Demo display?

  • Lady Aneleda Falconbridge
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2008
      Greetings and hail and all goodness to the ECG!

      I, your humble and loyal demo autocrat, am wondering if we'll be
      blessed with a display at Fort Knox from the Cooks Guild?

      For I have planned to bring a roasted chicken, and if there are not
      plans, then, uh, I guess I won't!

      BUT here, I would consider Plans:

      A Loaf of rustic bread (and something to go with? butter, jam?)
      A Chicken (I can do)
      A Salat of greens (I can volunteer greens - nice to look at but have
      gone too far to eat any more)
      A couple of boiled eggs we can steal from the dayboard
      Some Kind of Pottage
      Cloth for table
      Candle/holder
      A jug of water
      Bottle of faux mead (colored water)
      Tableware / feast gear

      We can put together recipes which can be put up on the A&S site of the
      shire webpage (I will do that!)

      How does that sound to everyone? (Anyone?)

    • Leofwyn of Wytelseie
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
        I am bringing a wooden medievalish table, a cloth for a table cloth, although I am sure that others have something that look better, and I have those rather large candles I often use at feasts, but also have others that could be used. I plan on boiling eggs for the dayboard, so yes a few eggs from the dayboard will work. I also plan on making a loaf of bread.

        so there is the table
        the cloth
        the candles
        I'll have the feast gear handy
        a loaf of bread
        some hard boiled eggs
        and I have the promise of the chicken from Aneleda
        and a tart from Margaret
        am I missing anything anyone else has offered?

        Leo
        aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

      • freida smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
          what would you like me to do.
          freida

        • sylviaf@midmaine.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
            I am bringing a bottle that resembles something alchoholic, but isn't
            Sylvia

            > I am bringing a wooden medievalish table, a cloth for a table cloth,
            > although I am sure that others have something that look better, and I have
            > those rather large candles I often use at feasts, but also have others
            > that could be used. I plan on boiling eggs for the dayboard, so yes a few
            > eggs from the dayboard will work. I also plan on making a loaf of bread.
            >
            > so there is the table
            > the cloth
            > the candles
            > I'll have the feast gear handy
            > a loaf of bread
            > some hard boiled eggs
            > and I have the promise of the chicken from Aneleda
            > and a tart from Margaret
            > am I missing anything anyone else has offered?
            >
            > Leo
            > aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

          • Leofwyn of Wytelseie
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
              Oh yeah! that's right

              so we have

              table
              cloth
              candles
              chicken
              bread
              honey butter (I think Cate mentioned that)
              a tart
              a bottle of something no alchoholic but looks like it.
              feast gear (wooden plates, bowls, mugs, goblets etc.)
              hard boiled eggs
              maybe some fruit

              What I am missing is some decent looking eating utensils!  a medievalish looking spoon, knife and maybe even a fork! Does anyone have some?

              What Aneleda was suggesting included: a pottage (thick soup), some salat - which I can steal a little from the dayboard, and the rest we have.

              Thanks everyone!
              Leo
              aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

            • Leofwyn of Wytelseie
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                Also, you can contribute to our illustrious demo by printing out a favorite medieval recipe - lots of copies to pass out too? with references too?

                Just a thought!
                Leo
                aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

              • Margaret Rochester
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                  I can do my own redacting (modern recipe) however I'd like to double check about giving out the original.  The original, I'm sure, outdates copywrite issues.  However, I get the original from a book which is currently under copywrite.  How does that work out?

                  Margaret

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Margaret,

                    If you wish, I can post the question to the Melibs list and see what the
                    copyright gurus have to say (or to the SCA librarians for that matter).

                    Elena

                    Also, you can contribute to our illustrious demo by printing out a favorite
                    medieval recipe - lots of copies to pass out too? with references too?

                    Just a thought!

                    Leo
                    aka Leofwyn of Wytleseie

                    http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
                  • Margaret Rochester
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Yes, please!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Well.. trivia I learned from the MLIS degree was that the ingredients in a recipe are not subject to copyright - the written instructions (within reason) and fanciful descriptions of the food item are what is subject to copyright.

                        The easiest thing to do is to take the basic ingredients, ignore the pretty formatting of the publication it came in and write your own introduction and instruction steps. Then cite the source(s) as inspiration and don't worry about it. If you made the writeup uniquely your own interpretation of the recipe then it should be ok.

                        The only other thing to dodge is the social faux pas of not acknowledging the source by not giving them credit in your interpretation. The person who already put time into doing the research that made it easy for you to try that recipe appreciates getting credit as a source. The historic cooking community isn't that large a group and that would help you keep within most social graces.

                        Making your own graphics is just plain easier if you want pictures (or use well known woodcut images). I have a couple of cooking related images from scrolls (and I think woodcuts)  I've been working with if you need a graphic or two. I did my own "tracing" and slightly modified the designs (a la Dover publications approach).

                        A fancy font for a title and some nice text goes a long way for handouts too.

