help: broken asr

  • henry_io@gmx.ch
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2001
      hi everybody

      i'm desperate... my asr-10 (19", 16mb, no digital I/O) is ill: the
      output signal has a serious problem when playing back samples @
      44.1kHz.. there are all sorts of pops, crackles and noise artifacts
      (sounds a bit like heavy aliasing..) the higher i play a sound the
      more this problem becomes obvious. also the pitch seems to be a
      little off - like the system has trouble holding on to a constant
      sample rate.... very strange... playback @ 32kHz is totally fine
      though... the problem occurs on every output channel and on the
      headphones output as well. several reboots (with and without SCSI)
      didn't change anything.

      i guess the problem lies within the d/a converter.. anyone
      encountered a similar problem? any suggestions for a cure? can the
      d/a converter be replaced with reasonable effort?
      help would be greatly appreciated!

      thx
      henry
    • Rohan Mansell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2001
        > hi everybody
        >
        > i'm desperate... my asr-10 (19", 16mb, no digital I/O) is ill: the
        > output signal has a serious problem when playing back samples @
        > 44.1kHz.. there are all sorts of pops, crackles and noise artifacts
        > (sounds a bit like heavy aliasing..) the higher i play a sound the
        > more this problem becomes obvious. also the pitch seems to be a
        > little off - like the system has trouble holding on to a constant
        > sample rate.... very strange... playback @ 32kHz is totally fine
        > though... the problem occurs on every output channel and on the
        > headphones output as well. several reboots (with and without SCSI)
        > didn't change anything.
        >
        > i guess the problem lies within the d/a converter.. anyone
        > encountered a similar problem? any suggestions for a cure? can the
        > d/a converter be replaced with reasonable effort?
        > help would be greatly appreciated!

        If the DA convertor in these machines works at one sample rate then
        it would be capable in theory of running at all sample rates.

        Has your machine recently been expanded to 16 meg ?

        This kind of problem used to happen on some machines when the RAM had
        become faulty, loose in it's sockets or was of the incorrect type or
        mix combination.

        From what you've described I don't feel that your D/A convertor is
        failing.

        Does the unit exhibit a problem with the FX enabled our disabled ?

        Let us all know.

        L8R4NOW.

        Rohan.
      • henry_io@gmx.ch
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2001
          the problem seems not to be related to the fx though. no problems
          @32kHz and the usual crackling and popping at 44.1kHz.. some fx make
          it even worse, like reverb...

          i recently bought this machine second hand. it could very well be
          that there's a problem with the memory. i'll check with that and give
          feedback asap.

          thanks!
          henry

          --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@y..., "Rohan Mansell" <rohan_mansell@h...>
          wrote:

          > > hi everybody
          > >
          > > i'm desperate... my asr-10 (19", 16mb, no digital I/O) is ill:
          the
          > > output signal has a serious problem when playing back samples @
          > > 44.1kHz.. there are all sorts of pops, crackles and noise
          artifacts
          > > (sounds a bit like heavy aliasing..) the higher i play a sound
          the
          > > more this problem becomes obvious. also the pitch seems to be a
          > > little off - like the system has trouble holding on to a constant
          > > sample rate.... very strange... playback @ 32kHz is totally fine
          > > though... the problem occurs on every output channel and on the
          > > headphones output as well. several reboots (with and without
          SCSI)
          > > didn't change anything.
          > >
          > > i guess the problem lies within the d/a converter.. anyone
          > > encountered a similar problem? any suggestions for a cure? can
          the
          > > d/a converter be replaced with reasonable effort?
          > > help would be greatly appreciated!
          >
          > If the DA convertor in these machines works at one sample rate then
          > it would be capable in theory of running at all sample rates.
          >
          > Has your machine recently been expanded to 16 meg ?
          >
          > This kind of problem used to happen on some machines when the RAM
          had
          > become faulty, loose in it's sockets or was of the incorrect type
          or
          > mix combination.
          >
          > From what you've described I don't feel that your D/A convertor is
          > failing.
          >
          > Does the unit exhibit a problem with the FX enabled our disabled ?
          >
          > Let us all know.
          >
          > L8R4NOW.
          >
          > Rohan.
        • Rohan Mansell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2001
            --- In Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16@y..., henry_io@g... wrote:

            > the problem seems not to be related to the fx though. no problems
            > @32kHz and the usual crackling and popping at 44.1kHz.. some fx
            make
            > it even worse, like reverb...
            >
            > i recently bought this machine second hand. it could very well be
            > that there's a problem with the memory. i'll check with that and
            give
            > feedback asap.
            >
            > thanks!
            > henry

            Hiya Henry,

            Good move on checking the RAM. If we can isolate the problem to being
            RAM related then the fix will be cheap.
            Is your ASR10 one with the Blue Flouro display ? or the backlit LCD
            display ?
            If you inspect the area where you insert the RAM chips you'll notice
            some "jumpers" on the circuit board.

            Can you describe these "jumpers" and how they are labled ?

            L8R4NOW.

            Rohan.
          • Jase From Outta Space
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 19, 2001
              >Hiya Henry,
              >
              >Good move on checking the RAM. If we can isolate the problem to being
              >RAM related then the fix will be cheap.

              Further to what Rohan said ....

