Re: FB-2, expanding the memory

  • janoch23
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
      FWIW, personally, I think a multi-Flash board would be much better,
      as it would allow me to switch between OS 1.19 and 1.30 (which have
      slightly different uses). I do realize that the available instruments
      would change as well, but that wouldn't be a problem to me. My main
      use for the Flash device would be live situations where you don't
      want a cumbersome and unreliable old SCSI device and simply to boot
      up with my most used drumkits available (also a use for different
      Flashes), so the problems involved are o.k. to me.

      I was also thinking that perhaps it would be possible to use battery-
      backed RAM instead of Flash (I haven't looked into the workings of
      Flash or how they are accessed so I realized this may be totally
      crazy)? RAM seems more readily available and can stand more rewrite
      cycles.

      What do you other people on the list think?
    • portscan
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2004
        anyone knows the flash boards EMU sells for its modules?
        16 and 32 mo simms, for the samplers and modules
        must be too hard to take it and build a board to install it into an eps or
        an asr, but its components may be interesting for someone who wants to build
        a flash board for his ensoniq sampler
        ???

        > FWIW, personally, I think a multi-Flash board would be much better,
        > as it would allow me to switch between OS 1.19 and 1.30 (which have
        > slightly different uses). I do realize that the available instruments
        > would change as well, but that wouldn't be a problem to me. My main
        > use for the Flash device would be live situations where you don't
        > want a cumbersome and unreliable old SCSI device and simply to boot
        > up with my most used drumkits available (also a use for different
        > Flashes), so the problems involved are o.k. to me.
        >
        > I was also thinking that perhaps it would be possible to use battery-
        > backed RAM instead of Flash (I haven't looked into the workings of
        > Flash or how they are accessed so I realized this may be totally
        > crazy)? RAM seems more readily available and can stand more rewrite
        > cycles.
        >
        > What do you other people on the list think?
        >

        > *** Community for Ensoniq EPS Classic, EPS16+, ASR10, ASR88 users ***
        >
        > Newbies ...
        > search the Message Archives at this link before posting:
        > Homepage:
        > Links (all members can contribute):
        >
        > Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • djbrow54
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 27, 2004
          I'd be interested in one or two boards. I have a stash of the PLCC
          version of the flash but am less than thrilled of either designing a
          board or hand wiring one.

          Does this board require new PROMs? I've seen some documentation where
          it looks like you need to replace some.

          Where does the board mount?

          Thanks. - Dave

          --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@yahoogroups.com, Steve Williams
          <daemonphi@g...> wrote:
          > Yes its a real project, It is my own design - consists simply of a
          > circuit board, mounting hardware, and cable, and I provide a full
          one
          > year warranty. I take pride in my circuit designs, and my product
          quality.

          > I have a few prototypes finalized already they work flawlessly, I
          have
          > been testing them in both rack and keyboard versions of the EPS-16.
          > plan to finish a short initial production run within a couple weeks
          or
          > three.
          >
          > I haven't gotten that many emails expressing interest yet, so I may
          end
          > up just doing the one run.
          >
          > The price is still approximate and may change by the time I am done
          > depending on what the costs come to, and how many I will end up
          doing.
          > When they are ready to ship I will respond with details to those who
          > have inquired via email.
          >
          > Thanks for expressing your interest.
          >
          > - Steve
        • J. Landman
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2004
            I would also be interested in a upgraded motherboard. Where can i get more info?

            Joost

            <daemonphi@g...> wrote:
            > Yes its a real project, It is my own design - consists simply of a
            > circuit board, mounting hardware, and cable, and I provide a full
            one
            > year warranty. I take pride in my circuit designs, and my product
            quality.

            > I have a few prototypes finalized already they work flawlessly, I
            have
            > been testing them in both rack and keyboard versions of the EPS-16.
            > plan to finish a short initial production run within a couple weeks
            or
            > three.
            >
            > I haven't gotten that many emails expressing interest yet, so I may
            end
            > up just doing the one run.
            >
            > The price is still approximate and may change by the time I am done
            > depending on what the costs come to, and how many I will end up
            doing.
            > When they are ready to ship I will respond with details to those who
            > have inquired via email.
            >
            > Thanks for expressing your interest.
            >
            > - Steve

            *** Community for Ensoniq EPS Classic, EPS16+, ASR10, ASR88 users ***

            Newbies ...
            search the Message Archives at this link before posting:
            Homepage:

            Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Matt Sauer
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 12, 2004
              I'm interested in the flash option. Is there a web site or someone to e-mail?

              Matt

            • mygroup@charter.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 12, 2004
                Sauer. Hmm. Interesting, yet odd name. I wonder if you are of relation to our Sauer. Had to mention it. Shoot me an e-mail off-line.

                Yes, I'm an EPS owner X 2

                Ha ha!

                <daemonphi@g...> wrote:
                > Yes its a real project, It is my own design - consists simply of a
                > circuit board, mounting hardware, and cable, and I provide a full
                one
                > year warranty. I take pride in my circuit designs, and my product
                quality.

                > I have a few prototypes finalized already they work flawlessly, I
                have
                > been testing them in both rack and keyboard versions of the EPS-16.
                > plan to finish a short initial production run within a couple weeks
                or
                > three.
                >
                > I haven't gotten that many emails expressing interest yet, so I may
                end
                > up just doing the one run.
                >
                > The price is still approximate and may change by the time I am done
                > depending on what the costs come to, and how many I will end up
                doing.
                > When they are ready to ship I will respond with details to those who
                > have inquired via email.
                >
                > Thanks for expressing your interest.
                >
                > - Steve

                *** Community for Ensoniq EPS Classic, EPS16+, ASR10, ASR88 users ***

                Newbies ...
                search the Message Archives at this link before posting:
                Homepage:

                Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                *** Community for Ensoniq EPS Classic, EPS16+, ASR10, ASR88 users ***

                Newbies ...
                search the Message Archives at this link before posting:
                Homepage:

                Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                *** Community for Ensoniq EPS Classic, EPS16+, ASR10, ASR88 users ***

                Newbies ...
                search the Message Archives at this link before posting:
                Homepage:

                Subscribe: Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Steve Williams
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 13, 2004
                  Hi Dave, Just to answer your questions;

                  It doesnt require new proms. Its just a small circuit board similar to
                  the SCSI option. In the rack version of the EPS16 there are mounts on
                  the sides you can use, or in the keyboard version I have it so it mounts
                  on the back of the display/keypad assembly.

                  Its easiest if those who want one just mail me directly off-list.
                  Thanks

                  - Steve