4564Re: [Endicott_Gen] Anne Gower

  • Vanelda Mellblom
    Feb 5, 2014
      That link is not spelled correctly, Endicott......however even then it would not take me to the web page.  Not sure I understand the thing about Ann Gower , whose research says she is not the wife?   There was an attack on students at Endicott College according to the listings on that site.

      On Feb 5, 2014, at 1:10 PM, "Gordon S. Harmon" <gsharmon10@...> wrote:

      NEW DISCOVERY in the course of our Devonshire Research that is ongoing. This was accomplished with an onsite visit at the London Metropolitan Archives in October, 2013.

      Ann Gover (Gower) was NOT the wife of Governor John Endecott (1588-1665) as all have suspected. The earliest account of this legend that has been tracked to date is 1847.

      Be watching for: Family Legends and The Search for Ann Gover (Gower)

      With the relative inactivity of the Gen these days, I am not certain of the research interest.
      More of our research discoveries is going on the Endecott-Endecott Family Association, Inc. website www.endecott-endecott.com where we believe it reaches a wider genealogical community.

      Gordon S. Harmon
      Springfield, MO

      See notes, below from 2002

      To: Endicott_Gen@yahoogroups.com
      From: kay@...
      Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:48:43 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Endicott_Gen] Anne Gower

      Here's what I found in my notes about Anne Gower. I also have a picture
      of a lacework sampler that she made - got it out of some kind of a
      knitting magazine or something a friend of my mother's sent to us,
      credited to -- Anne Gower's Embroidery; Piecework Magazine,
      www.interweave. com -- but I can't find my original computer file to
      make a copy of it. If anyone is interested, I'll have more time to
      search for it after school is out - say after the Fourth of July!

      John married Ann Gower while he was residing in London.
      She was a lady of an influential family and cousin to Matthew Cradock,
      who was part owner and governor of the newly formed Massachusetts
      Company in England. She was also probably from around Chagford, for
      there were several Gower families in that area at that time. {Perley,
      Sidney, /_The History of Salem Massachusetts, Volume I, 1626-1637_/,
      (Sidney Perley, Salem, Massachusetts, 1924).}

      The /Abigail/ left Weymouth and sailed for Massachusetts on the 20th of
      June, 1628. On board were fifty or more planters, along with their wives
      and servants. John Endecott was their leader, accompanied by Anne Gower
      Endecott, his wife. {Mayo, Lawrence Shaw, /_John Endecott, A Biography_,
      /(Harvard University Press, 1936).}

      The settlers were unused to the extreme changes in the weather present
      in New England, from the heat and humidity of the summers, to the bitter
      cold of the winters. Spending the first winter in substandard housing
      was very hard on the colonists and many of them died, including Ann
      Gower Endecott. {Mayo, Lawrence Shaw, /_John Endecott, A Biography_,
      /(Harvard University Press, 1936).}

      /"It was well for Mr. Endecott that he possessed an ardent and sanguine
      temperament, which nothing could daunt, otherwise the innumerable
      discouraging circumstances which met him in this, his new abode, in
      every form, amid sickness, death, and privations of every kind, well
      suited to appal the stoutest hearts, would no doubt have wrought their
      effects upon him, to the prejudice of the whole plantation. But such was
      the energy and firmness of his character, aided, no doubt, by a
      religious enthusiasm, which induced the belief that it was the purpose
      of God to give them the land of the heathen as an inheritance, that
      neither his faith nor confidence in the ultimate success of the
      undertaking ever for a moment forsook him. In every crisis, this little
      band looked to him, as the weather-beaten and tempest-tossed mariner
      looks to his commander, next to God, for encouragement and support; and
      they did not look in vain. Such was the great mortality among them,
      during the first winter after their arrival, arising from exposure to
      the rigors of an untried climate, and their being badly fed and badly
      lodged, that there were scarcely found in the settlement well persons to
      nurse and console the sick. To enhance their distress, they were
      destitute of any regular medical assistance. In this painful dilemma a
      messenger was dispatched by Mr. Endecott to Gov. Bradford, of the
      Plymouth settlement, to procure the necessary aid; and Doctor Samuel
      Fuller, the physician, who was a prominent member and deacon of the
      Plymouth Church was sent among them. During his visit, Mr. Endecott was
      called by Divine Providence to suffer of the heaviest of earthly
      afflictions, in the death of his wife, the partner of all his sorrows,
      who had forsaken home, kindred, and the sympathy of friends, and
      consented to share with him the cares and privations incident to a new
      settlement . . . Her slender and delicate frame was not proof against
      the rigors of a New England climate. Born and nurtured in the midst of
      luxury and ease, she could not withstand the privations and hardships of
      her new home, and she fell a victim to her self-sacrificing disposition.
      Painful indeed must have been the parting, and severe the trial to Mr.
      Endecott."/ {Drake, Samuel G., Publishe/r, _New England Historical and
      Genealogical Register Volume I, 1847_/, (New England Genealogical
      Society, Boston, 1847).}

      Best Wishes to all,
      Kay
      In Seattle

      Gordon S. Harmon wrote:

      > Got a call blind from PA tonight. Asking about Anne Gower, first wife
      > of Gov. John Endecott. I was of little help. Does anyone have anything
      > on Anne Gower? He got my name from the Endicott College in Beverly,
      > MA...YIKES!! !! We do, fortunately, have alot on Elizabeth Cogan
      > Gibson, second wife of the Governor. Kay Kole Leary of Seattle is our
      > resident expert on the Cogans. How about it Cousin Kay?
      >
      > Gordon

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic