Left over Black Porray

  • Leofwyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      I got a bit creative this afternoon and started cooking. Since I
      couldn't make it to the Leek Party, I decided to do something with the
      left over Black Porray from the feast at TOL.

      While at TOL last Saturday night, during clean up, either Margaret or
      Sylvia (sorry can't remember which) mentioned that the Black Porray
      would make a good quiche. So this morning I thawed out the frozen
      leftover BP and heated it in a frying pan on low heat. I threw about a
      half of a cup of the warmed bacon/spinach/onion mixture into the
      bottom of a prepared pie shell (which I had cooked at 450 for about 8
      minutes covered in two layers of tin foil, removed the tin foil and
      saved it for the edges), then I sprinkled some shredded cheddar over
      the spinach mixture, then poured some scrambled egg (4) mixed with
      about 1 cup of milk over the spinach and cheese. I had turned down my
      oven to 325, covered the edges of the pie crust with strips of tin
      foil. Baked it for about 20 to 25 minutes, removed the foil from the
      edges, and continued to bake for about 15 or 20 more minutes (until a
      knife inserted near the center comes out clean).

      But I still had a bunch of spinach left over...what to do. So I cooked
      up some penne pasta (I have to use gluten free rice type), heated up
      the spinach again, removed the spinach from the pan and set it aside.
      I had a bunch of oil and bacon grease left in the bottom of the pan,
      added a bit more Earth Balance margarine to the pan, added a little
      bit of garlic salt, heated it up till the margarine melted. Then I
      added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the oil/margarine mix,
      stirring it until I made a paste, then I added about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
      of milk, simmering and stirring until it was thickened, and then
      dumped about 3/4th of a cup of parmesan cheese to the sauce, stirring
      until smooth. I then mixed the cheese sauce, Black Porray and penne
      pasta together - what a surprise! very tasty! Of course, I can't
      convince anyone in my house to eat it.

      Next on the agenda for the day is brownies! Planning on brownie
      sundaes - brownies with melted chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream and
      chocolate fudge sauce - this evening - yum! yum!
    • Lady Sara of Stonley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        My kids would pass on the quiche, but would love the pasta dish.
        Sounds tasty to me!

        BTW how was that quiche?

        And Kaylin would love to be at your place for the brownie sundaes!

        Sara

        --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, "Leofwyn" <elamache@...>
        wrote:

        > I got a bit creative this afternoon and started cooking. Since I
        > couldn't make it to the Leek Party, I decided to do something with
        the
        > left over Black Porray from the feast at TOL.
        >
        > While at TOL last Saturday night, during clean up, either Margaret
        or
        > Sylvia (sorry can't remember which) mentioned that the Black Porray
        > would make a good quiche. So this morning I thawed out the frozen
        > leftover BP and heated it in a frying pan on low heat. I threw
        about a
        > half of a cup of the warmed bacon/spinach/onion mixture into the
        > bottom of a prepared pie shell (which I had cooked at 450 for about
        8
        > minutes covered in two layers of tin foil, removed the tin foil and
        > saved it for the edges), then I sprinkled some shredded cheddar over
        > the spinach mixture, then poured some scrambled egg (4) mixed with
        > about 1 cup of milk over the spinach and cheese. I had turned down
        my
        > oven to 325, covered the edges of the pie crust with strips of tin
        > foil. Baked it for about 20 to 25 minutes, removed the foil from the
        > edges, and continued to bake for about 15 or 20 more minutes (until
        > knife inserted near the center comes out clean).
        >
        > But I still had a bunch of spinach left over...what to do. So I
        cooked
        > up some penne pasta (I have to use gluten free rice type), heated up
        > the spinach again, removed the spinach from the pan and set it
        aside.
        > I had a bunch of oil and bacon grease left in the bottom of the pan,
        > added a bit more Earth Balance margarine to the pan, added a little
        > bit of garlic salt, heated it up till the margarine melted. Then I
        > added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the oil/margarine mix,
        > stirring it until I made a paste, then I added about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
        > of milk, simmering and stirring until it was thickened, and then
        > dumped about 3/4th of a cup of parmesan cheese to the sauce,
        stirring
        > until smooth. I then mixed the cheese sauce, Black Porray and penne
        > pasta together - what a surprise! very tasty! Of course, I can't
        > convince anyone in my house to eat it.
        >
        > Next on the agenda for the day is brownies! Planning on brownie
        > sundaes - brownies with melted chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream
        and
        > chocolate fudge sauce - this evening - yum! yum!

