Re: [EndeweardeTailor] Re: Bodice musings

  • L T
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
      Nice pics on that link..

      To give Clare an opinion if she's still waffling on what to do with the brocade...
      It seems that in period garments the fabric squares on the bottom of the bodice are attached individually. The scale I've most often seen in pictures is about the size of your palm or a bit more. In mens garments the period examples I've seen sometimes overlap
      so if the finished bodice bottom tabs touch a bit or overlap it would likely be ok.
      The bottom tabs on the bodice do not have to be a uniform size all around - it is ok
      if the ones in front are a bit longer to give a nice finished front point with other tabs along the sides or back decreasing by at least one size (I recall seeing only about two sizes used).

      You can look at www.margospatterns.com at the Elizabethan Ladies Wardrobe. Click on the picture and then click on the sketches of the individual pattern pieces to see how she set up her finished gowns. Those are all individual pieces for bodice skirting and shoulder "wings" (epaulets). If you have a chemise with puffy sleeves you can pull through and puff it
      up through the space between the shoulder fabric strips (or pin in some puffed up inserts in same fabric as chemise or contrasting color).

      I have this pattern and will be getting it out in a day or so once I clear some working space for it and the new hoop skirt. If you don't need the info by Jan 10th winter feast I can take
      a look at her instructions and send you relevant info for the bodice portion. The designer sends a small unbound book of info along with the pattern pieces.

      I know that sometimes women were sometimes pinned into their gowns via side closures versus being laced in (or I wonder if they didn't both lace and pin you into some garments). If you have a friend who can help you dress and feel adventurous you can usually order small sets of brass straight pins suitable for pinning you into clothing for about $10 per package (maybe 6-8 pins or more in the set). I know Historic Enterprises carries them as does the Ren Store.  Side lacing might be easier to tweak and adjust if you have to dress yourself rather than back lacing.

      Looking forward to hearing what you decide ....

      Bryn

      PS Congrats on your name and device passing!