Re: newest project

  • leofwynofwhit
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
      Shoulders are always an issue with me too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the angle of the straps over the shoulder. I did do the same thing as Elena - that of making the back of my dress higher and yes it did somewhat support the shoulders better. But I still have some difficulty keeping my shoulder straps up. And yes the sleeves definitely would drag my shoulder straps down. So for "my next trick" I plan on making my straps at an angle on the back side of my shoulder, more toward the center between my shoulder blades(not actually to the center however).

      Or maybe we just aren't getting them tight enough? If they were tighter and more restricting perhaps our shoulders would stay up, but we couldn't move our arms.......? :)

      Leo

      --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Marjorie" <jorie6568@...> wrote:

      > Tudor garb!
      >
      > I bought the Simplicity pattern #2589 for $1. I also have Claire's Period Pattern for Early Tudor. (That is the one Kelsey used.)
      >
      > The PP one is short--we had to add fabric to the bottom of Kelsey's gown. Also, she had some issues with the shoulders slipping down. Reviews I have read on the Simplicity pattern mention the same issue with the shoulders. So what is up with that? (And Karen was complaining about her shoulders at TOL--not sure on her pattern, but she said she could not wear her tie on sleeves because it pulled the shoulders way down.)
      >
      > I am seeing this complaint a lot--about the shoulders. What are people's thoughts?

    • Marjorie
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
        So I have scrapped the idea of using either commercial pattern and will draft my own with the help of The Tudor Tailor. That is, after all, why I bought it. I have been looking at it closely and have seen a couple of things that I hope will help with this shoulder issue, but that still remains to be seen.

        I am starting with the farthingale today. Then on to the bodies (corset.) I may use a commercial pattern for the farthingale. The one I have is very similiar to the one in the book.

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Marjorie" <jorie6568@...> wrote:

        > Tudor garb!
        >
        > I bought the Simplicity pattern #2589 for $1. I also have Claire's Period Pattern for Early Tudor. (That is the one Kelsey used.)
        >
        > The PP one is short--we had to add fabric to the bottom of Kelsey's gown. Also, she had some issues with the shoulders slipping down. Reviews I have read on the Simplicity pattern mention the same issue with the shoulders. So what is up with that? (And Karen was complaining about her shoulders at TOL--not sure on her pattern, but she said she could not wear her tie on sleeves because it pulled the shoulders way down.)
        >
        > I am seeing this complaint a lot--about the shoulders. What are people's thoughts?

      • Jason goodrich
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
          More than likely there were many straight pins used to keep everything where it's supposed to be.

          On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 AM, leofwynofwhit <elamache@...> wrote:

          Shoulders are always an issue with me too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the angle of the straps over the shoulder. I did do the same thing as Elena - that of making the back of my dress higher and yes it did somewhat support the shoulders better. But I still have some difficulty keeping my shoulder straps up. And yes the sleeves definitely would drag my shoulder straps down. So for "my next trick" I plan on making my straps at an angle on the back side of my shoulder, more toward the center between my shoulder blades(not actually to the center however).

          Or maybe we just aren't getting them tight enough? If they were tighter and more restricting perhaps our shoulders would stay up, but we couldn't move our arms.......? :)

          Leo

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Marjorie" <jorie6568@...> wrote:

          > Tudor garb!
          >
          > I bought the Simplicity pattern #2589 for $1. I also have Claire's Period Pattern for Early Tudor. (That is the one Kelsey used.)
          >
          > The PP one is short--we had to add fabric to the bottom of Kelsey's gown. Also, she had some issues with the shoulders slipping down. Reviews I have read on the Simplicity pattern mention the same issue with the shoulders. So what is up with that? (And Karen was complaining about her shoulders at TOL--not sure on her pattern, but she said she could not wear her tie on sleeves because it pulled the shoulders way down.)
          >
          > I am seeing this complaint a lot--about the shoulders. What are people's thoughts?

        • Marjorie Adams
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
            But shoulders?  How do you keep shoulders up with straight pins?

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
              I pinned mine to my bra straps!!! Of course, not sure if Nevell owns any bras.....don't really want to know actually.... :)

              Leo

              --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Adams <jorie6568@...> wrote:

              > But shoulders?  How do you keep shoulders up with straight pins?

            • Matthew Johnston
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                Pin them to your chemise/shift/under shirt.

                If contemporary artists in central Europe can be believed - though be careful with allegorical scenes - then shoulders slipping down was also a problem (?...I don't have a problem with it...) with some dresses in what's now Germany and Switzerland (which along with Italian fashions had a pretty strong influence on the tudor styles). There are many paintings and woodcuts which show at least one shoulder of a dress slipping off. I'd have to go back through my library to see if it seems to be mainly courtisans, prostitutes, and camp followers trying to look provocative by showing some shoulder, or if it was more acceptable and widespread than that.

                Matt

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                  do not own or wear a bra... for the record....

                  On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM, leofwynofwhit <elamache@...> wrote:

                  I pinned mine to my bra straps!!! Of course, not sure if Nevell owns any bras.....don't really want to know actually.... :)

                  Leo

                  --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Adams <jorie6568@...> wrote:

                  > But shoulders?  How do you keep shoulders up with straight pins?

                • freida smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                    a staple would work