Re: [Endewearde_cooks] bacon and pecan pie recipe

  • Lord Gruffydd Abernethy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2009
       this comes directly from Ari

      Ba'can Pie

      Filling:

      4-5 slices of bacon, slightly undercooked and chopped; reserve bacon grease
      1 1/2 c. pecans
      1/2 c. maple syrup, plus 2 TBS
      1/2 c. light corn syrup
      1 c. sugar
      3 eggs, beaten
      2 TBS bourbon
      2 TBS warm bacon grease

      Cook bacon in skillet until slightly underdone. Chop into small pieces and set aside. Drain bacon fat and reserve 2 TBS (warm) and chill the rest to use in the crust.

      In the same pan, add pecans, bacon pieces and maple syrup. Heat over med until toasted and slightly candied (3-5 minutes). Stir constantly to keep from burning.

      In a bowl, beat eggs, and other liquid components. Stir in bacon and pecans. Pour into crust and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is firm. Half-way through, brush with equal parts maple and bourbon.

      Crust:

      1 1/4 c flour
      6 TBS chilled butter, cubed
      2 TBS chilled reserved bacon grease
      3 TBS ice water

      Put flour in a bowl. Add butter and bacon grease and mix with hands until crumbly and fat is well distributed. Slowly mix in water. Do not overwork. Shape dough into a small disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.

      Roll out dough between sheets of wax paper -- should be about 1/8" thick. Carefully lift off of wax paper and place into a 9" pie pan. Crimp edges and add filling.

      NOTES: The first time we made this as written above, it was much too sweet and the bacon flavor was fairly subdued. After consulting with one of my business partners, Laura (who makes one of the best pecan pies I've ever had), she recommends cutting the sugar by half - to ½ cup – and we had thought to slightly increase the amount of bacon (6-7 slices?). We also thought that breaking up the pecans into medium-sized pieces, rather than mostly halves, would incorporate more thoroughly. We used WalMart’s thick cut maple bacon. I was also generous with the bourbon, putting 2 TB in the sautéing pecans, plus another TB or so into the liquids, which I think was good and added more of the fragrance.

      Cooking time should be a bit shorter, or perhaps the oven used was too hot – start checking for doneness at about 40 minutes. Also note that we did not make the scratch crust, but used a purchased pie shell – which was fine, and certainly saved time.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2009
        Thank you Ari and Griff for the recipe--I made it for Easter, and it was a huge hit! YUM...
        Agatha