EPS 16+ "Ground Zero"

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      OK, I've just joined, looked through the Files and Links (many are
      broken) sections, scanned the messages and all that for a FAQ or a
      beginner's info file but came up short.

      Here's the situation: I've just been given a naked EPS 16+. No
      manuals, no disks, no pedals ... plus, I'm mainly a guitarist (don't
      groan!) and don't know of anything about Ensoniq or any Ensoniq
      players in my area. I am interested in learning to play this thing,
      if I can get it working.

      So, is anyone willing to give me the "bootstrap" info as to what I
      need and how/where to get it to make this a working instrument?

      I see Route66 sells paper manuals (what's the Rack Version as opposed
      to the Keyboard version?) which I'm intending to get. Are there any
      EPS 16+ PDFs floating around online anywhere to get a head start?

      I infer that I need:

      1. OS Disk
      2. Instrument Disks
      3. Special Disk Formatter (Are EPS disks that non-PC-standard?)
      4. "Old" 1.4 inch floppies (Where to get these?)

      It appears that the Files Section here has the software.

      What else?

      What type of pedals/switches are needed and are there any specific
      recommendations from you EPS folks?

      What else should I be needing? Already have the guitar amp. Any
      problems running this into a second channel or is a special keyboard
      amp really required?

      Sorry to bother you all with such neophyte questions but I would like
      to get this thing playable!

      Thanks very much in advance ...

      ron
    • Garth Hjelte
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        At 09:24 PM 2/1/2006 +0000, you wrote:

        >Here's the situation: I've just been given a naked EPS 16+.

        Yipes!

        >So, is anyone willing to give me the "bootstrap" info as to what I
        >need and how/where to get it to make this a working instrument?
        >
        >I see Route66 sells paper manuals (what's the Rack Version as opposed
        >to the Keyboard version?) which I'm intending to get. Are there any
        >EPS 16+ PDFs floating around online anywhere to get a head start?
        >
        >I infer that I need:
        >
        >1. OS Disk

        You can get this at www.ensoniqsamplers.org - there are hoops to jump
        through but you can do it.

        >2. Instrument Disks

        Right, these would be what you'd load sounds from. My site has some disk
        images that you can write to floppy using EPSDisk (DOS program) or Ensoniq
        Disk Extractor (DOS also). These don't work in XP, but if you boot up your
        computer using a Win98 Boot Disk (see www.ensoniqsamplers.org) they can be
        used.

        BTW, I'm working on a Windows-native XP utility that will do all this, this
        is way too hard. =)

        >3. Special Disk Formatter (Are EPS disks that non-PC-standard?)

        Yep.

        >4. "Old" 1.4 inch floppies (Where to get these?)

        These are actually DS/DD floppies, as opposed to DS/HD which are
        everywhere. Stores don't really sell DS/DD's anymore.

        if you can find a used computer shop, they may have some. SamplerZone sells
        them, .39 apiece.

        http://www.samplerzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=149

        >What type of pedals/switches are needed and are there any specific
        >recommendations from you EPS folks?

        Just make sure they are Ensoniq polarity or switchable. I recommend a
        M-Audio sustain pedal with switchable polarity.

        >What else should I be needing? Already have the guitar amp. Any problems
        >running this into a second channel or is a special keyboard
        >amp really required?

        Probably, better frequency range.

        Garth Hjelte
        Sampler User
      • janoch23
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          First you need to get an OS disk. The best way is probably to get an
          old DD floppy, failing that a HD floppy and cover the HD hole with
          tape. Then use a disk image writing program to transfer the OS 1.30 to
          the floppy. You can find it on many places on the net, one is
          http://www.samplemanage.com/kb/eps-asr/026.html

          If you somehow can't write floppy images, you can buy one from
          http://www.syntaur.com/asr-os.html

          Then you need a manual. For starters, you can use the ASR-10 manual
          from the Files section of this group. The ASR-10 is mainly a superset
          of the EPS16+. However, it is probably better to have the real EPS16+
          manual.

          The Rack version is just that, a keyboardless "expander" type module
          containing everything that the EPS16+ keyboard does, except the
          keyboard, and meant for mounting in a standard 19" rack. IIRC it's the
          same manual.

