sideless surcoat

  • jessej805
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      OK, I've done this before, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around turning it right side out after i've sewn on the liner. I know it can be done, but it is beyond me right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

      Elspeth
    • Cate
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
        I pieced the liner to the outside before I put it all together. That
        way my edges looked good. Are you wearing one to GNE?
        cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "jessej805" <jessej805@...>
        wrote:

        > OK, I've done this before, but for some reason I can't wrap my
        brain around turning it right side out after i've sewn on the liner.
        I know it can be done, but it is beyond me right now. Does anyone
        have any suggestions? Please?

        > Elspeth

      • jessej805
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
          If I can get it turned around I'll wear it :-)
          I will probably wear my older one, but it has a small train and I
          don't feel like dragging or carrying it. The new one may just get a
          dose of double fold bias tape. Maybe I can peak at yours if it you
          have it at GNE

          Elspeth

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Cate" <kelley_rambo@...>
          wrote:

          > I pieced the liner to the outside before I put it all together.
          That
          > way my edges looked good. Are you wearing one to GNE?
          > cate
          >
          > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "jessej805" <jessej805@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > OK, I've done this before, but for some reason I can't wrap my
          > brain around turning it right side out after i've sewn on the
          liner.
          > I know it can be done, but it is beyond me right now. Does anyone
          > have any suggestions? Please?
          > >
          > > Elspeth

        • Cate
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2008
            If I remember and I make it to GNE, I'll bring it so you can see it.
            It's very heavy weight (good for balls in the winter), so I won't be
            wearing it. I need a new underdress for it anyway. Nothing I have
            matches it at the moment.

            wrote:

            > If I can get it turned around I'll wear it :-)
            > I will probably wear my older one, but it has a small train and I
            > don't feel like dragging or carrying it. The new one may just get a
            > dose of double fold bias tape. Maybe I can peak at yours if it you
            > have it at GNE
            >
            > Elspeth
            >

            > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Cate" <kelley_rambo@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I pieced the liner to the outside before I put it all together.
            > That
            > > way my edges looked good. Are you wearing one to GNE?
            > > cate
            > >
            > > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "jessej805" <jessej805@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > OK, I've done this before, but for some reason I can't wrap my
            > > brain around turning it right side out after i've sewn on the
            > liner.
            > > I know it can be done, but it is beyond me right now. Does anyone
            > > have any suggestions? Please?
            > > >
            > > > Elspeth

          • Rachel Case
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
              hello everyone--
              I'm new and trying to get some garb together. I'd like to make a
              sideless surcoat, and the fabric I have is a beautiful maroon and
              forest green wool plaid. Is this appropriate for a surcoat? I've
              seen examples in medieval art...
              Any ideas or comments?
              Thanks,
              Agatha (aka Rachel)
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
                I don't see why not. Sounds warm. Burda has a nice, easy pattern for
                a sideless surcoat and undergarment. Look at
                http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html
                cate

                --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Case"

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
                  Burda also has patterns for men's garb and children's, if anyone is
                  interested. They "appear" to be quite simple to sew and fairly period
                  in design (no princess seams, the women's tunic is two pieces, I believe).
                  cate

                  > http://www.sewingpatterns.com/index-burda.html
                • Leofwyn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
                    As some wise person (I think it may have been Margaret) in the Shire
                    once said to me - It doesn't matter what you make for garb at first,
                    or what you make it out of (within reason I suppose - but there is
                    always the party tunic competition at GNEW or whenever). You are going
                    to be changing and adding to your wardrobe alot over the next few years.

                    I say go for it. The pattern and the colors sound like they would make
                    a great sideless surcoat. And it does sound warm.

                    Leo