Re: [EndeweardeTailor] stupid hat!

  • L T
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      Here are a few ways I've seen to secure a hat:

      Some people put a plastic hair comb(s) inside the
      attifet (Mary Stuart hat) to help secure it to the
      hair. They may also bobby pin it to stay on.

      The hat could be worn over (and pinned to) a fitted
      caul that is secured by a tie (I think you can tie it
      behind the head and it will stay put).

      Alternatively, if your hair is long enough you could
      braid it into a bun and then tack the hat into the
      braid to keep it from coming off. Or maybe
      strategically make little braids and pin the hat to
      the braids, tucking the hair up inside the hat.

      While I don't believe the long "hat pins" of later
      victorian times were used in our sca time period of
      interest, shorter pins were used to close gowns,
      secure veils, etc.

      Hope this gives you more ideas to work with.

      Bryn

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
        Hi Bryn,
        My hair is very short, which makes period head pieces very
        challenging. Bobby pins would be fine, but they don't fit over the
        rim of the the hat. I think I might have found a way, and I'm happy
        that you mentioned something very similiar. I tested it today, and it
        worked better than most of my attempts. I pinned the hat to a black
        band of fabric (I know black cauls were "in") and tucked it under my
        hair in the back. It's not very noticeable, but seems secure. I
        could pin some of my hair over the edges that show and make it
        completely invisible, but as long as people interpret it like a caul,
        as is well.

        I agree with Cate, a head wear workshop would be great.

        Thanks for all the great ideas.
        Gwen.

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, L T <ladybrynmillar@...> wrote:

        > Here are a few ways I've seen to secure a hat:
        >
        > Some people put a plastic hair comb(s) inside the
        > attifet (Mary Stuart hat) to help secure it to the
        > hair. They may also bobby pin it to stay on.
        >
        > The hat could be worn over (and pinned to) a fitted
        > caul that is secured by a tie (I think you can tie it
        > behind the head and it will stay put).
        >
        > Alternatively, if your hair is long enough you could
        > braid it into a bun and then tack the hat into the
        > braid to keep it from coming off. Or maybe
        > strategically make little braids and pin the hat to
        > the braids, tucking the hair up inside the hat.
        >
        > While I don't believe the long "hat pins" of later
        > victorian times were used in our sca time period of
        > interest, shorter pins were used to close gowns,
        > secure veils, etc.
        >
        > Hope this gives you more ideas to work with.
        >
        > Bryn
        >
        > --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > > Does anyone know of barbettes being any color other
        > > than white? If I
        > > take the Tudor ensemble, I've got to figure out how
        > > to attach my Mary
        > > Stuart hat to my hair otherwise it will fall off
        > > should I attempt to
        > > move. I was toying with the idea of attaching it to
        > > a chin strap or
        > > barbette, is there any foundation for this?
        > > Otherwise, I may just
        > > attach small ribbon segments that can be clipped to
        > > hair. Any other
        > > ideas out there?
        > >
        > > Gwen.

        > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
        surfing.
        > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

      • freida smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007