Savory Toasted Cheese

  • kenduskeagstream
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
      I cooked off about half a pound of bacon, and chopped it up. Added
      about a tablespoon of minced garlic and teaspoon of white pepper. I
      took that, 3 sticks of butter, 2 pounds of brie, 3 pounds of cream
      cheese and tossed it in a crock pot. Two or three hours later I
      stirred it all up. It was very soupy. It didn't look like all the
      butter would incorporate, but it did. Then I didn't know how long
      until people would eat, so I turned off the crock pot. A couple hours
      later, the crock pot had been moved and about half the cheese
      consumed. The cheese at that point was much thicker. I don't know if
      the heat had been turned on and it had been hot and cooking for two
      more hours, or if the heat had not been turned on and it was setting up
      because of the cold. Sylvia would like this dish with broccoli for the
      Tourney O' Love.

      Digby p. 228/177
      Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
      Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
      beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
      pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton:
      and, if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
      Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
      Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and
      stir all well together, to Incorporate them; and when all is of an
      equal consistence, strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and eat it with
      tosts or crusts of White-bread. You may scorch it at the top with a hot
      Fire-Shovel.
    • Deborah Ellis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2007
        Sounds good.