RE: EFC

  • Gordon S. Harmon
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi Becky,

      It would be good to know, in your opinion, just what happened to your three pear trees.

      Condition on arrival???
      Planting conditions and/or soil conditions????
      Summer weather, 2010???
      Other?????

      I know of several sucessful plantings so far. I am sending this to them, hopefully to get an update on how their pear trees are doing. I understand that the plantings at the Rebecca Nurse Homestead in Danvers, MA are doing well, so far.

      Its time that I need to contact Cheryl Taylor again on an update on Phase II of her working on the new plantings of the scion wood cuttings. We have a number of backorders and several new orders. I am wondering too about how we might go about replacing those that were unsucessful, depending on how many trees Cheryl will have on Phase II. Ideas????

      Your critique of what happened to your three pear trees would be helpful for Cheryl to know. I will send your comments on to her. Thanks for sharing those comments from Virginny.

      Thanks in advance for your "contribution" that you are sending to Cindy. Unless you have a specific project in mind, I will ask Cindy to put this in the Endicott Historical Preservation Fund.

      Gordon

      From: checkyw@...
      To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
      Subject: EFC
      Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

      Hello Cindy and Gordon,
      I just wanted to let you know that I don't think I will be able to attend the Endecott/Endicott reunion in October. I will be sending Cindy a donation however.
      Also, about the trees.  Please be sure and advise people they might lose the trees.  I lost all three,
      Smiles to each of you
      Becky.

    • Elaine Clayton

        From: checkyw@...
        To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
        Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

        Hello Cindy and Gordon,

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
          Just look at the Description in the Files Section. What we know is all right there OR you might contact Cheryl Taylor direct. She is the guru on this important historic preservation project. She does not have email so if you want you can contact me direct for Cheryls contact information. It is best to channel inquiries direct to Cheryl. She is very congenial to work with all.

          Gordon

          To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

          From: checkyw@...
          To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
          Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

          Hello Cindy and Gordon,

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
            We've contacted her a few times, she's very nice, yet no real idea of when any trees would come our way.

            To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

            From: checkyw@...
            To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
            Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

            Hello Cindy and Gordon,

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
              She (Cheryl) should be able to give you some update. What we do know, for now, like I said before, is in the description of the Pear Tree Project here in the FILES SECTION. That will give you a clue, but not precise as it seems you are looking for.
              Gordon

              To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

              From: checkyw@...
              To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
              Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

              Hello Cindy and Gordon,

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
                I'm one of the people with a mac who has not been able to access information well or easily on the site, but I can try again. Maybe it's been updated to help the mac user Endicott cousins? Anyway, we just wonder when we'll see the pear trees. We had originally promised one to a school.

                To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

                From: checkyw@...
                To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
                Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

                Hello Cindy and Gordon,

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2010
                  Sometime ago, this question of MAC users was discussed on this list. There was a great solution. Perhaps those with the answer, that I can not remember, can help us out. It was something about a free download for MAC users.

                  Last time I spoke to Cheryl Taylor, she indicated Spring, 2011 or later, depending on the condition of the trees (Phase II) for shipment. Hope that helps some.

                  Gordon

                  To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

                  From: checkyw@...
                  To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
                  Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

                  Hello Cindy and Gordon,
                  I just wanted to let you know that I don't think I will be able to attend the Endecott/Endicott reunion in October. I will be sending Cindy a donation however.
                  Also, about the trees.  Please be sure and advise people they might lose the trees.  I lost all three,
                  Smiles to each of you
                  Becky.

                • Kyle Elwood
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
                    I have two trees.  One is doing well while the other
                    has struggled.  I believe the one that is struggling
                    suffered a setback when I inadvertently forgot to
                    keep it watered frequently during a hot period
                    after the initial planting.  Now that we are in the
                    fall weather pattern, I am anticipating the tree will
                    stabilize and improve in the spring.

                    By the way, you will need two trees to produce fruit
                    (cross-pollination).

                    Kyle

                    ==========

                    From: checkyw@...
                    To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
                    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

                    Hello Cindy and Gordon,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
                      By the way, Cheryl Taylor hung onto my trees an
                      extra year to allow them to develop into more sturdy
                      trees and better able to withstand the extraction and
                      replanting.  Mine were about 3 feet tall when I
                      received them.

                      Kyle

                      ==========

                      From: checkyw@...
                      To: levingston@...; gsharmon10@...
                      Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:18:51 -0400

                      Hello Cindy and Gordon,

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Thanks, Kyle for the update on your trees.

                        I wonder why the Endicott Pear Tree in Danvers, MA (THE ORIGINAL, planted ca. 1633) still bears fruit annually ALL BY ITS LONESOME.

                        Kyle wrote: By the way, you will need two trees to produce fruit
                        (cross-pollination).

                        Gordon

                        To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com

                        From: checkyw@...