Re: stupid hat!

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
      Bobby pins?
      I think we need a workshop on head-pieces.
      Cate

      --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi" <lobster_kelaguen@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Does anyone know of barbettes being any color other than white? If I
      > take the Tudor ensemble, I've got to figure out how to attach my Mary
      > Stuart hat to my hair otherwise it will fall off should I attempt to
      > move. I was toying with the idea of attaching it to a chin strap or
      > barbette, is there any foundation for this? Otherwise, I may just
      > attach small ribbon segments that can be clipped to hair. Any other
      > ideas out there?
      >
      > Gwen.

    • L T
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
        Here are a few ways I've seen to secure a hat:

        Some people put a plastic hair comb(s) inside the
        attifet (Mary Stuart hat) to help secure it to the
        hair. They may also bobby pin it to stay on.

        The hat could be worn over (and pinned to) a fitted
        caul that is secured by a tie (I think you can tie it
        behind the head and it will stay put).

        Alternatively, if your hair is long enough you could
        braid it into a bun and then tack the hat into the
        braid to keep it from coming off. Or maybe
        strategically make little braids and pin the hat to
        the braids, tucking the hair up inside the hat.

        While I don't believe the long "hat pins" of later
        victorian times were used in our sca time period of
        interest, shorter pins were used to close gowns,
        secure veils, etc.

        Hope this gives you more ideas to work with.

        Bryn

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
          Hi Bryn,
          My hair is very short, which makes period head pieces very
          challenging. Bobby pins would be fine, but they don't fit over the
          rim of the the hat. I think I might have found a way, and I'm happy
          that you mentioned something very similiar. I tested it today, and it
          worked better than most of my attempts. I pinned the hat to a black
          band of fabric (I know black cauls were "in") and tucked it under my
          hair in the back. It's not very noticeable, but seems secure. I
          could pin some of my hair over the edges that show and make it
          completely invisible, but as long as people interpret it like a caul,
          as is well.

          I agree with Cate, a head wear workshop would be great.

          Thanks for all the great ideas.
          Gwen.

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, L T <ladybrynmillar@...> wrote:

          > Here are a few ways I've seen to secure a hat:
          >
          > Some people put a plastic hair comb(s) inside the
          > attifet (Mary Stuart hat) to help secure it to the
          > hair. They may also bobby pin it to stay on.
          >
          > The hat could be worn over (and pinned to) a fitted
          > caul that is secured by a tie (I think you can tie it
          > behind the head and it will stay put).
          >
          > Alternatively, if your hair is long enough you could
          > braid it into a bun and then tack the hat into the
          > braid to keep it from coming off. Or maybe
          > strategically make little braids and pin the hat to
          > the braids, tucking the hair up inside the hat.
          >
          > While I don't believe the long "hat pins" of later
          > victorian times were used in our sca time period of
          > interest, shorter pins were used to close gowns,
          > secure veils, etc.
          >
          > Hope this gives you more ideas to work with.
          >
          > Bryn
          >
          > --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > Does anyone know of barbettes being any color other
          > > than white? If I
          > > take the Tudor ensemble, I've got to figure out how
          > > to attach my Mary
          > > Stuart hat to my hair otherwise it will fall off
          > > should I attempt to
          > > move. I was toying with the idea of attaching it to
          > > a chin strap or
          > > barbette, is there any foundation for this?
          > > Otherwise, I may just
          > > attach small ribbon segments that can be clipped to
          > > hair. Any other
          > > ideas out there?
          > >
          > > Gwen.

          > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
          surfing.
          > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

        • freida smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007