The Mustard of doom

  • Gruffydd Abernethy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2007
      Here is the recipe for the mustard we had at the fort

      1/2 lb brown mustard seed ground coarsely
      about 2 oz finely ground
      4 1/2oz prepared chopped horseradish
      1 medium onion ground
      chunk o' ginger about the size of and APD for a combat
      crossbow bolt amouts to 2-3 Tablespoons chopped
      (probably)
      2 Table spoons sugar
      1 Teaspoon white pepper
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      2-3 Tablespoons honey
      apple cider vinegar

      grind the mustard seed
      chop onions, horseradish and ginger together in a
      blender with a little of the vinegar
      mix all other ingredients together in a clay or
      ceramic bowl.
      add apple cider vinegar untill you reach the desired
      consistancy.

      at this point turn and run for the nearest air raid
      shelter.
      when you can again stand in the same room as the
      mustard, attempt to place a damp cloth over it and
      and leave it alone ( i stored it in the fridge
      although I'm don't think it was nessacary, in my
      experience there is next to nothing that can grow in
      the unhospitable environment that this mustard offers
      and any thing that can should be welcomed as the next
      superior life form on this planet.)

      the mustard should be ediable in about three days and
      will need more vinegar added to it as it will dry out
      a little.

      for a bit more help here is the recipe that i based
      mine on from
      http://www.greydragon.org/library/mustard.html

      good luck and don't say I didn't warn you.
      -Gruffydd Abernethy

      ************************************

      Terafan's version of the Digby mustard

      I have modified the Digby recipe in a couple of ways.
      First I grind (puree) the ginger, the onion, and the
      horseradish, because I like hot mustard and I like the
      flavour it adds. I also throw it all back in the
      blender and puree it with some more vinegar just
      before bottling it. I find that this smooths out any
      remaining whole or partial seeds and makes if much
      creamier and smooth. Sometimes I eliminate the ginger
      altogether.

      2 lbs brown mustard seed 1 large white onion
      1 hand of ginger 1 horseradish root, approx 10" long
      1 tsp white pepper 1 tsp sugar
      Apple cider vinegar
      Grind the mustard seed as fine as you can. A blender
      works well if only grinding about 1/4 lb at a time.
      Puree the onion, ginger, and horseradish with vinegar
      in a blender. Add the pepper and sugar to the puree
      and then pour it over the ground mustard seed in a
      stone crock. Mix well and cover the crock with a
      towel. The mustard will mellow over time. It will also
      dry some. You may add more vinegar and mix it as
      required. For extra smoothness, puree in the blender
      with additional vinegar before bottling.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
    • Lady Aneleda Cytheria Falconbridge
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2007
        LOL - any time that you use a combat weapon as a measurement, I think
        the recipe certainly gets a special "OF DOOM" attached! Vivat Grif!

        I'm putting this also in the files section Grif, since I think it's
        cool.

        Aneleda
        (Actually, can Leo put it in the newsletter?????) Grif - is that ok???

        --- In Endewearde_cooks@yahoogroups.com, Gruffydd Abernethy