Cheese Off

  • kenduskeagstream
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
      Several of us took a cheese making class at Smithwick's event last
      weekend. We were inspired!

      A Cheese Off has been proposed for GNEW. Make some cheese. Bring it
      to GNEW. Share it with other cheesy friends.

      Unfortunantly, I did not wind up bringing home a copy of the handout.
      I've done a Google search for "cheese making" and got a bazillion
      hits. I've never made cheese before, so I don't want to recommend
      anything. But I think a trip to the library and/or Natural Living
      Center might be in order.

      Obviously we will be severly limited with what sorts of cheese we can
      make. We don't have 6 months to age the stuff. But this sounds like a
      good excuse to try something new.

      Margaret
    • Doug Saball
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
        Hi Lady Margaret;

        Cheese making is interesting and can be relatively easy.  We are investigating making goat cheese next year.  Our Nanny produces almost a gallon of milk per day!  We only have a few goats at this time but hope to get more as time goes by.

        Yes there is lots of stuff on the Internet.  I don't have the links here at work but there are a few sites I use more that others.  One is a professor in WI who has great information for beginners, and the other is a home business with supplies from western MA.  I can post the URLs if anyone wants.

        BTW I have been trying several period recipes (test on the family) from the Gode Cookery ( http://www.godecookery.com/ ).  Some have been met with approval, others well I need to work on.

        Happy cooking...

        Doug

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
          Consider this your friendly cheese reminder. Who is planning to bring
          some cheese to GNEW? When would be a good time to sample it?

          Margaret
        • gruffydd abernethy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2006
            i'm planning on bringing some if it turns out ok but
            who knows it could end up being frankencheese -
            Gruffydd

            http://mail.yahoo.com