          EPS disks are non-PC formatted. You need a special program if you
          intend to manipulate EPS16+ disks from your PC. If you want it for
          free, you have to (?) use DOS or Win95-98-me. There are also
          commercial Windows programs (such as Translator), as well as
          commercial DOS programs (Giebler EDM). How to use any of these is
          another message (unless you know DOS already)...

          For instrument disks you could try Ensoniq Samplebase. www.esqbase.de

          You certainly don't want 1.4" floppies, but 3 1/2" ones :) The EPS16+
          only really likes DD disks (720 kb) which are very hard to find these
          days. HD (normal 1.44 MB) disks with the HD hole covered kind of
          works, but it's not a good long-term solution, as the HD's magnetic
          surface is not totally compatible with the DD standard.

          If you are serious about the instrument you need a SCSI harddrive.
          Unfortunately SCSI was sold as separate kits for the EPS16+ and these
          are expensive and rare. You might find some on www.chickensys.com,
          route66 or syntaur. Then there's the problem with getting small enough
          SCSI drives with 25-pin connector, and ones that the EPS16+ does
          tolerate... And preferably one that's still working (they are old as
          hell)...

          You might have SCSI on your EPS16+ already, though. IIRC the manual
          tells you how to check for it.

          You don't really need any pedals. If you have switch pedals for guitar
          effects they might work, and if so they can be used as sustain pedals
          or some other duties. You can also hook up some expression pedals.

          You don't need a keyboard amp either, although guitar amps are
          generally designed for guitar and will have poor frequency response
          and be mono only. To hear the difference, just listen through
          headphones instead (directly from the EPS16+). The EPS16+ output is
          line level which is much hotter than a guitar signal, and could plug
          directly into a home stereo "tape in" or similiar.

          Good luck!
          /J

          --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <rje7812@...> wrote:
          > So, is anyone willing to give me the "bootstrap" info as to what I
          > need and how/where to get it to make this a working instrument?
          > I see Route66 sells paper manuals (what's the Rack Version as opposed
          > to the Keyboard version?) which I'm intending to get. Are there any
          > EPS 16+ PDFs floating around online anywhere to get a head start?
          > I infer that I need:
          > 1. OS Disk
          > 2. Instrument Disks
          > 3. Special Disk Formatter (Are EPS disks that non-PC-standard?)
          > 4. "Old" 1.4 inch floppies (Where to get these?)
          > It appears that the Files Section here has the software.
          > What else?
          > What type of pedals/switches are needed and are there any specific
          > recommendations from you EPS folks?
          > What else should I be needing? Already have the guitar amp. Any
          > problems running this into a second channel or is a special keyboard
          > amp really required?
          > Sorry to bother you all with such neophyte questions but I would like
          > to get this thing playable!
          > Thanks very much in advance ...
          > ron
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
            Hi Garth!

            Thank you for your posting and your insights. This is a lot of good
            info to get me started. I look forward to taking this on and getting
            it working.

            Thanks very much ...

            Ron

            PS - Good luck with the Win/XP Utility! I can't help much there but
            if you are into Visual Basic, there is a site that has a lot of VB
            utilities, complete with source code. You might be able to glean
            something on some techniques there: www.karenware.com. If you have
            to get into assembler to drive the disk format/read/write
            capabilities, well, ugghh! ... I wish I could help more. There
            might be some newsgroups somewhere that could help. Thanks for your
            efforts.

            --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hjelte <garth@...>
            wrote:

            <deleted for brevity>
          • Ron
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
              Hi "janoch23" !

              And thank you too for your very detailled, thorough posting and your
              insights.

              Between Garth and you, I should be able to pull this off and get
              it working. More notes inline below.

              Thanks very much ...

              Ron

              --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, "janoch23" <phlough@...>
              wrote:

              > You certainly don't want 1.4" floppies, but 3 1/2" ones :)

              Ugghh, failure between brain & keyboard here 8-( ... was thinking
              1.4MB, not inches, of course. But had that backwards too! Was
              really trying to say what you did. Got to find 720KB DD disks if
              possible.

              > The EPS16+
              > only really likes DD disks (720 kb) which are very hard to find
              these
              > days. HD (normal 1.44 MB) disks with the HD hole covered kind of
              > works, but it's not a good long-term solution, as the HD's magnetic
              > surface is not totally compatible with the DD standard.
              >
              > If you are serious about the instrument you need a SCSI harddrive.
              > Unfortunately SCSI was sold as separate kits for the EPS16+ and
              these
              > are expensive and rare. You might find some on www.chickensys.com,
              > route66 or syntaur. Then there's the problem with getting small
              enough
              > SCSI drives with 25-pin connector, and ones that the EPS16+ does
              > tolerate... And preferably one that's still working (they are old as
              > hell)...
              >
              > You might have SCSI on your EPS16+ already, though. IIRC the manual
              > tells you how to check for it.

