Re: [Endewearde_cooks] Re: Thanksgiving Challenge

  • Gruffydd Abernethy
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 21, 2007
      I supose thats true.
      -G

      --- L T <ladybrynmillar@...> wrote:

      > --- Gruffydd Abernethy <olethros2000@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I would think that a turnspit couldn't be that
      > > different from a foil,
      > > -G
      >
      > And a rattan sword is just kindling waiting to
      > happen.
      >

      > Bryn

      > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • Leofwyn of Whittlesey
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2007
        For the Thanksgiving challenge I made Lombard Slices. Basically it is honey, hard boiled egg yolk and bread crumbs formed into a loaf with a wine sauce spread over it.

        the directions say to hard boil 12 eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. then boil 8 tbls of honey for 2 minutes, then sieve the yolks into the honey a little at a time while stirring quickly to blend them until the mixture is smooth. Then to add fresh bread crumbs until the
        mixture is quite firm so that you can mold it into a brick. The only seasoning was some black pepper. Then you are supposed to chill it for a few hours. Then when you are ready to serve it, boil a cup of wine with 5 tbls of honey and some cinnamon, reducing the wine mixture down to a syrup. I just happened to make hyppocras this year so I literally used that because it is basically the same. I just poured some in a small pot on the stove and set the heat on medium just as we sat down to eat our Thanksgiving feast. So by the time we got ready to try the Lombard slices, the syrup was just about ready. (I did cheat a little more and added a couple more tablespoons of honey to make sure the syrup was sweet.) Well the Lombard slices were interesting.......not great but not so disgusting that you couldn't eat it.....it was a texture thing I think. We all gave it a try. The syrup came out great! but the Lombard loaf itself was a bit too eggy or something.

        Also for our Thankgiving dinner, we had a nice medievally type of salad, made of green leaf lettuce, parsley, mint, currants, pine nuts, and the egg whites left over from the 12 eggs I boiled for the Lombard slices. I mixed up a bit of oil, vinegar and sugar for a dressing....it was yummy. That combination of parsley and mint along with that sweet dressing makes a nice light green salad.

        And as I said before, and in addition to the Lombard slices and the medievally type salad, I made hyppocras. Which was an adventure in itself.

        So it is now 8:00 at night on Thursday, the food is put away, the dishes are done, and the company has gone home. Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.

        So even though no one really raved about my Lombard slices do I get the extra points for making something that hasn't been made for a Cooks Guild meeting yet? :)

        What did everyone else do?

        Leo

        kenduskeagstream <kenduskeagstream@...> wrote:
        Anyone going to try it? I'm thinking of stuffing the turkey with a
        period stuffing (yea, we'll have the regular sausage/cornbread stuff
        too cooked outside the bird). I'm also going to try a sauce for the
        turkey. Haven't quite figured out which one yet though.

        Margaret

        > This year at Thanksgiving, cook one dish which is either period or
        > inspired by a period recipe. You get extra points if it is something
        > that hasn't been had at a Cooks' Guild meeting yet.
        >
        > Margaret

      • Margaret Rochester
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 22, 2007
          I made Capon or Gos Farced.  It is a pork, parsley, egg yolk, cinnamon, ginger, clove, pepper, saffron, grape stuffing - for a capon or goose, but I used turkey.  There are several similar poultry stuffings.  Griff made one version for Bare Blade, though I don't know exactly which that was.  And Aneleda also made a similar one for a turkey at the very first Hunt, though again, I don't' know which version.  So it is MY first time making it at any rate, and maybe Endewearde's first.

          It went over very well!  I also made traditional dressing.  We will continue with the traditional, because it is traditional, but I think everyone preferred the medieval version!  I know I did, hands down.  Unfortunately, I kind of lost steam in my cooking halfway through the day, so I didn't make the sauce.  I might make it for the leftovers, or I might go shopping.  Decisions, decisions.

          Margaret