sideless surcoat

  • Rachel Case
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
      hello everyone--
      I'm new and trying to get some garb together. I'd like to make a
      sideless surcoat, and the fabric I have is a beautiful maroon and
      forest green wool plaid. Is this appropriate for a surcoat? I've
      seen examples in medieval art...
      Any ideas or comments?
      Thanks,
      Agatha (aka Rachel)
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
        I don't see why not. Sounds warm. Burda has a nice, easy pattern for
        a sideless surcoat and undergarment. Look at
        http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html
        cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Case"

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
          Burda also has patterns for men's garb and children's, if anyone is
          interested. They "appear" to be quite simple to sew and fairly period
          in design (no princess seams, the women's tunic is two pieces, I believe).
          cate

          > http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html
        • Leofwyn
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
            As some wise person (I think it may have been Margaret) in the Shire
            once said to me - It doesn't matter what you make for garb at first,
            or what you make it out of (within reason I suppose - but there is
            always the party tunic competition at GNEW or whenever). You are going
            to be changing and adding to your wardrobe alot over the next few years.

            I say go for it. The pattern and the colors sound like they would make
            a great sideless surcoat. And it does sound warm.

            Leo