Period dining - what research have you done?

  • ladybrynmillar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2007
      Hi,

      First, I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the last cooks guild meeting. I
      was chasing down paper receipts to wrap up the fort knox demo. Now for
      my question...

      Has anyone on the Endewearde cooks guild done any research into period
      dining, such as table manners and customs, types of utensils and such
      found at a table, serving certain foods "above or below the salt", etc?

      The reason I ask is that we are having two feasts coming up in October
      2007 and February 2008 (thanks to Grif, our "go to guy"!). We haven't
      had an indoor sit down feast in our group since the potluck mardi gras
      held in winter 2005 in the basement of the First Baptist church in
      Waterville.

      We have some new people who may need to think about bringing their own
      feast gear and now is a good time to get the word out about that. I
      was going to write something as an email for the UMaine fencers, who
      are sca newbies, and it seems that this is good fodder for a shire
      newsletter article. I had forgotten how interesting it can be to think
      in terms of eating in a period manner until I was explaining to people
      at an A+S table how some of the dining customs were practiced that I
      could remember(Vey had his hand made cutlery on display which made a
      good prop to use).

      Those of us experienced in sca dining know how much fun it is to get
      out the candles, that special mug you found, and the nice plate and
      linens to dress your table. I picked up a bunch of medievalish candle
      holders at the dollar store a few months ago to have extras for feast.

      I've also been meaning to get a few replacement items for our
      feastware. Anyone else thinking along these lines yet? This would make
      an excellent short article for the newsletter -- I know the chronicler
      is always looking for submissions. Would anyone want to talk about
      period dining practices? I (or anyone on this list) could write a
      basic "basics for feast" article for Leofwyn.

      Bryn