Re: [E4P] Inviting to write: The second topic

  • Mitra Rafiei
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2008

      From: Lena Soltani <lena_soltani@...>
      To: english4persians@yahoogroups.com; BelajarEnglish@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 7:58:54 PM
      Subject: [E4P] Inviting to write: The second topic

      Hi all dear friends

      As you know, we sent some emails about the first topic, and some friends corrected some of our emails as a favour (or made us favour, I’m not sure about this one) and ('and' should be omitted because you used another one in previous sentence) we thank them very much because I think we learned so much. (However no one did correct  mine, but I won’t be disappointed and I won’t give up!!! , I will write, write, write (another suggestion: I do keep writing) even it isn’t right! )

      And now, I think it’s the time for the second subject, I invite you to write about following subject:

      “If I were Bill Bates (Gates I think! :D )... ”

      If you were bill gates (Bill Gates. never use small letters for names) and had much money, what would you do?

      Maybe you don’t believe (or like) to have such money, you can write anything you like about this topic.

      Moreover, I should mention something here, maybe subjects (if you mean this subject you must ommit 's' if you mean all the subjects which will be suggested hereafter you sould say 'maybe subjects won't be good') aren’t good in your opinion, but don’t forget that our goal just is (is just) writing.

      I’m looking forward to reading (ALWAYS 'ing form' after 'looking forward to') your nice mails again!

      Best (wishes, regards)

      Lena

      All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.
    • Rajesh Sharma
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008

        Assalam-o-Akaikum you all,

        This is Fatima Sabah from Pakistan.

        Yes once again a good and provoking topic. If I were Bill Gates I would spent all those money in building free boarding schools across my country to give my fellow countrymen a chance to enlighten their lives and came abreast with other nations of the world.  Although we are the first muslim neuclear power but its a pity that we are not much literate. I want my people competing others in every walk of life but in a positive way.  We are not terrorist as many people believe, we are very friendly and open-hearted people with lots and lots of acceptance for others people and culture.. We respect others opinions and seek respect from them ...........fateemah

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009

          Dear Ahmad,
          Thanks for your correction BUT:

          I’m looking forward to reading (ALWAYS 'ing form' after 'looking forward to') (sorry you can’t use “to” and “ing” together won’t mix and therefore read is correct) your nice mails again!
          the phrasal verb "to look forward to" MUST BE FOLLOWED by GERUND or a noun.
          It is a common mistake which is made by many peoples,
          but please notice: second "to" is part of the verb (to look forward to) and dose not belong to succeeding verb.
          so it dosen't mean you are using an infinitive (with to) after "to look forward" but it means you are using a gerand after "to look forward to" verb.

          for more information please see following link:

          In addition, a quick search in Google will show you so many examples of it

          Good Luck :)
          Mitra

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009

            Dear Mitra,

            Thank you very much for the lesson, I really appreciate what you are trying to teach us,  in this special case you are right only if you want to write a literary book or if you want to teach grammar to a MA English student in the last semester of course, but for the common English speaking person “to” can not be followed by “ing”, and by the way “It is a common mistake which is made by many peoples,” many people means people like us gathered in a group trying to learn English in an easy way in my opinion in a way an infant learn English. once more thanks for your help, you remind my of my university teacher I bet you teach English too.

            Cheers,

            Ahmad

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
              Dear Ahmad,

              This is another URL for your answer:

              Please note the answer of Alen:
              _________________
              Hi Fabrice,
              This construction: look forward to doing is the accepted form and the infinitive to hear is a well known error made by writers to whom English is a foreign/second language.
              Alan

              I have another supplemantary explanation:
              "but for the common English speaking person “to” can not be followed by “ing”, "

              This is when you are using "to" as a part of an infinitive, yes in this case you are right.
              It is nonsense to use an infinitive like "to hearing" !!!!

              But here, "to" IS NOT part of infinitive.
              It IS A PREPOSITION and as you know we use "ing form" after prepositions.

              Best Wishes
[...]

              Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA