re: Copies of Endacott & Endicott Wills from England 1600s-1800s

  • Kyle Elwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I recently acquired copies of the actual wills of the following
      Endicott-related individuals. Having copies is one thing,
      reading them is another.

      Is there anyone who knows someone who is good at reading
      16th century, 17th century and 18th century cursive writing?

      I have following wills and list what I can read:

      1] Reference: PROB 11/256/459

      The will of Henry Endacott, butcher of Chagford, Devon
      dated (proved) June25, 1656 at London:

      Will written April 7, 1653 for Henry Endacott

      The will makes reference to distributions to his daughters:
      Elizabeth, Mary and Johane.

      No wife is mentioned.

      Johane was married to John Curry and they had a son
      name John and a daughter named Ellinge.

      Last mentioned is Henry's son, Richard Endacott.

      Will witnessed by John Lamscroft and Nicholas Jeffery.

      The executor of this will was Edward Endacott.

      2] Reference: PROB 11/429/109

      The Will of John Endicott, Surgeon of London. {this is the
      son of Zerubabbel Endicott, son of Gov. John Endicott who
      moved back to England}

      Will written on August 12, 1689 in the first year of the reign
      of our Sovereign Lord and Savior King William and Queen
      Mary.

      The Will of John Endicott of Salem in New England, Chirurgeon,
      now resident of London and by God's grant, outward bound on
      a voyage to New England aforesaid....

      In the margin refers to John Endicott as Johannis Endicott.

      To his beloved wife, Anne Endicott, for and during the term of
      her natural life all that my half part..............(assets listed including
      orchards in the Salem villages in New England that were willed
      to him in the Last Will and Testament of his late father, Zerubbabel
      Endicott).....the rents and profits thereof unto my said wife for and
      during the term of her natural life toward the maintenance of herself
      and her child she now gots with child from (whether it be male or
      female) ......

      If his wife or child does not survive with issue....the assets would
      then go to his brother, Samuel Endacott.

      Unfortunately, the Probate was written in Latin.

      3] Reference: PROB 11/1447/163

      Will of Mary Endacott, spinster, written January 6, 1804, proved
      on August 6, 1806.

      Executors: James Coysh and Elizabeth Poli????

      Also playing a role of some kind in probate (sworn in):
      Thomas Narramore and Judith Thilston

      Lists her mother: Joan Endacott
      Sisters: Joanna (nee Endacott) Lethbridge
      Brother: Stephen Endacott and his daughter, Harriot ?????? Endacott
      Mentions other unnamed, surviving brothers
      Refers to a cousins Joanna Kendall or Rendall, James Coysh,
      Mary Ann Langery? and Ann Narramore

      More to come......

      4]

      5]