Phillip Wiggins Will and Testament.

  • Nancy LeMasters-Bergman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19 12:51 PM
      • Phillip Wiggins Will and Testament

      •               Will of Philip Wiggins          Harrison County, Kentucky Will Book B pg. 41

          In the name of God amen, I, Philip Wiggins of Harrison County and state of Kentucky, Being weak, but of perfect mind and memory, do make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form as follows: (Court) first, I give my soul to God who gave it to me, hoping to be received into Everlasting Life. As touching my worldly affairs, I give and dispose of it in the following manner herein after mentioned, that is to say, after all my just debts and funeral expenses are paid.

            Item the first. I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Chambers forty dollars to be divided among her children. Also, to my daughter Hannah (Johannah) Williams, sixty dollars, to be divided among her children. The balance of my estate I give and dispose of to the rest of my children, that is to say Sarah Martin, Cristen (Christen) Martin, Rachel Osbourn (Osman), Drusilla Homes (Holmes), Rutha Kernes (Ruth Kearns), Elender (Eleanor) Reeves, and James H. Wiggins an equal proportion among them all my money on hand to be divided, together with the money due me when collected and the land I want sold and divided likewise and as it Respects my black man Charles I want him to have the balance of the time coming to me, as long as he behaves  well and stays in the county afsd. and I want my executors hereafter named to have oversight of him. I do appoint John Martin, John Homes (Holmes), and James H. Wiggins my executors to this my last will as witness my hand the 17th day of July, 1820.

        Witness                                                                            Philip Wiggins L.S.

        Larkin Garnett

        Thomas (x) Gipson

        Edward W. Martin

         Harrison County August Court 1820 Set. This last will and testament of Philip Wiggins, deceased was produced in open court and proved by the oath of Larkin Garnett, Thomas Gibson and Edward W. Martin, subscribing witnesses thereto and was ordered to be recorded.                               Att: W. Moore CHC

         LeMastersChild1added this on 15 Jun 2012
    • Gordon S. Harmon
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19 1:29 PM
        Interesting. This suggests to me that Phillip Wiggins was also a slave owner to wit (see RED below in the will).

        There is now an ongoing study headed up by Cousin Alvin Collins of Chicago....entitled to the effect:  Endicott Slave Owners; Indentured Servants and Freemen.

        We know of several Endicott slave owners including Thomas Endicott b. 1737 of NJ. There is a record about this for Thomas in New Jersey.

        The Spring Issue of OUR ENDICOTT HERITAGE TRAIL will have a Feature Article on this subject.

        Gordon

        To: endicott_gen@yahoogroups.com