              If the RAM is easily accessed in the rack maybe removing the additional
              SIMMS and running the unit with it's standard 2Mb to see if the crackling
              problems disappear would be a good idea.

              Crackling problems are often traceable back to RAM issues I've noticed -
              this came up in discussion on a Yamaha A3000 discussion group recently.

              Just a suggestion.
              (naturally I'd be careful opening the unit and observe all normal antistatic
              precautions).

              >Is your ASR10 one with the Blue Flouro display ? or the backlit LCD
              >display ?

              I didn't know there was a series of ASR10's manufactured with backlit
              display LCD displays BTW ...

              Best Regards,
              jASeFOs
              www.jasefromouttaspace.com

            • Rohan Mansell
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2001
                > >Is your ASR10 one with the Blue Flouro display ? or the backlit LCD
                > >display ?
                >
                > I didn't know there was a series of ASR10's manufactured with
                backlit
                > display LCD displays BTW ...

                Models manufactured in the last approx 1 to 2 years had backlit LCD
                displays instead of the more classic custom VFD Flouro types seen in
                most units.

                This is a quick way of telling which mainboard revision is in the
                unit and can be a quick indicator of RAM slot block "jumper"
                positions without having to open the unit.

                IE: Models with the backlit LCD display are in 99.9% of cases shipped
                with the latest revision mainboard.

                I don't have the service manual and circuit diagrams here at work
                with me right now so I can't easily explain the RAM block "jumper"
                position layout differences between ASR10 mainboards off the top of
                my head.

                I'll be back to this list on Friday with more info.

                L8R4NOW.

                Rohan.
              • henry_io@gmx.ch
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2001
                  i fixed it!!! but i have no clue as to how i did it.... ;) i checked
                  the memory yesterday, the simms were properly seated in their slots
                  and all four modules were of the same brand and had no parity. i then
                  removed all the memory and gradually tried with different
                  configurations and jumper settings. first i tried with jumper set
                  to 'standard' and no simms in the slots, but the asr didn't even
                  boot... i also tried every jumper combination - to no success...
                  isn't the asr fitted with 2 megs on-board?? anyway, then i tried
                  2x4mb which worked fine and afterwards with all 4 simms and jumper
                  back on "expanded", EXACTLY like it was before... and it worked like
                  a charm... voodoo!

                  i love my asr more than ever though - it really behaves like a living
                  organism sometimes - like it's having its own will and all... it just
                  needs a little love and affection to show you its sexy sides ;)

                  thank you very much for your help!

                  wrote:
                  > > >Is your ASR10 one with the Blue Flouro display ? or the backlit
                  LCD
                  > > >display ?
                  > >
                  > > I didn't know there was a series of ASR10's manufactured with
                  > backlit
                  > > display LCD displays BTW ...
                  >
                  > Models manufactured in the last approx 1 to 2 years had backlit LCD
                  > displays instead of the more classic custom VFD Flouro types seen
                  in
                  > most units.
                  >
                  > This is a quick way of telling which mainboard revision is in the
                  > unit and can be a quick indicator of RAM slot block "jumper"
                  > positions without having to open the unit.
                  >
                  > IE: Models with the backlit LCD display are in 99.9% of cases
                  shipped
                  > with the latest revision mainboard.
                  >
                  > I don't have the service manual and circuit diagrams here at work
                  > with me right now so I can't easily explain the RAM block "jumper"
                  > position layout differences between ASR10 mainboards off the top of
                  > my head.
                  >
                  > I'll be back to this list on Friday with more info.
                  >
                  > L8R4NOW.
                  >
                  > Rohan.
                • Rohan Mansell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 22, 2001
                    > i fixed it!!! but i have no clue as to how i did it.... ;) i
                    checked
                    > the memory yesterday, the simms were properly seated in their slots
                    > and all four modules were of the same brand and had no parity.

                    So the ingredients were correct ! :)
                    ...maybe though ...

                    > i then
                    > removed all the memory and gradually tried with different
                    > configurations and jumper settings. first i tried with jumper set
                    > to 'standard' and no simms in the slots, but the asr didn't even
                    > boot... i also tried every jumper combination - to no success...
                    > isn't the asr fitted with 2 megs on-board??

                    No ... in it's original format the ASR10 had 2 meg of RAM on 2 x 1
                    meg sticks installed at the factory.
                    There is no RAM on the board when the slots are empty.

                    >anyway, then i tried
                    > 2x4mb which worked fine and afterwards with all 4 simms and jumper
                    > back on "expanded", EXACTLY like it was before... and it worked
                    like
                    > a charm... voodoo!

                    Probably not voodoo, because you need fires, dolls, prayers and pins
                    for that :O
                    ...with Ensoniq, more like, ahhhm , black magic ! :)

                    What looks like had happened is that your RAM although apparently
                    seated correctly in it's sockets, wasn't in it's sockets correctly as
                    you first thought.
                    Your pulling, pushing and prodding around re-settled things.

                    > i love my asr more than ever though - it really behaves like a
                    living
                    > organism sometimes - like it's having its own will and all... it
                    just
                    > needs a little love and affection to show you its sexy sides ;)

                    Yeh, they are pretty good :)

                    > thank you very much for your help!
                    > henry

                    Thanks for hang'n in this group.