Cooks' Guild Meeting results

  • Leofwyn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2008
      The Cooks' Guild meeting consisted of myself, Bronwen, the twins -
      Alex and Zach, Rhona, and my mother Ginny.

      I made a savory soup thick with veggies, and beans (couldn't find fava
      beans, so we used cannelli beans).

      with bread and honey butter

      cheddar cheese,

      for dessert we had pomeges.

      Look for the photos in the photos file, I am calling it Leo's Cooks'
      Guild Meeting 2008.

      Leo
    • Leofwyn
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2008
        My Soup -

        I didn't find a recipe for this soup, I just sort of made it up, which
        isn't unusual for me.

        First I was supposed to do something with Fava Beans. But I couldn't
        find any - I am sure that The Natural Living Center in Bangor has
        some, but they didn't have any at the Natural Foods Center in Hampden,
        which is closer to home for me. They did say that they do carry them
        sometimes though.

        I cut up some fresh garlic (about 8 to 10 cloves) and one large sweet
        onion. I sauteed them in margarine and let them simmer while I cut up
        carrots and celery. I also fried 4 slices of bacon. Added the veggies,
        bacon, the leaves from a sprig of fresh savory, and about 4 oz. sliced
        baby portabello mushrooms, letting them simmer for a bit more,
        eventually adding 2 cans of cannelli beans, a large container of beef
        broth, a small can of veggie broth, about 1/2 cup fresh cut up
        spinach, and a little bit of the bacon grease, just for flavor. Then I
        added salt and a little more garlic powder just because that is the
        way I roll. :)

        I simmered the very vegetable rich soup until the carrots were tender.

        And it was a good soup. My mother said that she hadn't had that many
        veggies in one sitting in quite awhile.

        Bronwen's Pomeges:

        The recipe calls for - 1 quart of red or sweet wine, with v or vi
        (whatever that means), apples peeled and cored. Boil the apples in the
        wine until the apples are tender with thinly sliced white bread for
        thickening. When the apples are tender push the resulting mass through
        a strainer, boil again with a faire amount of sugar, 1 oz of cinnamon
        and 1/2 of 1/4th of an oz (why not just say 1/8th of an oz?) of
        ginger. Boil until desired consistency. Put into serving bowls,
        sprinkle with sugar dredge with cinnamon and ginger.

        We used a bottle of reisling and 1/2 a bottle of chardonnay, and just
        a touch of blueberry wine from the Winterport Winery. Bronwen cut up
        about 10 or 12 apples, peeling, quartering and coring them.

        It came out like apple sauce, and quite sweet tart. We wonder if it
        shouldn't have come out thicker, more like a bread pudding. And it was
        such an intense flavor we decided to throw some french vanilla ice
        cream on top - it was yummy!

        Leo

        --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, "Leofwyn" <elamache@...> wrote:

        > The Cooks' Guild meeting consisted of myself, Bronwen, the twins -
        > Alex and Zach, Rhona, and my mother Ginny.
        >
        > I made a savory soup thick with veggies, and beans (couldn't find fava
        > beans, so we used cannelli beans).
        >
        > with bread and honey butter
        >
        > cheddar cheese,
        >
        > for dessert we had pomeges.
        >

        > Look for the photos in the photos file, I am calling it Leo's Cooks'
        > Guild Meeting 2008.
        >
        > Leo

      • Leofwyn
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2008
          My Soup -

          I didn't find a recipe for this soup, I just sort of made it up, which
          isn't unusual for me.

          First I was supposed to do something with Fava Beans. But I couldn't
          find any - I am sure that The Natural Living Center in Bangor has
          some, but they didn't have any at the Natural Foods Center in Hampden,
          which is closer to home for me. They did say that they do carry them
          sometimes though.

          I cut up some fresh garlic (about 8 to 10 cloves) and one large sweet
          onion. I sauteed them in margarine and let them simmer while I cut up
          carrots and celery. I also fried 4 slices of bacon. Added the veggies,
          bacon, the leaves from a sprig of fresh savory, and about 4 oz. sliced
          baby portabello mushrooms, letting them simmer for a bit more,
          eventually adding 2 cans of cannelli beans, a large container of beef
          broth, a small can of veggie broth, about 1/2 cup fresh cut up
          spinach, and a little bit of the bacon grease, just for flavor. Then I
          added salt and a little more garlic powder just because that is the
          way I roll. :)

          I simmered the very vegetable rich soup until the carrots were tender.

          And it was a good soup. My mother said that she hadn't had that many
          veggies in one sitting in quite awhile.

          Bronwen's Pomeges:

          The recipe calls for - 1 quart of red or sweet wine, with v or vi
          (whatever that means), apples peeled and cored. Boil the apples in the
          wine until the apples are tender with thinly sliced white bread for
          thickening. When the apples are tender push the resulting mass through
          a strainer, boil again with a faire amount of sugar, 1 oz of cinnamon
          and 1/2 of 1/4th of an oz (why not just say 1/8th of an oz?) of
          ginger. Boil until desired consistency. Put into serving bowls,
          sprinkle with sugar dredge with cinnamon and ginger.

          We used a bottle of reisling and 1/2 a bottle of chardonnay, and just
          a touch of blueberry wine from the Winterport Winery. Bronwen cut up
          about 10 or 12 apples, peeling, quartering and coring them.

          It came out like apple sauce, and quite sweet tart. We wonder if it
          shouldn't have come out thicker, more like a bread pudding. And it was
          such an intense flavor we decided to throw some french vanilla ice
          cream on top - it was yummy!

          Leo

          --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, "Leofwyn" <elamache@...> wrote:

          > The Cooks' Guild meeting consisted of myself, Bronwen, the twins -
          > Alex and Zach, Rhona, and my mother Ginny.
          >
          > I made a savory soup thick with veggies, and beans (couldn't find fava
          > beans, so we used cannelli beans).
          >
          > with bread and honey butter
          >
          > cheddar cheese,
          >
          > for dessert we had pomeges.
          >

          > Look for the photos in the photos file, I am calling it Leo's Cooks'
          > Guild Meeting 2008.
          >
          > Leo

        • Margaret Rochester
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2008
            Leo,

            I was such an idiot!  I agreed to judge a debate meet yesterday.  Cooks' Guild is SO much better.  I'm sorry I wasn't there.  Do host again, because I'd love go to your place for Cooks' Guild sometime.

            About the best I can add is that Isabella had a sample of bacon gelato yesterday and declared it yummy.

            Margaret