hoop skirt storage opinion needed

  • L T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi,

      I bought a new hoop skirt for Tudor/Ren gowns. I know it can be twisted to be much smaller since it arrived "folded" in a box.

      If you have a hoop skirt, how are you storing it? With or without being folded? Has it warped any based on how you are storing it?

      I'm reluctant to store the hoop skirt folded over as it arrived when shipped to me. I'm afraid it won't pop back into the correct form. I was thinking of making a dust cover case for it so I can hang it up for storage someplace (along an empty wall or inside a closet without a door - not many spaces for it to go in my small home).

      Opinions welcome. If I needed to I could twist it for transport to a weekend event.

      Bryn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
        Is it made with one continuous wire? Or multiple rings?

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, L T <ladybrynmillar@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I bought a new hoop skirt for Tudor/Ren gowns. I know it can be
        twisted to be much smaller since it arrived "folded" in a box.

        > If you have a hoop skirt, how are you storing it? With or without
        being folded? Has it warped any based on how you are storing it?

        > I'm reluctant to store the hoop skirt folded over as it arrived when
        shipped to me. I'm afraid it won't pop back into the correct form. I
        was thinking of making a dust cover case for it so I can hang it up
        for storage someplace (along an empty wall or inside a closet without
        a door - not many spaces for it to go in my small home).

        > Opinions welcome. If I needed to I could twist it for transport to a
        weekend event.

        > Bryn

      • L T
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          4 separate hoop rings. Flattens down quite nicely but is a bit wide.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
            then I would think it would hold it's shape fine if stored flat. I
            think clare's is like that.
            cate

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
              Yes, I've stored mine a few different ways.
              1. On the dummy as part of a displayed ensemble.
              2. Simply flattened and hung on a hook on the wall.
              3. Hard to admit, but I've stored it in a very large garbage bag with
              a bit sticking out the top and hung the bag by it's straps. If you do
              this for a long time, your skirt gets a bit oblong shaped, so I
              usually only use that technique when taking it somewhere to keep it clean.

              I do not fold mine and really wouldn't recommend it, even if it can be
              done.

              Hey, thanks for your info. about the bodice. Also, I had no idea my
              name and device passed, so Whoopie!

              I've been collecting holiday table clothes at 50-70% off to use for
              garb-type experimentations, but have been too chilly to get moving on
              my projects.

              Hoop skirts can also be stored on the floor, flat against the wall,
              behind sewing tables. :)

              Much Luck,
              Clare.
              --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...>