Fw: English

  • Shahram Taheri
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

      object - verb / noun

      Definition

      to show that one does not like or approve; to protest; n. something not alive that can be seen or touched

      Example Sentences

      He objected to his use of profane language during the case.
      The object of this lesson is to never forget your dictionary!

      SHAHRAM

      New Email names for you!
      Hurry before someone else does!

    • Shahram Taheri
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

        Had better, Ought to, Should

        "Had better", "ought to" and "should" are all ways of giving advice.

        Example Sentences

        I think he had better hurry up and finish the questions.
        They ought to spend more time with their children.

        SHAHRAM

        Get your new Email address!

      • Shahram Taheri
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

          Wish + Past Perfect

          The use of the verb "wish" in the past is followed by the past perfect similar to the third conditional.

          Example Sentences

          She wishes she had studied harder for the test.
          I wish I known about the problem. had

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

            Reported Speech with "Will"

            "Will" becomes "would" in reported speech.

            Example Sentences

            He said he would be able to attend the conference.
            Paris said she would not speak to the reporters.

            SHAHRAM

            Get your preferred Email name!
            Now you can @... and @....

          • Shahram Taheri
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

              Modifying Strong Adjectives

              Strong adjectives require a different modifier other than "very".

              Example Sentences

              She's extremely beautiful!
              Her ideas are absolutely shocking!

              SHAHRAM

              New Email addresses available on Yahoo!

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 9, 2010

                wound - verb / noun

                Definition

                to injure; to hurt; to cause physical damage to a person or animal; n. an injury to the body of a human or animal in which the skin is usually cut or broken

                Example Sentences

                The hunter wounded the deer, but failed to capture it.
                You need to put a bandage on that wound immediately.     SHAHRAM

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                  This lesson focuses on idioms and verbs used to describe different types of thinking processes. Remember that progressive forms (continuous forms) of the verb require an action verb. For example: She was jogging in the park when ..., I'm developing a new product for my company. When speaking about our opinions, or what we feel, use simple tenses. For example: I think we should ... , It smells funny in the kitchen. There are two action verb exercises and two thinking verb exercises. Each exercise contains a definition page and a quiz page. Finally, there are four pages of exercises focusing on idims of movement

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                    The  unit introduces the present progressive, important adjectives and prepositions. We use the present progressive to talk about what we are doing at the moment. Adjectives describe a noun - Example: a big man. Prepositions are used to describe position and relationships - Example: I live in Italy, He works at an office, etc.The unit finishes with some listening exercises. Listen to people giving basic personal information such as their names, addresses, telephone numbers, etc

                    !

                  • Shahram Taheri
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                      Use the past simple to talk about activities or routines which take place at a specified time in the past. Notice that all subjects take the same conjugation of the verb. Regular verbs end in '-ed'.

                      visit - visited
                      enjoy - enjoyed

                      Irregular verbs have various forms and each verb needs to be learned.

                      see - saw
                      think - thought

                      The past simple is used to express a finished past action which occurs at a specific moment in the past.

                      Examples

                      She visited Iran last month.
                      They didn't go to Tom's party last weekend.
                      Where did you go on vacation last summer?

                      The following time signifiers often indicate a specific point in time.

                      last
                      ago
                      in ... (plus a year or month)
                      yesterday
                      when ... (plus a phrase)

                      Examples

                      They had lunch at home last week.
                      He left the company many years ago.
                      Susan bought a new car in May.
                      He telephoned his friend in Rome yesterday.
                      I played golf when I was a teenager.

                      Positive Form

                      Subject + past form of verb + object(s) + time

                      Examples

                      They flew to Chicago last month.
                      Peter completed his course three weeks ago.

                      Negative Form

                      Subject + did + not + base form of verb + object(s) + (time)

                      Examples

                      They didn't expect to see you at Christmas.
                      She didn't understand the question.

                      Question Form

                      (Wh?) + did + subject + base form of verb + (object(s))+ (time)?

                      Examples

                      Where did you study French?
                      When did you arrive last week?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                        The Verb "to Mind"

                        The verb "mind" is followed by the gerund - ing - form of the verb.

                        Example Sentences

                        He doesn't mind working late.
                        Would you mind giving me a hand?

                      • Shahram Taheri
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                          sympathy - noun

                          Definition

                          a sharing of feelings or emotions with another person, usually feelings of sadness

                          Example Sentences

                          I felt a great deal of sympathy for his difficult position.
                          She expressed her sympathy at our loss.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 4, 2010

                            cooperate - verb -

                            Definition

                            to act or work together

                            Example Sentences

                            Let's cooperate and get this work done quickly.
                            She agreed to cooperate with the police to help catch the criminal.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 10, 2010

                              Collocation Use with Save, Find and Go

                              Choose which one of the following three verbs goes with the expressions listed below

                              Save Find Go
                              time

                              a partner

                              mad

                              wild

                              time

                              money

                              the answer

                              crazy

                              someone's life

                              energy

                              happiness

                              white

                              abroad

                              the money

                              someone a seat

                              oneself trouble

                              a solution

                              missing

                              quiet

                              electricity

                              space

                              one's strength

                              a way

                              bad

                              space

                              dark

                              a replacement

                              a cure

                              a penalty

                              overseas

                            • Shahram Taheri
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 29, 2010

                                Gerund and Preposition Use Quiz

                                Complete the sentences by using a preposition and the words in parentheses. Remember that verbs should be put into the gerund form as they follow a preposition.

                                1. Jack decided on chicken instead  (order/steak).
                                2. I'm interested  (watch/film) by Alfred Hitchcock.
                                3. He apologized  (be/late).
                                4. I certainly can't blame you  (not/want) to come.
                                5. She's thinking  (study/England).
                                6. We are really very excited  (hike/Andes) this coming summer.
                                7. Katherine isn't really used  (walk/work).
                                8. We thanked them  (drive/us/home) after the football game.
                                9. Could you please tell me who is responsible (accept/applications)?
                                10. I'm sure she has a good reason  (not/be/here).