              Very good, thanks. Will try to find out. I assume that the SCSI HD
              allows all the OS & Instrument software to loaded once and then be
              accessible from the HD rather than having to load from FDs all the
              time(?).

              > You don't really need any pedals. If you have switch pedals for
              guitar
              > effects they might work, and if so they can be used as sustain
              pedals
              > or some other duties. You can also hook up some expression pedals.
              >
              > You don't need a keyboard amp either, although guitar amps are
              > generally designed for guitar and will have poor frequency response
              > and be mono only. To hear the difference, just listen through
              > headphones instead (directly from the EPS16+). The EPS16+ output is
              > line level which is much hotter than a guitar signal, and could plug
              > directly into a home stereo "tape in" or similiar.
              >
              > Good luck!
              > /J

              More great advice, thanks for taking the time and effort to post all
              of this!

              Ron
            • janoch23
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
                >Got to find 720KB DD disks if
                > possible.

                ...and if you find them cheap, be sure to tell us about it. Wait, tell
                me offlist before you tell the others *evil grin* :-)

                The thing with converted HD disks used in DD drives is, if you haven't
                read about it already, that they slowly loose their electrical charge
                and become unreadable. Might take years, might take months. So it's a
                short-term fix.

                > I assume that the SCSI HD
                > allows all the OS & Instrument software to loaded once and then be
                > accessible from the HD rather than having to load from FDs all the
                > time(?).

                Yes, but you might still want an OS floppy for some stuff. In their
                eternal wisdom, Ensoniq decided that if you boot from SCSI they
                disable the formatting function, so you won't accidentally delete your
                files! If you have a compatible SCSI adapter in your PC you'll be much
                better off, and you'll also be able to back up your sounds. (read
                "sleep at night")

                Anyway, a SCSI HD means you can get the machine up and loaded in
                seconds instead of minutes, and not have to worry about wierd cries
                and chugachugachuga coming from the floppy drive.

                However you can definetly try out the EPS16+ without SCSI, to see if
                you think it's worth the cost.

                It's really a chore to use SCSI with Ensoniq samplers these days,
                since SCSI has pretty much disappeared, and Ensoniqs SCSI
                implementations were quite picky about stuff.

                /J
              • Ron
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2006
                  > ...and if you find them cheap, be sure to tell us about it. Wait,
                  tell
                  > me offlist before you tell the others *evil grin* :-)

                  righto! ;-)

                  > The thing with converted HD disks used in DD drives is, if you
                  haven't
                  > read about it already, that they slowly loose their electrical
                  charge
                  > and become unreadable. Might take years, might take months. So it's
                  > short-term fix.

                  Yes, I'm getting the message on that. Best to find the DD Disks,
                  Thanks!

                  > Yes, but you might still want an OS floppy for some stuff. In their
                  > eternal wisdom, Ensoniq decided that if you boot from SCSI they
                  > disable the formatting function, so you won't accidentally delete
                  your
                  > files! If you have a compatible SCSI adapter in your PC you'll be
                  much
                  > better off, and you'll also be able to back up your sounds. (read
                  > "sleep at night")

                  No PC SCSI here ... I'll be floppy based for the foreseeable future.

                  > Anyway, a SCSI HD means you can get the machine up and loaded in
                  > seconds instead of minutes, and not have to worry about wierd cries
                  > and chugachugachuga coming from the floppy drive.

                  Right ... will probably hold off on that until I at least get it up &
                  running.

                  > However you can definetly try out the EPS16+ without SCSI, to see if
                  > you think it's worth the cost.

                  Will do.

                  > It's really a chore to use SCSI with Ensoniq samplers these days,
                  > since SCSI has pretty much disappeared, and Ensoniqs SCSI
                  > implementations were quite picky about stuff.

                  Sounds almost more trouble than it's worth ... since it really won't
                  be my primary instrument, it's more of a curiosity item at the moment
                  so that I can learn keyboards and if the floppies will work, then
                  that should hold me for quite a while.

                  > /J

                  Thanks again!

                  -rje