first attempt

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2006
      Well I thought that I would actually try to come to tonights
      meeting....although I have to leave early to go to Aneleda's house
      at 7:00. And in the spirit of the evening I thought I would also
      make my first attempt at something medieval-ish to share......I
      decided to try to make gingerbread!

      Firstly, medieval gingerbread is not the cake like version we all
      think of. It is basically honey, bread crumbs, ginger, cinnamon,
      white pepper and saffron, and if you like, some red food coloring,
      to take the place of the sandalwood that they would have used back
      then.

      Secondly, no where in the redaction online did I see it say that you
      should use fresh bread crumbs, so I went the cheap and easy way and
      bought dry bread crumbs.

      The first funny thing that happened was when I tried to use the top
      of a heart shaped cake pan to mold my gingerbread. I pressed a bunch
      of the resulting glop on to the top of the cake pan, then I planned
      on flipping it over so that the lovely crisscross design could be
      seen on the top of the confection. So I put a cookie sheet on top of
      the gingerbread and turned the whole thing over, cookie sheet,
      gingerbread and cake pan, so that the cake pan was on top. But, lo
      and behold, honey is very sticky stuff!!! So the cake pan wouldn't
      come off the top of the gingerbread and I seemed to have a
      gingerbread sandwiched between a cookie sheet and a cake
      pan....hmmmmm...what to do? So I thought that perhaps if I filled
      the now upright cake pan with some hot water from the tea kettle it
      would soften the gingerbread enough to allow me to lift the cake pan
      off the top. I actually ended up taking the cake pan off the top
      when the cake pan was cool rather than warm. So okay, that was fine.
      But now looking at the pretty heart shaped mass on the cookie sheet,
      I couldn't help but notice that the whole thing looked like RAW
      HAMBURGER!!! The red food coloring was a perfect color for raw meat,
      and the dry bread crumbs didn't absorb into the honey very well and
      looked like the white pieces of fat in hamburger......YUCK! What a
      sight! Good thing I didn't try to serve that at the Hunt! :) So I
      ended up covering the entire thing with powdered sugar and cinnamon
      (probably not period at all!) Although it has the most wonderful
      taste - just like Ginger snaps!

      I have it with me, and I dare everyone there tonight to try it!
      Haha!

      In Service to the Shire and apparently serving raw hamburger ~
      Leofwyn
    • Lyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2006
        Hey! I think I have just come up with a good and somewhat evil trick to
        play on Halloween! Make some more of this raw hamburger looking stuff
        and make the kids at the halloween party try it! What do you all
        think!