Time for new module?
- I am a long time user of Ensoniq stuff and I was hoping to get
some advice from the list on whats new in playback modules.
I have done a ton of work sampling for my Mirage/EPS/EPS16/TS10.
Of course, these are a bit on the obsolete side now, but I still love the
sounds and the keyboards still work (well, the Mirage is gone and
the EPS16 keyboard is a little flaky), but I just don't use them much
anymore for performance purposes. I am mainly a bass player and I use
midi pedals for drones and sequences, but I would like to use my Ensoniq
samples; however, loading stuff from disk drives (floppy or zip, either way)
just isn't very road-durable and I really would prefer a module for
sake. I've thought about buying an old ASRX but I want to get away from
disk storage if possible.
So, I want to try to find a sample playback module that:
1. RCS's Translator program works very well with in translating
EPS samples (loops, etc) to it...
2. Has some form of removable storage like Smartmedia cards,
USB sticks, or something like that with immediate load times.
3. Is a module, smaller the better (doesn't have to be rackmount)
4. Has built in effects, although compatibility with existing
EPS effects patches not so important;
5. Has a built in sequencer (nice, but not essential); I guess I could
get an external sequence and run my midi pedals thru the sequencer
into the module;
6. Has patch selection/assignment ability much like the EPS/ASR...where you
press one of several available buttons and that patch is immediately loaded.
I often have only a second between songs to switch patches and I don't have
time to scroll through countless tiny LCD windows.
Things like memory or polyphany are not really important to me,
since the EPS had so little memory anyway and I am not using
more than one or two notes at a time with my pedals.