scEPS is here though:

            ftp://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/midi/PROGRAMS/MAC/scEPSiV144.sea.hqx
          • Garth Hjelte
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2015
              At 03:28 PM 1/6/2015, you wrote:

              >I already have the mac so I was more looking to use it.

              Throw it away. People don't use those old things any more for a reason.

              >I did find scEPSi though which works pretty well for the system, but im looking specifically to transfer samples from turbosynth or sound designer into the asr10. Apparently there was a free tool "ASR-SCSI" that came with Jupiter Systems Infinity. wondering if that is worth seeking out.

              Back in the day, all these things gave everyone nothing but trouble. The Ensoniq's are extremely problematic with direct SCSI sample transfer. They work via MIDI, but that takes FOREVER (and that's putting it nicely).

              Steve Berkely, the guy who made PEAK, produced these utilities. They NEVER worked.

              Use a disk utility and move things back and forth that way. It's 100% reliable and you get to use modern technology THAT WORKS.

              But, if you think that part of nostalgia is FUN - spending money, time, and effort on things that hardly or ever worked, be my guest.

              Garth Hjelte
              Sampler User
            • Yes, That Seafox
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2015
                I remember the info on using Samplevision with direct SCSI transfers back in
                the day, and it was a pretty precise process to make it work. It required
                specific hardware in the computer and some tweaking with device assignments
                to make it work, IIRC. This was Samplevision for Windows, not the earlier
                version. I remember transferring samples from my X-7000 to the GEM version
                of Samplevision and then across to my EPS, and it was a painfully slow
                process.

              • fabiolimasiq
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 14, 2015
                  Why don't you try to contact Terje Finstad again? I think he will respond.

                  Recently, I spoke with him and he sent me 30days trial version of EPSm and I ran successfully on my powermac G3 w/mac OS 9.1

                  but I bought Rubber Chicken Ensoniq MIDI-Disk Tools too because I think that if we can have the best from both worlds, windows and mac, why don't do it?

                  my Best
                  Fabio Lima de Siqueira

                • acousticdivision
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2015
                    do you have his contact by anychance still?