Re: corsets

  • L T
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 20, 2007
      What pictures are you looking at when you refer to the
      Tudor gown style? Just curious..

      The authors of the Tudor Tailor book have a website
      http://www.kissthefrog.co.uk/wwwtudortailor/

      They now have a few patterns (including a corset
      pattern) on their sales page here:
      http://www.kissthefrog.co.uk/wwwtudortailor/sales.htm

      You can order the Tudor Tailor book from Amazon but it
      takes a few weeks to arrive.

      One image of the back of a gathered skirt in the TT
      book mentions that it has been knife pleated. The
      front is flat to match the bodice front opening. So
      that everything fits together the front of the skirt
      is left flat but the back is pleated so the entire
      skirt waistline will fit to the bodice (and it looks
      pretty). The authors probably have a sewing machine
      with some type of gathering attachment on it (like a
      pleating foot).

      Many English womens gowns were a separate bodice and
      skirt - the skirt in that case would be cartridge
      pleated and attached to a waistband (from what I
      understand). There may be a separate closer fitting
      kirtle underneath. There may also be other skirts.

      One cheat used by some costumers who prefer to avoid
      tedious hand sewing is to use a drapery tape that has
      a couple of sturdy strings already inserted into
      channels. You sew the curtain panel fabric flat onto
      the tape and then with a couple of tugs, instant
      pleated drapes (or in our case, gathered skirt). JoAnn
      and some Mardens stores sell this (or used to the last
      time I checked - at JoAnns check the drapery section
      if it isn't with the rest of the notions). With some
      strategic planning with where the flat and gathered
      parts of the skirt-to-bodice areas will be, this might
      be an easy way to adjust the fit in the back.

      The black cotton velvet you plan to use sounds lovely.

      Bryn

      === message truncated ===

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Cate
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 20, 2007
        I was looking at some by Holbein and others of King Henry's
        daughters and wives.

        Your skill at sewing far exceeds mine. I need a dictionary just to
        understand what you're referring to, Bryn. I have to keep it very
        simple, but thanks. :-)
        Cate

        _______________

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
          Hi,

          I'm not that experienced with sewing but I have read
          about different techniques and pay attention to what
          people are doing to make ren and italian garb. I've
          had to figure for myself how to sew based on what I
          read and try.

          Here is an example of the drapery tape
          http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat221.htm

          It would likely be found in the drapery section of a
          sewing store.

          Here are some different types of pleats
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleat

          Cartridge pleating was used in period (from what I
          understand).

          Here is an article on cartridge pleating (by hand)
          http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cartpleat/

          and another
          http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/cartridgepleating101.html

          You can see why some people choose to use a modern
          convenience like drapery tape to have a pleated effect
          without worrying exactly what type of pleat is used -
          it gets the job done.

          I thought it was worth mentioning that short cut
          sewing trick if it would make it easier for you to
          decide how to construct your garment. I will probably
          try using the pleating tape next time I make a
          gathered skirt if I don't want to try cartridge
          pleating by hand.

          Bryn

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
            Hi,
            I never thought of drapery tape, very interesting.

            I used the Costume Connection Inc. Early Tudor pattern for my dress.
            They try to be very accurate. Either waist styles are fine, but I
            like the waist to come to a point, because I find it more slimming and
            pleasing to my eye. It is also the more common style, unless you are
            in Northern Europe, say Germany, Sweden, Finland, etc. The pleating
            from the back stops several inches before the opening in the center of
            the top skirt to make the sides of the opening lie flat. Use a very
            wide fold to give the opening more weight, some ladies also use a wide
            trim. The opening should reveal the underskirt which is often a
            sumptuous brocade to contrast with a velvet gown, or vis-versa, which
            may be matched to an under-sleeve, should you choose that style.

            There are many wonderful sleeve styles, you know how much I love
            sleeves! My pattern has four different styles and you are welcomed to
            borrow it. Just don't follow the two-colored bodice, Tudor style had
            solid bodices, unless you were say, German and had those nifty laces.

            Remember that you need enough fabric in your underskirt to be able to
            get over your hoop skirt. Since the top skirt is usually split, it's
            not so much of an issue.

            I have a book that Margaret lent me that has lots of amazing pictures
            on Tudor gowns. I'll try to remember to bring the book and my pattern
            to dance practice. I would love to see what kind of underskirt
            material you will use, you could be so dramatic. Here's a trick used
            by many Tudor ladies, only use your sumptuous accent material on the
            part of the underskirt that shows through, the rest is hidden, so can
            be any less expensive fabric. Don't forget the trim around the
            neck-line.

          • Cate
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
              It would be intersting to see the book - more pictures never hurts -
              and I like your suggestion about minimizing the amount of "nice"
              fabric needed for the underskirt, that helps, too.

              I hope you have fun singing on Sunday - it sounds like it will be
              neat.