Re:Venison / venyson

  • Leofwyn of Wytelseie
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
      The interesting thought regarding medieval recipes is that there are probably thousands of recipes that weren't written down. Who is to say that some cook, somewhere didnt add some veggies to their stew.

      With this thinking I have made several "what could be medieval" foods. I just try to remember that some veggies weren't around Europe in the Middle Ages. The potato for example, although a very staple of our own recipes in modern times, are thought not to have been used during medieval times.

      So if faced with your situation Jason. I would do the following: do the recipe as it is written or at least as close to it as you dare. And then I would add things to it for flavor, carrots or parsnips are very medieval - well at least I have been told that purple carrots are medieval. Celery, onions, garlic, butter, even turnip....it would make your venison stew much more substantial. And if I tasted my creation and decided that it just wasn't what I would serve my beloved friends cause it tasted like...well I will let you put in your own explitive... then I, would add things to it that are not medieval at all just to make sure that it wasn't a waste of my 4 lbs of venison, beef buillion, worchester, etc.   I have read somewhere - I do this alot, read something, remember the details, but can't remember where it was I read it - but I have read somewhere that there would be a pot sitting next to the fire all day, and throughout the day things would be added to the pot - meat, vegetables, herbs, etc and end up being the pottage at the end of the day - very much like a stew that we would make today.

      Or perhaps the venison stew recipe that you share with us is meant to be venison as a main dish - meat own its own - you know?  And meant to be served with veggies and bread on the side.

      just some thoughts
      Leo
      aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

    • Lady Aneleda Falconbridge
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
        I made this dish (from the Cookery recipe) and found it to be, unlike
        most medieval stews, quite bland. I may have been, back then, too
        light handed with spice use.

        (Margaret may remember it from my Christmas feast waaaay back - but
        like I said, it was bland.)

        I also make the gourdes in pottage recipe relatively often using the
        redaction in To The King's Taste. I agree with Margaret that the
        intent is for the pork to flavor rather than be "meaty." Especailly
        since the version I use suggests to brown the meat and remove. (I use
        twice the recommended pork however, to make it meaty. And I use the
        recipe as a loose set of recommendations, so I spice to my own taste.)

        I use winter squash of some sort (which I cook and puree or mash
        before adding) or zucchini as the gourdes bit. I just made a pot of
        each for the recent bardic - Gwillem ate 4 bowls of it, Vey had three.
        And Gwillem, who was working at our house, ate a bowl for lunch two
        additional days running. ;-)

        ANYWAY > Venison.

        I would try a meat pie using the venyson. You should be able
        tosubstitute it for beef if you add more fat someplace (butter helps)
        since it's usually too lean. You can use the traditional spices for
        mince-meat (which are pretty period!)

        I bet this on: http://www.godecookery.com/mtrans/mtrans39.htm would
        work pretty well.

        I made these "Tourtes parmeriennes"
        http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec69.htm

        and I think that they would work well with venyson too.

        The Pottage of Venison http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec106.html
        has veggies - beets even! Sounds, after a brief read, kind of like

        Finally, the romans made hamburgers with ground meat. No reason why
        you couldn't make venison patties with spices and serve with a nice,
        veggie laden pottage.

        =)

        Aneleda

        (excellent modern use - "loaf" - my first meal cooked for my husband
        was actually moose loaf. lol)
      • Leofwyn
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
          --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Aneleda Falconbridge"
          <aneleda@...> wrote:
          (I use twice the recommended pork however, to make it meaty. And I
          use the recipe as a loose set of recommendations, so I spice to my own
          taste.)
          So for the pirate in all of us - and for those who are Pirates of the
          Caribbean addicts - you use the recipe like the pirates in the movie
          used The Code - more like guidelines, eh?

          :)

          Leo
        • Leofwyn
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
            <aneleda@...> wrote:

            > I use winter squash of some sort (which I cook and puree or mash
            > before adding) or zucchini as the gourdes bit. I just made a pot of
            > each for the recent bardic - Gwillem ate 4 bowls of it, Vey had three.
            > And Gwillem, who was working at our house, ate a bowl for lunch two
            > additional days running. ;-)

            And I made a pottage of gourdes with pumpkin and pork (light on the
            pork) for the Hunt last year - for which, I remember, Gwillim coming
            back for "seconds" maybe even "thirds"! The man really likes his
            gourdes of pottage. (Although, in his defense, his bowl is rather
            small... :0) )
            Leo
          • Jason
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
              <"I have read somewhere - I do this alot, read something, remember
              the details, but can't remember where it was I read it - but I have
              read somewhere that there would be a pot sitting next to the fire
              all day, and throughout the day things would be added to the pot -
              meat, vegetables, herbs, etc and end up being the pottage at the end
              of the day - very much like a stew that we would make today.">

              Leo, I believe what you were referring to was Peas Porridge. A base
              of pea soup... with what ever anyone could get their hands on was
              added... eaten hot... allowed to sit over night.. eaten in the a.m.
              Just eaten... though I would conjecture that it was never allowed to
              get 9 days old... I'm sure it was either consumer by then or slopped
              to the pigs...

              "Peas porridge hot, Peas porridge cold, Peas porridge in the pot
              Nine days old. Some like it hot, Some like it cold, Some like it in
              the pot Nine days old"

              --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, Leofwyn of Wytelseie
              <elamache@...> wrote:

              > The interesting thought regarding medieval recipes is that there
              are probably thousands of recipes that weren't written down. Who is
              to say that some cook, somewhere didnt add some veggies to their
              stew.

              > With this thinking I have made several "what could be medieval"
              foods. I just try to remember that some veggies weren't around
              Europe in the Middle Ages. The potato for example, although a very
              staple of our own recipes in modern times, are thought not to have
              been used during medieval times.

              > So if faced with your situation Jason. I would do the following:
              do the recipe as it is written or at least as close to it as you
              dare. And then I would add things to it for flavor, carrots or
              parsnips are very medieval - well at least I have been told that
              purple carrots are medieval. Celery, onions, garlic, butter, even
              turnip....it would make your venison stew much more substantial. And
              if I tasted my creation and decided that it just wasn't what I would
              serve my beloved friends cause it tasted like...well I will let you
              put in your own explitive... then I, would add things to it that are
              not medieval at all just to make sure that it wasn't a waste of my 4
              lbs of venison, beef buillion, worchester, etc.   I have read
              somewhere - I do this alot, read something, remember the details,
              but can't remember where it was I read it - but I have read
              somewhere that there would be a pot sitting next to the fire all
              day, and throughout the day things would be
              > added to the pot - meat, vegetables, herbs, etc and end up being
              the pottage at the end of the day - very much like a stew that we
              would make today.

              > Or perhaps the venison stew recipe that you share with us is meant
              to be venison as a main dish - meat own its own - you know?  And
              meant to be served with veggies and bread on the side.

              > just some thoughts
              > Leo
              > aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

            • Leofwyn
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
                nope don't think so, cause I love pea soup, and if it were referring
                to that I would remember. ;) (and there is a funny story about pea
                soup in my history that I will have to tell you sometime)

                But much like the old Peas porridge in the rhyme, it was kept next to
                the fire all day, and simmered.....can you imagine the lovely smells
                that permeated the home?

                I actually think it was something that I was reading on an anglo-saxon
                history website or viking website. Cause I do that a significant
                amount of time too.

                Leo