      • freida
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
          wish I live closer the boys and I would of tried it. I liked the Black
          Porray the first time around.
          do we get to see you later today?
          the weather is beautiful in Wilton this morning.
          Logan is ready to armor up with the big boys. He is a little nerves
          about getting thumped by the big boys and Ladies.
          freida

          --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, "Leofwyn" <elamache@...> wrote:

          > I got a bit creative this afternoon and started cooking. Since I
          > couldn't make it to the Leek Party, I decided to do something with the
          > left over Black Porray from the feast at TOL.
          >
          > While at TOL last Saturday night, during clean up, either Margaret or
          > Sylvia (sorry can't remember which) mentioned that the Black Porray
          > would make a good quiche. So this morning I thawed out the frozen
          > leftover BP and heated it in a frying pan on low heat. I threw about a
          > half of a cup of the warmed bacon/spinach/onion mixture into the
          > bottom of a prepared pie shell (which I had cooked at 450 for about 8
          > minutes covered in two layers of tin foil, removed the tin foil and
          > saved it for the edges), then I sprinkled some shredded cheddar over
          > the spinach mixture, then poured some scrambled egg (4) mixed with
          > about 1 cup of milk over the spinach and cheese. I had turned down my
          > oven to 325, covered the edges of the pie crust with strips of tin
          > foil. Baked it for about 20 to 25 minutes, removed the foil from the
          > edges, and continued to bake for about 15 or 20 more minutes (until a
          > knife inserted near the center comes out clean).
          >
          > But I still had a bunch of spinach left over...what to do. So I cooked
          > up some penne pasta (I have to use gluten free rice type), heated up
          > the spinach again, removed the spinach from the pan and set it aside.
          > I had a bunch of oil and bacon grease left in the bottom of the pan,
          > added a bit more Earth Balance margarine to the pan, added a little
          > bit of garlic salt, heated it up till the margarine melted. Then I
          > added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the oil/margarine mix,
          > stirring it until I made a paste, then I added about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
          > of milk, simmering and stirring until it was thickened, and then
          > dumped about 3/4th of a cup of parmesan cheese to the sauce, stirring
          > until smooth. I then mixed the cheese sauce, Black Porray and penne
          > pasta together - what a surprise! very tasty! Of course, I can't
          > convince anyone in my house to eat it.
          >
          > Next on the agenda for the day is brownies! Planning on brownie
          > sundaes - brownies with melted chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream and
          > chocolate fudge sauce - this evening - yum! yum!

        • Leofwyn of Whittlesey
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
            The quiche was good, but probably more spinach than the kids would have liked. I plan on warming up a piece to go with my breakfast (pancakes, maple bacon, syrup and a strawberry syrup that I made with some strawberries I bought - yum yum!)

            Tell Kaylin, that she doesn't need to be envious after all.....My hubby buried the truck in the driveway so we couldn't get out to get the ice cream - :(   but maybe later on this week.

            wrote:

            > I got a bit creative this afternoon and started cooking. Since I
            > couldn't make it to the Leek Party, I decided to do something with
            the
            > left over Black Porray from the feast at TOL.
            >
            > While at TOL last Saturday night, during clean up, either Margaret
            or
            > Sylvia (sorry can't remember which) mentioned that the Black Porray
            > would make a good quiche. So this morning I thawed out the frozen
            > leftover BP and heated it in a frying pan on low heat. I threw
            about a
            > half of a cup of the warmed bacon/spinach/ onion mixture into the
            > bottom of a prepared pie shell (which I had cooked at 450 for about
            8
            > minutes covered in two layers of tin foil, removed the tin foil and
            > saved it for the edges), then I sprinkled some shredded cheddar over
            > the spinach mixture, then poured some scrambled egg (4) mixed with
            > about 1 cup of milk over the spinach and cheese. I had turned down
            my
            > oven to 325, covered the edges of the pie crust with strips of tin
            > foil. Baked it for about 20 to 25 minutes, removed the foil from the
            > edges, and continued to bake for about 15 or 20 more minutes (until
            > knife inserted near the center comes out clean).
            >
            > But I still had a bunch of spinach left over...what to do. So I
            cooked
            > up some penne pasta (I have to use gluten free rice type), heated up
            > the spinach again, removed the spinach from the pan and set it
            aside.
            > I had a bunch of oil and bacon grease left in the bottom of the pan,
            > added a bit more Earth Balance margarine to the pan, added a little
            > bit of garlic salt, heated it up till the margarine melted. Then I
            > added a couple of tablespoons of flour to the oil/margarine mix,
            > stirring it until I made a paste, then I added about 1 to 1 1/2 cups
            > of milk, simmering and stirring until it was thickened, and then
            > dumped about 3/4th of a cup of parmesan cheese to the sauce,
            stirring
            > until smooth. I then mixed the cheese sauce, Black Porray and penne
            > pasta together - what a surprise! very tasty! Of course, I can't
            > convince anyone in my house to eat it.
            >
            > Next on the agenda for the day is brownies! Planning on brownie
            > sundaes - brownies with melted chocolate chips, vanilla ice cream
            and
            > chocolate fudge sauce - this evening - yum! yum!

            Leofwyn

          • Leofwyn of Whittlesey
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
              me too! we have a ton of it left over. Plus I made a bunch of chicken fettucini alfredo too for my meat eaters..

              Yes I will see you later on today!

              Leo