More Work on Joseph Endicott b. 1761.....RE: History of Woodford County, KY by Railey

  • Gordon S. Harmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      This is what I call some great research using the tools available that originally comes from a 1828 probate estate deed. Great work Jimmie and bride. I dont have to tell a cartographer this, but I think you can also use google maps topo feature from the aerial feature and zoom in continually and should be able to see any gravestones in that reported cemetery on the Joseph Endicott land of Woodford County.

      I would think and hope that the logical person to trek this land/site is Cousin Teddy Sanford since he is over in Elizabethtown (Hardin County), KY. If he would invite me, I would probably go trek this land with him.

      Gordon

      From: jimmieb@...
      To: jimmieb@...; gsharmon10@...; teddy.sanford@...; elaineclayton@...; b.mcglasson@...; endicott_gen@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: History of Woodford County, KY by Railey
      Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:49:54 -0700

      All,

      My wife and I have spent the last day and half looking at the Buck Run maps I had sent all of you and, Joseph Endicott property plat, Probate property descriptions, and Woodford County History book as it tells were Charles Railey and his brother Randolph lived.

      If you read the plat map boundary descriptions they mention the property lines of Charles and Randolph Railey as being on the east side of Joseph Endicott property.

      The first map (Buck Run Property Overview) you have seen with where we say Joseph Endicott's property was outlined in Yellow and its relationship to Versailles and Clifton.  This will give you overall feels for where the other zoomed in photo fits in Woodford County.

      The second map (Jos Endicott Labeled) is a blowup from Goggle (all maps are from Goggle) of what we see as Joseph Endicott property.  On this photo you will see Yellow notes showing Old Homeplace, and Cemetery.  On the probate plat map in lot # 7 owned by George Cole and Jincy Endicott Cole it has a spot indicated as house, and the written material indicates that George and Jincy Endicott Cole were living on the property, I think in original home of Joseph?  Also, looking at photo in approximately area where plat map says house was is what appears to be a former home site with trail/road/trees and also an area north of house looks to be cleared with a trail going to it from the improved road and we think it could be cemetery/grave site?  Cemetery area sure looks like a lot of the ones we tromped around in NC.

      The first person to visit site and take photo's I want some.

      If you wonder how I worked with all these maps, in the first 15 years of may career with the Army, I worked for the Kansas City District, Corps of Engineers as a Cartographer making maps from aerial photo.

      Enjoy and let me know what you think,

      Jimmie

      From: jimmieb@...
      To: jimmieb@...; gsharmon10@...; teddy.sanford@...; elaineclayton@...; b.mcglasson@...; endicott_gen@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:26:25 -0700

      All,

      One more map for you!

      This is from:

      U. S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY (USGS)

      TYRONE QUADRANGLE

      KENTUCKY

      7.5-MINUTE SERIES

      You can get and save this Topographic Map from USGS as a PDF file if you have Adobe Reader 9 from this link:

      http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

      When you get to the USGS page from this link, you will see a contour/topo map, if you use the enlarge/pan down bar in the left on this map and move slightly down you will see Buck Run. There will be also be two little RED/PINK light bulb that when you click on will give some choices.

      Chose to download the one that says:  Tyrone US TOPO, 7.5x7.5, 2010, 16947 KB.

      Will take a couple of minutes but will give you the complete TOPO map which you can then save on your computer.

      Sorry for so much detail, the map is attached to this email.  Notice how Buck Run is labeled and runs!

      Jimmie
      From: jimmieb@...
      To: gsharmon10@...; teddy.sanford@...; elaineclayton@...; b.mcglasson@...; endicott_gen@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:19:11 -0700

      All,

      Looked at this book at goggle and did find the following:

          Buck Run (shown on Joseph Endicott land plat) a stream whose source is on the farm of Charles Railey near Grier's Creek Church

          Buck Run empties into Kentucky River one mile above Clifton, KY

      Jimmie