                        I'd like to take some pictures of  the table setting at the demo and we could put up the recipes & menu for that table as a follow up someplace on the shire website. Makes a nice A+S thing for Mira to report.

                        Bryn

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                          Creating and writing up the modern recipe is the easy part for me.  My biggest question hinges on the fact that I found "perboile oynoun & erbis & presse ..." in a book.  Those original words, I'm sure are no longer under copywrite. However, I found them in a book which is under copywrite.  And I'm sure someone has the copywrite on the work to translate the original calligraphy into typed work.  I'd like to not only make my own recipe, but also include the original I'm basing it on.  Can I put out that original without violating copywrite?

                          Margaret

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                            Well.. here's where the best judgement part comes in for any copyright discussion, which as you know tend to be murky waters to navigate sometimes...what you are asking for right now is under an educational setting...

                            My best judgement would tell me that technically I should not to use that recipe 'as is' without explicit permission from the author for *mass* distribution in a demo setting because you are using the copyrighted version from a book. If you wanted to hand out a recipe in a closed educational setting (small class in the same room) you should be able to do that even without explicit author permission. If you wanted to redact the recipe for your own interpretation and use terminology you studied appropriate to the time period in your version it should be ok.

                            The real question I know you are asking is whether the original work itself is under copyright. That is where the copyright laws are harder to interpret. You have the situation of older works not falling under copyright laws anywhere but you also have the issue of who has legal ownership of a work (let's say a manuscript in this case). The owner has the right to decide how the work is used in its direct form - that's why museums retain the rights to sell images of their own holdings in postcards, etc.

                             The artist has the right to interpret something and make it uniquely their own (otherwise "art" becomes severly hampered). You are taking something and changing it significantly enough into something that is distinct from the original (the artist who does the paintings of cat faces in famous paintings of renaissance garb, for example).

                            Now, if you can find the recipe in a source (microform is a good example) in another book out of copyright or as a manuscript,  you can cite that as your source (and I'd use the swirly original text it comes in too, which is practically unreadable the first time you see it). Then I think you can use it because you are working from the information provided through another source.. and yeah.. I know.. the recipe manuscript might be owned by the author of that book you'd like to use and they who would technically have the right to profit from it in its current form (images of it, inclusion of it in a collection of historic recipes)..... and that's when the librarians and other authors consult copyright lawyers....

                             It is highly unlikely that anyone would chase down a recipe manuscript to the point of knowing it was under private ownership except through extensive research.

                            And besides, the manuscript is probably a copy of someone else's recipe who is uncredited..... (it's all one big hamster wheel....)

                            In my distance ed classes broadcast via satellite the instructor found it was just easier to not try to put up a small cartoon she liked because of copyright laws - even though the cartoon would have been broadcast over a closed system there was the potential it would be breached (yeah.. i know.. seems silly). The same instructor was able to use the cartoon as part of a powerpoint presentation lecture when she came up to Maine to teach a saturday session of our distance ed class (the instructors flew up once or twice a semester to run a day long class).  In that instance the cartoon was in a closed physical environment
                            with no handouts icluding it and used as one small part of her lecture.

                            I agree with you that the way the wording in the recipe is stated is likely no longer under copyright of the original owner (if it ever was.. and copyright laws didn't exist in our sca time period of study to the best of my knowledge)

                            If Elena finds out something different for this privately off ME-LIBS I'd love to hear it.. I have learned that there are different camps regarding how to interpret copyright laws.

                            Bryn

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                              Here are the responses so far:

                              1. Kim--

                              A stickler might claim that there is a copyright in the modern
                              *transcription* of the recipe from the medieval source for the published
                              work. However, that is debatable and is balanced against many other
                              considerations:
                              (1) the recipe itself is an original, uncopyrightable text that was
                              "imported" into the published work;
                              (2) the recipe is presumably a very small part of the published work;
                              (3) distribution of the recipe at the tournament is highly unlikely to
                              undercut the market for sale of the published work.
                              If this is the case, I think you have a clear example of fair use.

                              Regards,
                              John B.

                              John R. Barden
                              Director, Law and Legislative Reference Library
                              State of Maine
                              (207) 287-1600

                              2. IMHO, the person who reprinted the recipe in modern English now owns the
                              rights to the newer text. To be absolutely sure, I'd write the author and
                              ask for permission. And cite the source. It would possibly generate more
                              sales of the book!

                              Debbie Gahm
                              Public Relations Chair, Maine Association of School Libraries (MASL)
                              Library Media Specialist/District K-12 Library Media Services Coordinator
                              Lake Region High School
                              1877 Roosevelt Trail
                              Naples, ME 04055

                              Personally, I trust #1. he is very familiar with odd citations from old
                              works and he seems to grasp the situation better than the other one. I
                              would suggest that you cite the source anyways. It is better to be safe
                              than sorry and it is good info to share with curious folks.

                              Elena