Re: [Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16] Sample input problem..

  • Gordon JC Pearce
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 1:47 AM
      On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 05:37 +0000, sam_goose_266 wrote:

      > And so what ever i try to sample is just distortion, from the heavily
      > over driven signal.

      Can you hear anything of the original signal?

      > What should i do to fix this problem..... Or is it throw in Mr bin time?

      Well I wouldn't bin it, especially if it plays back samples ok.
      Actually sampling on these things isn't that great anyway; transferring
      them from a PC via MIDI is slow but can be a lot easier if you're a
      patient sort.

      Daft as it might sound, if you could post a short sample of the noises
      you get it might help identify the problem. The fact that most of the
      sampler seems to work OK suggests that it's a pretty simple thing,
      possibly one of the op-amps in the input circuit misbehaving.

      Gordon
    • sam_goose_266
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 8:21 AM
        Hi Gordon, and thank you very much for your time.

        I can indeed hear some of the sound creeping thru the distortion.
        In fact I had a very similar problem once with a TL audio microphone
        preamp. Where when i switched in the compressor, it was all distorted.

        ok here is the link to the sound..

        http://minorcrisis.net/files/eps16_sound.mp3

        Also i wonder if it is the op amp. Would it be possible to attempt a
        repair myself?

        Does it involve pushing chips into boards or something?

        Would there be anyway i would be able to go and buy a component, and
        attempt a repair job?

        Or is it service center only?

        Thanks!

        --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce
        <gordon@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 05:37 +0000, sam_goose_266 wrote:
        >
        > > And so what ever i try to sample is just distortion, from the heavily
        > > over driven signal.
        >
        > Can you hear anything of the original signal?
        >
        > > What should i do to fix this problem..... Or is it throw in Mr
        bin time?

        > Well I wouldn't bin it, especially if it plays back samples ok.
        > Actually sampling on these things isn't that great anyway; transferring
        > them from a PC via MIDI is slow but can be a lot easier if you're a
        > patient sort.
        >
        > Daft as it might sound, if you could post a short sample of the noises
        > you get it might help identify the problem. The fact that most of the
        > sampler seems to work OK suggests that it's a pretty simple thing,
        > possibly one of the op-amps in the input circuit misbehaving.
        >
        > Gordon

      • sam_goose_266
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6 3:58 PM
          Ok then opened the EPS 16 up and, its in top condition inside..

          After downloading the ASR 10 service manual, I read that I might have
          to change the internal fuses.

          I did that. Still having the same problem..

          So any wild ideas or guesstamations to what the problem could possibly be?

          Thanks!

          --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "sam_goose_266"
          <alphahero_1981@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gordon, and thank you very much for your time.
          >
          > I can indeed hear some of the sound creeping thru the distortion.
          > In fact I had a very similar problem once with a TL audio microphone
          > preamp. Where when i switched in the compressor, it was all distorted.
          >
          > ok here is the link to the sound..
          >
          > http://minorcrisis.net/files/eps16_sound.mp3
          >
          > Also i wonder if it is the op amp. Would it be possible to attempt a
          > repair myself?
          >
          > Does it involve pushing chips into boards or something?
          >
          > Would there be anyway i would be able to go and buy a component, and
          > attempt a repair job?
          >
          > Or is it service center only?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

          > --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Gordon JC Pearce
          > <gordon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 05:37 +0000, sam_goose_266 wrote:
          > >
          > > > And so what ever i try to sample is just distortion, from the
          heavily
          > > > over driven signal.
          > >
          > > Can you hear anything of the original signal?
          > >
          > > > What should i do to fix this problem..... Or is it throw in Mr
          > bin time?
          > >
          > > Well I wouldn't bin it, especially if it plays back samples ok.
          > > Actually sampling on these things isn't that great anyway;
          transferring
          > > them from a PC via MIDI is slow but can be a lot easier if you're a
          > > patient sort.
          > >
          > > Daft as it might sound, if you could post a short sample of the noises
          > > you get it might help identify the problem. The fact that most of the
          > > sampler seems to work OK suggests that it's a pretty simple thing,
          > > possibly one of the op-amps in the input circuit misbehaving.
          > >
          > > Gordon

        • Scott Nordlund
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8 12:00 PM
            I don't see what fuses could possibly have to do with anything. The service manuals are really only a guide to swapping out boards and have little to do with actual troubleshooting- not particularly helpful to your situation. Your problem can be narrowed down to a pretty small area- the input buffering and filtering stages before the ADC. I haven't looked at the schematics in a long time (and anyway the ones I have are for the original EPS), but it's nothing particularly complicated. You'll probably need schematics to get anywhere (the only other way I can see to figure out what part of the circuit to look at would be to remove the board and follow the traces on both sides while checking datasheets and pinouts... probably not something you want to be doing), and some way to trace the input signal (An oscilloscope would be nice, but if you're lacking that, you can make some sort of "audio probe" that will enable you to listen to specific points in the circuit.). Press the Sample button the EPS, input a simple signal (sine wave or something) and probe along the signal path from the input to the ADC to find roughly where the distortion is introduced. The chips are probably aren't socketed, so replacement won't be much fun, if the parts are even still available. If that's too much for you, just sample on the computer and don't worry about it. It's very likely something that can be fixed, but it's also very likely not worth the trouble unless you do this for a living and already have everything you need on hand.

            To: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com
            From: alphahero_1981@...
            Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 22:58:14 +0000
            Subject: [Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16] Re: Sample input problem..